Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2015, 03:04 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,419,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Sort of like those 2 American brothers I met in France, when after hearing nothing but Euro pop on the radio for a few days exclaimed, " Finally an American band " when the Beatles came on.

Works both ways.

Similar to when I went to a junior woman's hockey game between two rivals, a team from outside of Detroit, and a team the Windsor area. When the Canadian team came out, they came out to "American Woman". Two people next to me who were rooting for the away team, from Michigan (you could tell by their "yooper" accent), said something like "The idiots play this song, and it's American!" And it was not the Lenny Kravitz version.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2015, 03:06 PM

1,523 posts, read 2,862,870 times
Quote:
Sort of like those 2 American brothers I met in France, when after hearing nothing but Euro pop on the radio for a few days exclaimed, " Finally an American band " when the Beatles came on.

Works both ways.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Similar to when I went to a junior woman's hockey game between two rivals, a team from outside of Detroit, and a team the Windsor area. When the Canadian team came out, they came out to "American Woman". Two people next to me who were rooting for the away team, from Michigan, said something like "The idiots play this song, and it's American!" And it was not the Lenny Kravitz version.

Not quite the same thing - they weren't blatantly copying French culture while lambasting the French - but nonetheless funny scenarios worth sharing!

Old 09-30-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbesdj View Post
Not quite the same thing - they weren't blatantly copying French culture while lambasting the French - but nonetheless funny scenarios worth sharing!
Hmm. Yeah I guess you're right. lol

Either way, ignorance knows no borders. I think we can all agree on that one.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:26 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Our friend Nat has given us the classic Canadian response to this: "I was in Tokyo and there were 35,000 crazy Japanese kids in a stadium singing along with every word sung by Lady Gaga! You see, it's the same everywhere!"

But the difference is that almost everywhere in the world American culture *complements* the national culture.

In Anglo-Canada, American culture (largely) *supplants* the national culture.

It makes a huge difference.
exactly.
She is desperately trying to deny a fact even blind people can see. In vain of course.

Not any country in the world other than Canada allows American pop culture to completely replace local culture to the extent that you don't even see the difference.

The Uk for example still produces tons of British content despite being English speaking. British actors sometimes do American movies too but not every moves to LA as the default career choice. BBC keeps producing high quality products even The US can't compete. What great stuff Canada churned out every year? English Canada basically gives up completely.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:36 PM

2,829 posts, read 3,171,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
exactly.
She is desperately trying to deny a fact even blind people can see. In vain of course.

Not any country in the world other than Canada allows American pop culture to completely replace local culture to the extent that you don't even see the difference.

The Uk for example still produces tons of British content despite being English speaking. British actors sometimes do American movies too but not every moves to LA as the default career choice. BBC keeps producing high quality products even The US can't compete. What great stuff Canada churned out every year? English Canada basically gives up completely.
I agree with what most people are saying on here, but somehow, the tone of this entire thread is implying that there is something intrinsically wrong and humiliating with following American culture.

I think people should just relax. We are talking about music, movies, entertainment, and these things can be universally enjoyed regardless of national boundaries.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:59 PM

112 posts, read 141,280 times
Canada is cold too, you forget to mention as your CON.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:13 PM

26,873 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Stuff like what?
Oops. I meant the CBC and Kim Kardashian.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:22 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
In my opinion even Australia, which have some sort of "parallel universe" American lifestyle, manages to have a more visibly different culture than US compared to Canada.

Obviously their accent, their music, some or their food habits, their sports scene, some of their cars (they actually managed to have their own car industry until now with uniquely Australian models designed in Australia even if produced by American capital) and their movie industry is actually very very good lately.....and Sydney has never posed as an American town in movies like Vancouver does over and over ...

Australian movies lately are in another league compared to Canada.

Last edited by saturno_v; 09-30-2015 at 04:34 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 04:37 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
I agree with what most people are saying on here, but somehow, the tone of this entire thread is implying that there is something intrinsically wrong and humiliating with following American culture.

I think people should just relax. We are talking about music, movies, entertainment, and these things can be universally enjoyed regardless of national boundaries.
Sane post. I don't quite understand what the big deal is.. Its music, movies and entertainment. I enjoy entertainment from across the world over the internet (I don't have cable).. It would be nice to see more Canadian produced stuff and that we support more strongly but i'm not going to lose sleep over it. People from outside the R.O.C shouldn't either though it clearly is causing a greater deal of distress and consternation for some people in here

Last edited by fusion2; 09-30-2015 at 05:12 PM..

Old 09-30-2015, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
In my opinion even Australia, which have some sort of "parallel universe" American lifestyle, manages to have a more visibly different culture than US compared to Canada.

Obviously their accent, their music, some or their food habits, their sports scene, some of their cars (they actually managed to have their own car industry until now with uniquely Australian models designed in Australia even if produced by American capital) and their movie industry is actually very very good lately.....and Sydney has never posed as an American town in movies like Vancouver does over and over ...

Australian movies lately are in another league compared to Canada.

If Australia was physically attached to America, it would be in no way different than Canada is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada