U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:49 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
I know that the US the biggest superpower and other countries want to know their news but I mean the identity of English Canadians. Why is that identity made like a comparison to the US. If I ask «what is a Canadian» most English Canadians say something like we say zed instead of zee, we are more peaceful than our neighbours, we are more polite, we have free healthcare. You see? Britain has free healthcare and they say zed and are peaceful enough I guess, but the description is made as a contrasting to the United States even when nobody says about the USA.

I identify as Québecois but I am trying to learn more about the other main culture we share Canada with right now and I think this is the first question that us outside of English Canada wonder about.

Rich I actually lived in Germany for a small period and I understand what you are saying. But it is that the Germans do not form their nationalism and identity in contrasting to American culture. If you ask a German what is a German she will talk about their cuisine, the language, their history and stuff along those lines. Do you see? When you ask the people in Ontario and BC what is a Canadian they will start talking about United States. I'm like..why?
When English Canadians travel, we get mistaken for Americans. The conversation is usually with a European who know all about the US and nothing about Canada. They've already set the agenda for the conversation. They are the ones, that say " oh same thing " etc. I have even had to explain we have our own laws.
I have had countless discussions with Europeans explaining the differences between Canadians and the US to dispel their assumptions ( and some here do as well ) that their is no differences between us.

If someone was asking me without that reference I would talk about Canadian history, the land etc Funny you use language in your bit about Germany, but make fun of English Canadians talking about saying Zed.
Which in truth not all English speakers in Canada say zed.

I've also been around Quebecois while travelling in the US. Guess what? They had to describe themselves as NOT French. Florida may be exempt from this, but go to Idaho, Arizona, etc.

Quebec, outside of Canada and to a degree France ( which I've been 13 times ) the world is pretty ignorant about Quebec. Heck the US Ambassador to Canada a few years back admitted he thought Cirque du Soleil was French! Why...language.
So should Quebeckers just shut up when someone thinks they're French and not Canadians? Right, and neither should the ROC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:00 PM

18,281 posts, read 10,380,277 times
And yet another of these "I'm a Quebecois which makes me so special, now how can I show derision to the ROC ...oh wait ....."

Why are Quebecois so entranced with everything Anglo to the point of feeling compelled to deride it so frequently? It sure isn't Anglos starting all these stupid threads over Quebec and it's "special culture".

Who is it again that has the identity inferiority complex?

Old 09-29-2015, 10:36 PM

261 posts, read 203,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonjour185 View Post
If I ask «what is a Canadian» most English Canadians say something like we say zed instead of zee, we are more peaceful than our neighbours, we are more polite, we have free healthcare.
What I've experienced, and which we've discussed here many times before, is that many English Canadians think of their society's lack of expectations of having a common culture as its essential characteristic. This, of course, means that there is no answer to the question "what is a Canadian?" because it can be anything. You can be a fresh off the boat Afghani who doesn't speak any English or French and still be Canadian, somehow.

And English Canadians view this as a good thing about Canada, which is why they consider their neighbours Quebec and the US to be (at best) ethnocentric since there there is an expectation of having a common culture. Even though the common culture in the US and even Quebec is not really tied to ethnicity. I even have a friend (actually a francophone from Quebec, but culturally he thinks very much like an English Canadian) who described Canada as the ancestor of the Federation from Star Trek. All these cultures coexisting in their separate worlds but united towards a common goal (with intercultural communication being done in English, of course, but this goes without saying ).

What I find odd is why, if Canadian culture basically expects nothing of you in terms of adopting a common identity, and if Canadians think that's what makes Canada so great, why we have (for example, on this board) many Canadians who bemoan Quebecers' supposed lack of interest for Canada and its culture. I think this is a contradiction.

As for why English Canadians are obsessed with the US, it might be something they couldn't have avoided, and all nations have their quirks anyway. But the fact is that they truly are more integrated into (and interested in) the US than every other country. Canada is an outlier in this regard, not the universal norm.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:26 AM

8,595 posts, read 11,082,415 times
I feel like starting a new thread;

Why are Quebecois so obsessed with Anglo Canada and their obsession with the US and do they deserve Nation status when both have a funny accent?

It would really distill the Canada forum down to its essence.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:39 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,539,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Why are Quebecois so obsessed with Anglo Canada and their obsession with the US and do they deserve Nation status when both have a funny accent?

Old 09-30-2015, 07:55 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,360,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post

Hahaha! Great idea!

But seriously, I am not really sure that (present company on this forum notwithstanding), Québécois really pay a lot of attention to Anglo-Canada.

Isn't it an extremely common criticism and frustration that Québécois are very indifferent to the rest of the country (a perception that I tend to agree with)? So how can they be indifferent and obsessed at the same time?

It's kind of like the alleged American obsession with Canada, which only seems to exist on City-Data. Out there in the real world the vast majority of Americans don't seem to think about Canada at all. Even ones not far from the border.

It's pretty safe to say that Anglo-Canada, for whatever reason, has its eye on its two neighbours (for better or for worse) a lot more than vice versa.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Hahaha! Great idea!

It's pretty safe to say that Anglo-Canada, for whatever reason, has its eye on its two neighbours (for better or for worse) a lot more than vice versa.
That explains why a movement to separate Canada from Quebec, eventually culminating (after at least 5 decades of constant and mind numbing discussion) in the creation of the FLC, bombing of mailboxes, kidnapping and murder of French speaking people, and deployment of the Army throughout Canada to quell the terrorism, creation of a particular political party dedicated to separation, neverendum referendums, all due to this constant and pervasive discussion and bellyaching we were all engaged in over our victimhood and mistreatment by Quebec. Whew!

Yep, that's gotta be it alrighty. The ROC is just angry at being totally ignored by Quebec.

Now that we've identified this problem that has led to a hundred years of acrimony, we can now start indoctrinating Canadians to "think less about Quebec" ....problem solved.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That explains why a movement to separate Canada from Quebec, eventually culminating (after at least 5 decades of constant and mind numbing discussion) in the creation of the FLC, bombing of mailboxes, kidnapping and murder of French speaking people, and deployment of the Army throughout Canada to quell the terrorism, creation of a particular political party dedicated to separation, neverendum referendums, all due to this constant and pervasive discussion and bellyaching we were all engaged in over our victimhood and mistreatment by Quebec. Whew!

Yep, that's gotta be it alrighty. The ROC is just angry at being totally ignored by Quebec.

Now that we've identified this problem that has led to a hundred years of acrimony, we can now start indoctrinating Canadians to "think less about Quebec" ....problem solved.
I think you kinda missed the point.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think you kinda missed the point.
Well A/J, if the proposed point is the ROC spends more time thinking about Quebec than the other way 'round. I'd suggest to you and anyone else, that 100 years of still evolving history is then in error.

Old 09-30-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well A/J, if the proposed point is the ROC spends more time thinking about Quebec than the other way 'round. I'd suggest to you and anyone else, that 100 years of still evolving history is then in error.
You don't seem to understand what Québécois nationalism/separatism is all about.

"The rest of Canada is a write-off. It doesn't matter what happens there. They can do whatever they want. We don't care. They can be as they please. Just don't impose it on us here in Quebec."

The only aspect of "Canada" they care about is how its existence (and Quebec's presence as a province of it) affects matters that happen in Quebec.

The issues with anglos in Quebec for example would be seen as trying to impose the "way of being" that holds sway outside Quebec, inside Quebec itself.

They don't really care if that "way of being" predominates in Toronto, Calgary, Halifax, etc. Or whatever form it might take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada