Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 10:31 AM

7,306 posts, read 9,314,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You forgot to add one.

- Thinks he is culturally sophisticated because he travels "internationally" to buy milk and groceries.
Well, you will have to explain that one. I know of no one willing to travel five hours for milk and groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 07:10 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well, you will have to explain that one. I know of no one willing to travel five hours for milk and groceries.
Same here and Vancouver is close to the border. The only people who may do it as a regular practice would live a very short drive to the border. Even then....

Makes no sense for me to get in my car. Drive an hour to the border. Waste an hour or two to cross. Grocery shop in a small town with limited selections and go home.

I wouldn't buy any dairy...since I'm don't like the hormones put in US dairy. The dairy that is hormone free in the US is the same price ( now actually more since the dollar fell ) than at home.

It is really crazy since I live within walking distance to a fantastic public market, and at least 10 good stores near me.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Are you anglo Nat

You're going against mainstream anglo Canadiana/americana - how dare you lol..

Take a look at this - and while you're right net inward migration is a def factor, my point was that an increasingly diverse populace will influence even a strong base. We can make generalizations of what we think Anglo Canadians views are and be staunch about it only to miss what is changing before our eyes..

Change is in the air in Conservative Alberta and opposition parties stand to gain - Politics - CBC News
My ethnic background is Quebecois ( family came over from France in the 1640's ) and Irish. ( Grandmother born in England, to an Irish mother, came over to Vancouver in 1906 or so )

I was lucky since as I mentioned we ate a variety of food growing up. I was eating Indian curry in the mid 1960's...and Chinese....back then most restaurants served us a bastardized version of Chinese...not broken up into regions etc. However I remember going to Chinatown with our family and m dad ordering things that he learned to love from his good friend. He even used to make is own Wonton Soup at home.

I had to teach my partner how to use chopsticks LOL. I've been using them since I was 4 or so.

The mix was great in our neighbourhood. It's not just the neighbourhood baseball games, I remember but the food!!!

Good article.

Alberta is changing for sure. Stereotypes abound but look at what has happened! NDP...and one of the most beloved mayors in Canada who blows all stereotypes of what people think Alberta is, right out of the water.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
You forgot to add one.

- Thinks he is culturally sophisticated because he travels "internationally" to buy milk and groceries.
The irony of your post is astounding if the following is true.

You are Canadian.

Old 10-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Super easy thing to do. Typical Canadian:

Someone who doesn't speak another langue other than English, cooks with the oven and eats hotdogs/burgers/beef in large chunks 90% of the time, has never set his foot outside North America, gets all his knowledge about the rest of the word from Canadian/American news, and lives in a suburban single family house dwelling after having kids.
You're hanging with the wrong crowd. I admit though I only speak English...but hey...there is a reason you do.

Old 10-04-2015, 10:18 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My ethnic background is Quebecois ( family came over from France in the 1640's ) and Irish. ( Grandmother born in England, to an Irish mother, came over to Vancouver in 1906 or so )

I was lucky since as I mentioned we ate a variety of food growing up. I was eating Indian curry in the mid 1960's...and Chinese....back then most restaurants served us a bastardized version of Chinese...not broken up into regions etc. However I remember going to Chinatown with our family and m dad ordering things that he learned to love from his good friend. He even used to make is own Wonton Soup at home.

I had to teach my partner how to use chopsticks LOL. I've been using them since I was 4 or so.

The mix was great in our neighbourhood. It's not just the neighbourhood baseball games, I remember but the food!!!

Good article.

Alberta is changing for sure. Stereotypes abound but look at what has happened! NDP...and one of the most beloved mayors in Canada who blows all stereotypes of what people think Alberta is, right out of the water.
Cool nice background info

As for Alberta - i'm glad it is turning assumptions on their head.. It should be sobering for anyone who thinks they have groups in this country figured out!

Old 10-19-2015, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 20,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Wow, some of that information is plain misleading and outdated.

- You have an MBA and only make $25/hr after 15 years of experience? I have a master's with only 2 years of experience, and I'm easily making more than that.

- $200 / month for a 200-minute cell plan? If you willingly pay for that kind of cell plan, then you DESERVE to be ripped off. I pay $85 / month with Roger's right now and have unlimited North American coverage, unlimited minutes, 5 GB data, and unlimited text.

- $20 / lbs of chicken: I wonder what that chicken is made of. I regularly shop at Whole Foods in downtown, probably the most expensive grocery store in all of GTA, and I have yet to witness $20 / lbs chicken.

Seriously, stop trolling us. Can't have a successful life of your own, so you blame everything on society and other external factors. Classic.
Ever been to Inuvik or anywhere else in the far north? Those prices are pretty legit... never found that in the gta though..

Old 10-19-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickdealer View Post
Ever been to Inuvik or anywhere else in the far north? Those prices are pretty legit... never found that in the gta though..
Not too many people live in Inuvik or the far north though so transportation/logistics costs of getting goods to places where there are very few inhabitants is why things would be so expensive.. Its hardly representative of where most Canadians live which is in larger urban areas straddling the U.S border.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:24 AM

283 posts, read 259,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
true, but if you ever attempt to find a job in those cities, you would know the real difference. Vancouver vs. New York City, seriously? The entire Canada west of Ontario is a fraction of NYC.
Metro NYC has a larger economy than the whole of Canada combined. $1.56 Trillion US as of last year, likely $1.6 Trillion+ now. Canada was $1.95T CAD ($1.49T US) as of Q2 2015.

The economy of Manhattan Island alone is probably around twice the size of BC, nevermind Vancouver...

Old 10-21-2015, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZachF View Post
Metro NYC has a larger economy than the whole of Canada combined. $1.56 Trillion US as of last year, likely $1.6 Trillion+ now. Canada was $1.95T CAD ($1.49T US) as of Q2 2015.

The economy of Manhattan Island alone is probably around twice the size of BC, nevermind Vancouver...
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada