U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 12:48 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,295,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Back to the prices. We just drove through lower Ontario between Niagara Falls CA and Sarnia to avoid going near Chicago. We paid just about as much for a lunch in a roadside diner as we would in the US. The clerk laughed at our 15 year old Canadian currency but took it anyway.

Next year I am planning a solo drive to the maritime provinces with the goal of driving to St. John's Newfoundland.
fail to see how this is "back to the prices". One meal on the roadside proves what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 01:21 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,552,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
CTV and Global and the private networks/stations are by far the worst. Sometimes I'll be watching the CTV news channel and five stories in a row (basically an entire segment) will be feeds from U.S. networks: Donald Trump says something stupid; an Interstate highway sniper gets arrested somewhere; tornadoes wreck a town in Oklahoma; a high school in Georgia won't allow a gay teen to go to the prom; a big snow storm hit Alburquerque NM; a cat in Nebraska learned how to play Jingle Bells on the piano...

When you really think about it, it's probably mostly just corporate laziness: it costs a lot less for CTV and Global to grab these feeds off the U.S. news services they pay a flat fee to access than it does to have the larger news teams they'd need to fill up their programming mostly with news from Canada.

But it still contributes to the Americanization of Canada, and the perception that people have that it's just a satellite or a cultural colony of the U.S.

That's why when I watch Canadian news in English I always watch the CBC.
I don't deny that there is a dumbing down of journalism in general but you can't seriously think that any of those stories are somehow unique to Canadian news. Those things make news all over the world, sometimes as human interest stories, and sometimes, as in the case of Trump, it may seem like a joke until you consider just what country he wants to be the leader of. http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/29/wo...show.html?_r=0

Old 09-29-2015, 01:25 PM

2,566 posts, read 2,189,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
No, that snow storm was not expected to affected Canada - plus, even if it did, send journalists to where it is expected to affect, not New York City for Christ's sake. That was beyond pathetic. Did you ever see New York Times sending reports to Montreal to report on the weather?

Yes, other countries reported about it, but didn't send staff. I am sure Der Spiegel doesn't send journalists to Lyon to report an upcoming snow storm.

Find all the excuse you can come up with. Doesn't change the fact that Canada is so obsessed with the US in a pathological way, and the obsession is definitely not mutual.
You are right. Der Spiegel doesn't send people to Lyon to report a snow storm. In fact, they actually sent one of their most senior journalists to New York to report on the January 2015 storm: Schneesturm in New York und an der Ostküste: 60 Millionen Amerikaner bunkern sich ein - SPIEGEL ONLINE - New York City

Hmm isn't that bizarre, why might people in Germany care about a snow storm in New York city 4000 miles away? I think you are just pathologically wired to prove that your point is always right and others are wrong. When others' statements don't conform to your narrow world view, then you call them "excuses". Really quite pathetic and petty.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
You are right. Der Spiegel doesn't send people to Lyon to report a snow storm. In fact, they actually sent one of their most senior journalists to New York to report on the January 2015 storm: Schneesturm in New York und an der Ostküste: 60 Millionen Amerikaner bunkern sich ein - SPIEGEL ONLINE - New York City

Hmm isn't that bizarre, why might people in Germany care about a snow storm in New York city 4000 miles away? I think you are just pathologically wired to prove that your point is always right and others are wrong. When others' statements don't conform to your narrow world view, then you call them "excuses". Really quite pathetic and petty.
Ach du lieber...

Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 PM

21,962 posts, read 27,422,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Ach du lieber...
Ahh... mein liebe!

Old 09-29-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Ahh... mein liebe!
I'm going to feel stupid if you know this but it's sometimes hard to tell on the internet, but in case you don't know, Ach du lieber is a common German exclamation, not an endearment, mein Schatz...

Old 09-29-2015, 02:17 PM

18,354 posts, read 10,418,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Really? I am sure a similar accident happening in India will be nowhere to be found in Canadian media. Aren't there more Indians than Americans in Canada?

More importantly, if a similar accident happens in Ontario, nobody in New York or Michigan would care.

As usual, you NEVER finds a single flaw with Canada. I don't remember you ever pointing out one single problem with Canada (except in terms of government/politics). So much more than a bit more nationalistic than average.
That's just horse pucky Botti. Every time a bus goes off a cliff in India or a train collision happens we get the full story over here.

I believe I also stated that America would probably not even report about a major car accident just a few hundred miles north of them in my post. Now considering news as being simply news, would you characterize that as being a positive or an indictment of their media priorities?

As usual you don't find anything positive about Canada.

Canada has many flaws Botti, but the ones you choose to bellyache over are mindlessly inane and usually incorrectly premised from the get-go.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:18 PM

You guys are kidding yourselves if you think you beat me to this. The reporter is based in New York and has been working there since 2005. Der Spiegel didn't fly him from Berlin or Munich just to report a possible snowstorm, something CTV did.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/marcpitzke

Old 09-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

As usual you don't find anything positive about Canada.
Oh, really? I never said anything positive about Canada? hum...hundreds of my posts seem to indicate otherwise. Check my posting history in the past five days and you will know.

On the other hand, you choose to never talk about anything negative as if it is a taboo. That's a fact.

Old 09-29-2015, 02:21 PM

3,156 posts, read 2,079,155 times
Quote:
Yes, immigrants as a sub-set of society are more likely to look at heading south. I definitely believe that.

I mean, Canada for some immigrants is clearly a stepping stone to the U.S. if they get accepted here first.

It's always been like that. Even if many Canadians don't like to hear it.

Interesting you say that...as an immigrant, I did choose Canada because of Canada not as substitute for the US (but I admit I did not know much about Canada back then, it was more the "idea" of Canada)....at that time my choices were either Canada or Australia, the US never entered the picture.

After few years I moved to the US for family reason (I got married) and I quickly understood why an immigrant would choose the US over Canada.....not that Canada is bad but.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or