Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2017, 05:49 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times

Advertisements

I'd like to know if you have a medical card and how you do it. I'm a dual citizen, born and raised in Canada. Now have acquired US citizenship and own a home in the US. The costs for healthcare are really high for those in their late 50s to 65. I do not work. Willing to move back to Canada for 7 months of the year and snowbird to US in winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2017, 06:00 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I'd like to know if you have a medical card and how you do it. I'm a dual citizen, born and raised in Canada. Now have acquired US citizenship and own a home in the US. The costs for healthcare are really high for those in their late 50s to 65. I do not work. Willing to move back to Canada for 7 months of the year and snowbird to US in winter.
How old were you when you left Canada?

Old 11-10-2017, 07:36 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,241,937 times
You may want to read this -

Longer Absences from Ontario - When can OHIP cover you? - Ontario Health Insurance (OHIP) - Publications - Public Information - MOHLTC

Old 11-11-2017, 12:06 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,409,476 times
Citizenship means nothing to Canadian healthcare; legal residency does. As a Canadian citizen, you have the right to move back to Canada; but if you do, you will have to establish a legal residence and wait a minimum of three months before healthcare coverage kicks in.

On this forum, we have BruSan, who spends summers in Canada and winters in the US. He might be better-informed as to your questions.

Old 11-11-2017, 04:05 AM

The reason for my question is that either the OP move away so young as to not understand how it all, works, as opposed to an adult. An adult wouldn't ask such a question, since they would NEVER assume that our system was not provincially determined.

I smell a troll.

Old 11-11-2017, 06:49 AM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
I am not a troll. I left Canada when I was 22. I was educated in Winnipeg and worked during in high school and as an adult for 1 year.

Old 11-11-2017, 09:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
On the chance you're legit, but I also find it strange you would not know about this stuff if you "grew up in Canada" and since Chevy has "outed" me I'll chime in with some info.

I'm most familiar with Ontario's OHIP provision so will premise everything based upon that but there are variance between provinces as to actual provisions within their systems, small things but they need research before you pick your preferred Province of residence.

Here's a helpful site specific to Ontario: Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care / Ministère de la Santé et des Soins de longue durée

My understanding is from years past so there may be improvements to some of these.

Upon attaining your OHIP coverage it is good for up to a 212 day absence from Canada. There are provisions for an extended stay outside Canada upon applying for it.

Other provinces used to have differing days of duration allowed out with Ontario and a couple others being the longest and the lowest being only 159 days, however, as I've already said, that may have changed.

OHIP allows you a variety of medical services within Ontario, without paying. OHIP will reimburse upon submitting a claim for any other province providing medically necessary service but you MAY be required to pay up front depending upon the medical provider's service in another province willingness to submit a claim and wait for payment..... or not.

If relying upon OHIP for medical care outside of Canada be forewarned you need to purchase additional coverage as OHIP covers only emergency related needs described as an "acute, unexpected condition, illness, disease or injury that arises while travelling and requires immediate treatment". Ambulance is not covered. Anything else you're expected to get yer butt back to Canada. It will only pay outside what it would be expected to pay inside Canada so in consideration of the foregoing, if you get sick in the U.S., you'd better have purchased the optional travel insurance or expect to lose the farm, your first born and perhaps even a cousin or two. .

It would be well worth your time to thoroughly peruse this site as they specifically exist to provide information to exactly the category of Canadian you'd be a part of:

The CSA - Voice of Travelling Canadians - Canadian Snowbird Association

Old 11-11-2017, 12:08 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:

I've read some of your other posts about your financial circumstances and your pensions. I don't think you would be able to afford to do what you are proposing.

The cost of living is much higher in Canada than it is in the states and what you might save in Canadian health insurance and health care costs in Canada won't make up for all the greater expenses you will incur trying to maintain residences and pay various taxes, etc. at the same time in two separate countries. As was already explained, health care coverage in Canada is good while in Canada but it won't cover you outside of Canada for anything except very basic emergency care when you are travelling in other countries. So you would still have to purchase additional health care insurance for when you are snowbirding in other countries and in some cases the USA will demand proof that you have purchased additional health insurance before they'll let you across the border into USA.

With reference to another post of yours - if you think you're already priced out and can't afford the deli meats stores where you live now in the states, you'll be in for a shock in Canada. You'll find the meats and most other basic foods you take for granted in America will NOT be easily affordable for you in Canada and you will have to lower your living standards just to afford to eat.

I hope you will do a lot of careful research about the cost of living in Canada before you attempt to take such a big step and incur all the extra expenses of living in two countries.

Old 11-11-2017, 12:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,301,330 times
Quote:

You may be eligible for Medicaid in the US, especially the states that will cover you if you are within 138% of the federal poverty level (and you keep your house).

I have to agree with Zoisite...it makes much more sense to find a solution for you in the US.

Old 11-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I am not a troll. I left Canada when I was 22. I was educated in Winnipeg and worked during in high school and as an adult for 1 year.
Perhaps, but I just find it odd that someone who left at 22 years of age ,wouldn't know it's provincial, and that there is not such thing as a CDN Medical Card and that each province has it's own.

I also don't understand why you wouldn't just Google your answer using the province you are deciding to move to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada