U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 08:26 PM

3,153 posts, read 2,069,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Would like to know how many Americans migrate each year to go to other countries in total globally.

Yes and I would be interesting to see the ratio of Canadians moving to the US vs. Americans moving north....

But, as I said take it from my experience...no Americans at my Canada oath of allegiance but quite few Canadians at my American one....when I moved to Canada getting my Permanent Residence permit was a joke, in US I would not even have applied (not interested int he US at that time anyway) because there were 0 chances. US immigration process is WAY more difficult and selective than the Canadian one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:30 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,043,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
Most of them cannot live permanently in the US because they do not actually get Green Cards...but let me assure you that I saw quite few Canadians on work permits in the US fighting tooth and nail to get their employer to sponsor them for an actual Green Card (very slow and expensive process).

In my limited circle of acquaintances never heard of a single one of them not trying to get a GC.
I'm assuming that these are white-collar, university-educated professionals trying to move to the U.S.? That street runs two ways; since university, I've known professionals from overseas trying everything they can think of to stay in Canada permanently too. But it's worth asking, why an educated professional who has their family, friends, etc., in Canada, might prefer to move to the U.S. It's generally because it's perceived to be more lucrative. We should ask why that should be the case.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,043,103 times
Quote:
Yes and I would be interesting to see the ratio of Canadians moving to the US vs. Americans moving north....

But, as I said take it from my experience...no Americans at my Canada oath of allegiance but quite few Canadians at my American one....when I moved to Canada getting my Permanent Residence permit was a joke, in US I would not even have applied (not interested int he US at that time anyway) because there were 0 chances. US immigration process is WAY more difficult and selective than the Canadian one.
Uh, yes, it's too bad you couldn't just have a baby on U.S. soil.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I'm assuming that these are white-collar, university-educated professionals trying to move to the U.S.? That street runs two ways; since university, I've known professionals from overseas trying everything they can think of to stay in Canada permanently too. But it's worth asking, why an educated professional who has their family, friends, etc., in Canada, might prefer to move to the U.S. It's generally because it's perceived to be more lucrative. We should ask why that should be the case.

Depends on where they come from.....Canada is always been considered a second tier choice for professionals around the world compared to the US, sorry but it is a fact. I can tell you with absolute certainty that even now there are people without any university education being sponsored for Permanent Residence in Canada and getting in quite easily.....two cases I know personally, a barista for an Italian cafe and a high end clothing store salesperson in Vancouver......that would never ever happen in the US, no chance a person like that would get a Green Card, not even a H1B no way.

I did personally set an appointment with an immigration attorney in Seattle for a couple that got in Canada on a business visa (approved in 6 months years ago), no chance, sorry, the attorney said, you do not qualify.

Few years ago a good friend of mine (from Europe) was working for one of the big accounting firm in California, she was on a working visa and eventually was not able to get a GC (and she wanted to)...the company offered her the same position in Vancouver BC if she could get a PR and she got it in few months.

The motivation for Canadian professionals to move are better opportunities, better pay, different landscape.

If young and not committed, they can put roots in the US.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:53 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,128,404 times
Quote:
True but there is no beating around the bush....the US is a stronger magnet for immigrants compared to Canada and for a lot of reasons...I was an immigrant and I been around immigrants.

If I were independently wealthy I would not live in either country....
Well the U.S is a nation that has a larger overall economy and 9 times more people and a much bigger presence on the world stage.. There are few if any nations globally that have a bigger presense on the global conscience if you will - its just a country that is more on the brain than pretty much any other.. American pop culture, fast food, its media etc so for a combination of reasons yes, people are more aware of it and also more familiar with it. On a per cap basis Canada takes in more immigrants though. The vast majority of those who come stay, some leave - big deal. That is life.. Arguing and splitting hairs over which is more of a magnet is nonsense as far as i'm concerned when most people who come to either country are very happy to not be living in the place they fled for a variety of reasons.

I'm not even sure tbh and I say this with respect to your freedom to express yourself in whatever way you see fit Saturno, but you moved to Canada and you left. You are happier in the States but you keep coming in the Canada forums largely posting about how much better the U.S is over Canada or how much better Seattle is than Vancouver.. Sorry, but that is just weird no? What are you trying to accomplish?

Old 09-29-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

I'm not even sure tbh and I say this with respect to your freedom to express yourself in whatever way you see fit Saturno, but you moved to Canada and you left. You are happier in the States but you keep coming in the Canada forums largely posting about how much better the U.S is over Canada or how much better Seattle is than Vancouver.. Sorry, but that is just weird no?

Is not weird because I do not think the US is necessarily "better"...I'm in a forum and we discuss with others, there are others that moved out of Canada and are on the forum I'm not the only one....

Old 09-29-2015, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Depends on where they come from.....Canada is always been considered a second tier choice for professionals around the world compared to the US, sorry but it is a fact. .
Who cares though? Yes its a larger economy with more opportunities to make a splash in the corporate world.. Some people just want to live a modest and comfortable life in a safe and secure place. They don't have aspirations to be Donald Trump or Elon Musk.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Is not weird because I do not think the US is necessarily "better"...I'm in a forum and we discuss with others, there are others that moved out of Canada and are on the forum I'm not the only one....
Ok and......?? The U.S has a bigger economy and?? Is it surprising there are more opportunities in the corporate world in the U.S than Canada? No! and??

Is there a message here Saturno? Do you have suggestions? Is there something that needs to be changed in Canada in your eyes.. Are you wanting Canada to be a first tier professional choice for immigrants and compete with the U.S?

Old 09-29-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Who cares though? Yes its a larger economy with more opportunities to make a splash in the corporate world.. Some people just want to live a modest and comfortable life in a safe and secure place. They don't have aspirations to be Donald Trump or Elon Musk.

Fusion I did not start this thread....you can have a modest comfortable life in the US too or Europe....motivation to move is not only money sometimes...

Old 09-29-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Fusion I did not start this thread....you can have a modest comfortable life in the US too or Europe....motivation to move is not only money sometimes...
Bingo you just nailed it.. Motivation to move somewhere isn't just about money.. With that said, most people who move are motivated for a better life for whatever reason(s). For most who come to Canada they are working towards a better life. Most stay and most accomplish that goal, either for them or their children.. I didn't insinuate this can't be found in the U.S and Europe at all.. Naturally you can have a modest and comfortable life in most any 1st world nation..

I just don't understand why you are constantly harping about how much more of a magnet the U.S is than Canada.. It makes no sense to me... It would be like me going into the U.S forum and harping on those people because our cities are safer.. Ok and?? They'd just get annoyed and rightfully so. They'd be asking themselves what is this guys objective, what is he trying to accomplish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or