U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:00 PM
 
Location: Cloquet, Minnesota, United States of America
17 posts, read 12,666 times
Reputation: 58

Advertisements

As someone who has lived in both Canada and the US, this is pretty accurate except for the $20/lb of chicken.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 PM
 
2 posts, read 2,984 times
Reputation: 83
For the record I didn't mean to type $20 a lb of chicken, I made a typo. Sorry about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:07 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Good lord. LMAO. Sounds like the GTA is 10 years behind Manitoba too, never mind the U.S. Bahaha. Something ain't right about the 'facts' in that post.
Its embellished.. There are some general truths - lot sizes probably are smaller in Toronto/GTA because it is a more densely packed urban area than most cities in the U.S.. 3yrs for a Doc though - hogwash you simply can't be looking.. Same thing with alcohol - 30 bucks is true but its not cheap swill stuff either (which you can buy a lot more of in the U.S but its cheap crap that isn't stocked up here).

I'd still like to know where to buy 10 dollar a carton ice cream though lol.. Even Haagen Dazs is maximum 7 bucks and that's at a convenience store type place which always charge more. At the very least if the OP was serious they'd mention the brand of ice cream to ensure we are comparing apples to apples.. You can pay 1.99 for a cheap 2L carton of Chapmans basic ice cream but its not very good.. I bought their premium Gelato at Walmart for 2.47 and its pretty good!

Going rate for a 2L tub of standard common Breyers or Parlour Ice Cream in the GTA at say NO Frills or Food basics is 3.99 and often on sale for 2.99. Same thing with eggs - 12 eggs going rate large size about 2.69... You can often get them on sale somewhere for 1.99 (as I did at Shoppers this weekend) but 4 bucks for a dozen eggs - yeah total nonsense!

I almost fell off the couch what they mentioned about a phone plan.. 200 dollars a month for 200 minutes or something like that umm sure.. I pay 56 bucks a month with my FIDO plan and have an LG G3 tab with 1000 daytime minutes free per month, 500mgs of data and unlimited International texts and unlimited calls after 5pm on LTE network. This is a decent plan but by no means is it extraordinarily good either - pretty common going rate..

Last edited by fusion2; 09-28-2015 at 08:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ♥ 🍁 ♥
7,268 posts, read 6,597,679 times
Reputation: 14274
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger2usa View Post

......We are in our late 30's and also lived in the US for eight years before coming here because he is American. Now we have relocated back to the US after we both have had our fill of Canada, to say the least.
Please make up your mind. Where is "here"? You say you were in Canada and now have relocated to USA but you keep on referring throughout your post to "here" as the place you're complaining about. So where are you now, really, USA or Canada?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ger2usa View Post
*Food is outrageous. Chicken is $2/lb in US, here it's $20/lb. Ice cream is $10 per carton compared to $4.......

....... my biggest peeves about Canadians.
BWAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!




$20 a pound for chicken !?!

Bwahahaha again. Stop, you're killing me from laughing.



If anybody needed any one single clue that you've never been to Canada and don't know what you're talking about that was it.




And that means you don't know what you're talking about in any of the rest of your post. So you're just trolling.


A poor excuse for an attempt at trolling.




.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:20 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,692 posts, read 6,543,509 times
Reputation: 8193
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Its embellished.. There are some general truths - lot sizes probably are smaller in Toronto/GTA because it is a more densely packed urban area than most cities in the U.S.. 3yrs for a Doc though - hogwash you simply can't be looking.. Same thing with alcohol - 30 bucks is true but its not cheap swill stuff either (which you can buy a lot more of in the U.S but its cheap crap that isn't stocked up here).

I'd still like to know where to buy 10 dollar a carton ice cream though lol.. Even Haagen Dazs is maximum 7 bucks and that's at a convenience store type place which always charge more. At the very least if the OP was serious they'd mention the brand of ice cream to ensure we are comparing apples to apples.. You can pay 1.99 for a cheap 2L carton of Chapmans basic ice cream but its not very good.. I bought their premium Gelato at Walmart for 2.47 and its pretty good!

Going rate for a 2L tub of standard common Breyers or Parlour Ice Cream in the GTA at say NO Frills or Food basics is 3.99 and often on sale for 2.99. Same thing with eggs - 12 eggs going rate large size about 2.69... You can often get them on sale somewhere for 1.99 but 4 bucks for a dozen eggs - yeah total nonsense!
There are some kind of enhanced vitamin eggs here that are about $4 a dozen. And there is a small specialty ice cream maker, local, where 2 litres of ice cream will set you back about $10. I know I've seen Americans in some cities in the US on the Food forum here discussing the price of eggs, and some have mentioned $4 a dozen. So I know it varies and just mentioning the price of eggs anywhere isn't the whole story because there is no way of knowing what is being compared.

And as I have a simple flip phone and I recently broke the screen, I have been checking out expanded cell phone plans in case I go for one of those 'free' phones with a two year contract, so I know that the cell phone prices the OP talks about aren't in line with what is being offered in Manitoba.

And my post was tongue-in-cheek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:24 PM
 
Location: Gatineau, QC, Canada
3,402 posts, read 4,450,345 times
Reputation: 4409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Please make up your mind. Where is "here"? You say you were in Canada and now have relocated to USA but you keep on referring throughout your post to "here" as the place you're complaining about. So where are you now, really, USA or Canada?




BWAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!




$20 a pound for chicken !?!

Bwahahaha again. Stop, you're killing me from laughing.



If anybody needed any one single clue that you've never been to Canada and don't know what you're talking about that was it.




And that means you don't know what you're talking about in any of the rest of your post. So you're just trolling.


A poor excuse for an attempt at trolling.




.
But no it was a typo don't you see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:28 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,169,964 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
But no it was a typo don't you see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd like to know what the typo was supposed to be, since it wasn't clarified in the admission of a typo.

$2? $0? $1? 9? $-? $`?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Canada
170 posts, read 137,361 times
Reputation: 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by ger2usa View Post
People call the US 'the states'. Annoying. Canadians have an incredible inferiority complex. They read meaning into everything. They don't understand that the US doesn't care about them. They just aren't relevant. Canadians meanwhile are obsessed with Americans and the US. They love to bash the US or point out where they did some tiny thing better. They love to be like "Boom! We beat you". They don't realize Americans are not even aware we were in some sort of competition.

* Inclusiveness - Canadians are not as open to new ideas as Americans and often shut out anyone who stray with insults and brands like "sexist". On the other hand they talk about Canada as a perfect paradise where everyone is accepted totally regardless of race, gender, religion, background but this is not true at all. This is the hypocrisy that is one my biggest peeves about Canadians.
I'll second these points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
There are some kind of enhanced vitamin eggs here that are about $4 a dozen. And there is a small specialty ice cream maker, local, where 2 litres of ice cream will set you back about $10. I know I've seen Americans in some cities in the US on the Food forum here discussing the price of eggs, and some have mentioned $4 a dozen. So I know it varies and just mentioning the price of eggs anywhere isn't the whole story because there is no way of knowing what is being compared.

And as I have a simple flip phone and I recently broke the screen, I have been checking out expanded cell phone plans in case I go for one of those 'free' phones with a two year contract, so I know that the cell phone prices the OP talks about aren't in line with what is being offered in Manitoba.

And my post was tongue-in-cheek.
I knew you were being tongue-in-cheek

but yeah you totally have to compare the same or equiv products.. Heck i'm sure there are 4 dollar a dozen eggs in the U.S - what Omega 3 super duper brain power eggs or something.

Good luck phone shopping!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 PM
 
449 posts, read 279,918 times
Reputation: 755
Wow! I knew Canada was more expensive than the US, but is it really such a dramatic difference?

As for inclusiveness, as a minority who has lived in the US for almost her entire life and visited Canada (albeit only a few times), I've actually felt significantly more comfortable in Canada. I didn't feel out of place there. I think Canada's multicultural attitude really distinguishes it from the US, where there tends to be more of an expectation for minorities to act "American". Of course, you probably have a better sense of the situation than I do, since you've lived there for years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top