Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2015, 01:56 PM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I wonder about perogies ?
One of my favourite food origin fights is baklava. Who invented that again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 05:51 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,296,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I don't see it as the same at all. Only 9 states have severance pay laws...some seem quite complex.

https://www.shrm.org/LegalIssues/Sta...ncePayLaws.pdf

There is no federal severance pay legislation

"Severance pay is often granted to employees upon termination of employment. It is usually based on length of employment for which an employee is eligible upon termination. There is no requirement in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) for severance pay. Severance pay is a matter of agreement between an employer and an employee (or the employee's representative). The Employee Benefits Security Administration (EBSA) may be able to assist an employee who did not receive severance benefits under their employer-sponsored plan."

U.S. Department of Labor - Find It By Topic - Wages - Severance Pay

In Canada it's country wide and very clear cut, even down to how it is calculated.

Severance Pay | Ministry of Labour

This article says

"Severance pay for laid-off workers is only mandatory when it's included in the terms and conditions of an employment agreement or a labor union contract. Less than half of U.S. companies provide employees with a severance package, according to Bob Skladany in his July 2009 AARP article"

Do You Always Get Paid Severance When You Are Laid Off? | Chron.com

So no, not the same at all.

Nat, we did talk about this before, pretty much any US company even the very worse or the smallest ones give you severance pay in real life.....the same as vacation, theoretically no mandatory by US Federal laws but everybody gets at least 2 weeks even in the lousiest shops....same for sick leave.

Where Canada is noticeably more generous than the US on average real life scenarios is maternity leave.....still a far cry compared to some European countries.

Old 10-01-2015, 06:49 PM

579 posts, read 664,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
true, but the divide between Canada and the US is also negligible in the grand scheme of things.
Seattle, Vancouver, NYC or Portland Maine, they are all highly similar from a cultural perspective no matter how you amplify to difference.
I wouldn't be so sure... they may be highly similar from an European or Asian standpoint, but let's not forget that regional differences between two otherwise highly similar cultures can throw people off-balance.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
I wouldn't be so sure... they may be highly similar from an European or Asian standpoint, but let's not forget that regional differences between two otherwise highly similar cultures can throw people off-balance.
They're all still part of the same broader cultural space: Anglo North America. There are multiple cultural spaces out there, and often places are part of more than one as they can overlap.

In the case of the cities mentioned, the Anglo North American cultural space is the dominant one, and for most people tonight it defined what they watched on TV, what book they read, what music they listened to, what they had for dinner, what concert they attended, what nursery rhyme they sang to their kids, what movie they went to see, what clothes they wore, etc.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:59 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
They're all still part of the same broader cultural space: Anglo North America. There are multiple cultural spaces out there, and often places are part of more than one as they can overlap.

In the case of the cities mentioned, the Anglo North American cultural space is the dominant one, and for most people tonight it defined what they watched on TV, what book they read, what music they listened to, what they had for dinner, what concert they attended, what nursery rhyme they sang to their kids, what movie they went to see, what clothes they wore, etc.
I ate Chicken Souvlaki tonight and watched a Danish documentary on the Indonesian killings of the communist community back in 65-66 when Suharto overthrew Sukarno..

Old 10-01-2015, 09:04 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I ate Chicken Souvlaki tonight and watched a Danish documentary on the Indonesian killings of the communist community back in 65-66 when Suharto overthrew Sukarno..
Crap! fusion you'll almost certainly go into American withdrawal. Better catch a bit of slush TV before going to bed. The Kardashians or somesuch.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:05 PM

Quote:
i ate chicken souvlaki tonight and watched a danish documentary on the indonesian killings of the communist community back in 65-66 when suharto overthrew sukarno..
hahahahahaahaha

Old 10-01-2015, 09:14 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
hahahahahaahaha
I'm being serious though lol.. I did have Chicken Souvlaki today and watched the Act of Killing.. MASSIVE portion too so grabbed it for lunch and brought the rest home for dinner - two meals in one.. Tomorrow for lunch we go for Hakka - we are going to try the Bami Goreng this time mmmmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Crap! fusion you'll almost certainly go into American withdrawal. Better catch a bit of slush TV before going to bed. The Kardashians or somesuch.
Lol I think the truth is even in our 'homogenous' anglo-canamerican society, the impact of multiculturalism, globalization and the internet is just fusing cultural aspects of the entire world together like never before.. I can proudly admit I have not wathed Honey Boo or the Kardasians lol.. I have ZERO idea why any of these shows gained traction when there are far more compelling things to watch.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:17 PM

Quote:

Lol I think the truth is even in our 'homogenous' anglo-canamerican society, .
It's not that it's homogenous, it's just that it's on a common wavelength much of the time. That wavelength can have multicultural influences within it. Indeed, it does - many of them.

Old 10-01-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I'm being serious though lol.. I did have Chicken Souvlaki today and watched the Act of Killing.. MASSIVE portion too so grabbed it for lunch and brought the rest home for dinner - two meals in one.. Tomorrow for lunch we go for Hakka - we are going to try the Bami Goreng this time mmmmmmm

Lol I think the truth is even in our 'homogenous' anglo-canamerican society, the impact of multiculturalism, globalization and the internet is just fusing cultural aspects of the entire world together like never before.. I can proudly admit I have not wathed Honey Boo or the Kardasians lol.. I have ZERO idea why any of these shows gained traction when there are far more compelling things to watch.
You should also consider the hypothesis (extremely likely) that you are atypical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada