U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 08:15 PM

449 posts, read 280,003 times

Advertisements

https://news.vice.com/article/live-b...lection-debate

How do you feel about tonight's debate? Do you think there was a clear winner or loser? I wasn't able to watch the debate, but judging from what I saw in the article above, it seemed pretty chaotic to me.

Also, this may just be me and my bias and/or ignorance, but the more I hear what Harper has to say, the more he scares me. In particular, I found his views on foreign policy to be quite disturbing. Would anyone else like to comment on that?

I happen to like Trudeau, but again, I'm a little biased because apparently he wants to make immigration a bit easier.

Please don't start any flame wars; I just thought it would be nice to discuss this stuff with all of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:40 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Nothing in the debate really changed things for me.. I think the platform of each party is clear and what they stand for. I made up my mind last week and it is highly unlikely anything policy related will change that or will sway me at this point. For me it was between the LPC and NDP as I have ruled out the CPC for years now.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:17 PM

Interesting. It seems like almost everyone who supports the LPC would also support the NDP (and vice versa), while the same cannot be said about the CPC. When I first heard that Canada had more than two political parties, I thought it was a pretty good idea. Now I see how flawed the system is and why the US has only two parties (although I don't think parties should even exist in the first place).

And it looks like polls won't change dramatically (not just for you, but for the population as a whole). If I am correct, though, the NDP is losing support while the CPC is gaining support. I find this to be pretty bizarre; I assumed that that if the NDP lost votes, the votes would go to the liberals, not the conservatives. I'm really confused.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:23 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,498,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon18 View Post
Interesting. It seems like almost everyone who supports the LPC would also support the NDP (and vice versa), while the same cannot be said about the CPC. When I first heard that Canada had more than two political parties, I thought it was a pretty good idea. Now I see how flawed the system is and why the US has only two parties (although I don't think parties should even exist in the first place).

And it looks like polls won't change dramatically (not just for you, but for the population as a whole). If I am correct, though, the NDP is losing support while the CPC is gaining support. I find this to be pretty bizarre; I assumed that that if the NDP lost votes, the votes would go to the liberals, not the conservatives. I'm really confused.
There's lots of areas of the country, especially the less urban ones and Quebec outside Montreal, where people either vote NDP or Conservatives (or Bloc), where the Liberals aren't in the running. The Liberals tend to be more popular with urban voters. The NDP are a historically working class party, and there is some overlap with the Conservatives there. Sometimes Liberal voters switch to Conservatives while NDP bleed to Liberals.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 PM

873 posts, read 816,055 times
Clear winner was Trudeau in this debate. He improved greatly compared to past debates. I think Mulcair lost the debate tonight.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,151,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Clear winner was Trudeau in this debate. He improved greatly compared to past debates. I think Mulcair lost the debate tonight.
Agreed.. Mulcair seems to be losing steam.. Harper held his ground well tonight and I think the most passionate discourse was between Harper and Trudeau.. I'm not sure where Mulcair was in that debate but now is not the time to start checking out lol.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:42 AM

2,178 posts, read 1,755,788 times
Quote:

Well, the US has more than two parties as well; you just never hear about any of the others, as they are not serious contenders.

A multitude of parties makes sense in a Westminster parliament, since the whole thing rests on the confidence of Parliament. If one party commands more seats in the Commons than any other, we have a majority government which can do pretty much as it pleases. But if it commands the most seats, but can be outvoted by all other parties combined, we have a minority government--and the parties must then work together, or the Commons will indicate that it has no confidence in the government. Then, the government falls and we have another election.

It's a little more complicated than I've made it out to be here, and options other than an election are available if the government falls. Nonetheless, I hope you can see that having more than two parties in the Westminster system is part of the system's "checks and balances."

Old 10-01-2015, 02:28 PM

564 posts, read 878,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
Yes, the time he spent over the weekend with his family* (wink, wink) seemed to have refreshed him.

* In case that was lost on anyone, I suspect the preceding weekend suspension of campaign activities had less to do with quality family time and more to do with intense preparation for this more in-depth debate.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:07 PM

Actually, it looks like the Conservatives rose to 32.5% while the Liberals are only at 30.4%, according to CBC's poll tracker. And the Conservatives have a slight upward trend, so I'm fairly sure Harper's going to get reelected. The US has a limit to how long someone can be president and it has worked pretty well, why doesn't Canada do the same with prime ministers? At this rate, Harper's going to stay until the day he dies, despite the fact that ~2/3 of Canadians don't support him. I understand ChevySpoon's comment about minority governments, but I still think it would be dangerous to give one person so much power for such a long time.

Old 10-01-2015, 04:21 PM

12,697 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Quote:
Actually, it looks like the Conservatives rose to 32.5% while the Liberals are only at 30.4%, according to CBC's poll tracker. And the Conservatives have a slight upward trend, so I'm fairly sure Harper's going to get reelected. The US has a limit to how long someone can be president and it has worked pretty well, why doesn't Canada do the same with prime ministers? At this rate, Harper's going to stay until the day he dies, despite the fact that ~2/3 of Canadians don't support him. I understand ChevySpoon's comment about minority governments, but I still think it would be dangerous to give one person so much power for such a long time.
There is no guarantee that even if he does win ( I'm still vary wary of the polls ) minority or not, that he will stay PM. He can only be PM as long as he is leader of his party. There have already been rumblings and defectors in the party, so.....it's is in the realm of possibility he may be tossed out as leader eventually. How much of a chance????

Who knows.

As for power, it wasn't such a concern before Harper. He is the one that has concentrated so much power for the PMO.
Definitely people are looking at reforms in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or