U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 06:20 AM

21,949 posts, read 27,371,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Well gee, now I'm living in a country founded by two defeated nations with an inferiority complex, who were both rejected by their mother countries. It's all starting to make sense.
PB is extremely (even a bit unfairly) harsh but it wouldn't be the first time Canada has been characterized as a country founded by two groups of ''losers".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 06:25 AM

359 posts, read 264,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonsereed View Post
I like PB, no holds barred with him, he is pure entertainment

So he couldn't cut it in anglo Canada but that shouldn't be held against him, he didn't run back home empty handed he at least got to learn to speak white....and theres no retarded sounding accents on message boards
Thanks Jon, I like you too. But Quebec isn't "home". I am from anglo Canada and you will be happy to note that I did quite well there financially. I am a small business owner and I wouldn't be here without the help of "anglo" Canada.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Feel better now you've given Canadian Anglos a good bashing?
Please, jambo 101. This isn't bashing anymore than your usual critique of Quebec's flaws. I've given the historical context of the anglo Canadian inferiority complex and some modern contributions as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Indeed. PBeauchamp that last toxic post of yours was deeply enlightening about your own self.

Thanks Zoisite. As a strong supporter of Canadian unity it's my credence that honest discussion is the best way forward.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:44 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,467,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Over here, they're more obsessed with the British. They want to be British. Remember before WWII they called themselves "British North Americans", not "Canadians" (only French-speakers call themselves that).

Maybe out West, Americans, but there is not much love here... they don't have much love for Americans, though they've warmed up a bit since they elected Obama down there.

But I remember when I was living in Texas, people who found out I was a French Canadian (I'm not from Quebec and don't have a French accent, I think that confuses people) would tell me what English people said about French Canadians to them and I'd respond with what they said about Americans to me... which is pretty bad, and sick stuff... like they "deserved 9/11" and stuff. Seriously.
Yes American Conservative Politics has much condemnation in Canada and true the split in the far right and left politically in the US, is getting worst. In the end Patriotism still keeps the nation unified and political power still goes back and forth. The common link between Canadians and Americans is NOT in Politics or Government. It is in a far more common culture... the media of the US has been regularly RECIEVED for the last century. That the WORLD NOTICES THE SIMILARITIES THAT STARTS WHEN A CANADIAN SPEAKS ....

But I think Canadians want SOOOOO MUCH..... to be linked with the British and not Americans in the world. But IT AIN'T HAPPENING... If English speaking Canadians had more a British English accent... It might be easier. BUT THEY SPEAK AND THE LINK JUST WENT TO AS A AMERICAN.....

Aussies do sound much more like a Brit. So they far more easily can be linked with the Brits.

Texans like to have a egocentric Pride in State and its uniqueness. But so many Northern Americans have migrated there. It has weakened. But on the other hand..... Quebecers are remaining more culturally unique and their is no migration of English Canadians to Québec.

The split is sometimes to the degree.... Quebecers might have preferred to have been a American State... But certainly not English Canadian provinces do.......

Just opinion and some perspectives, not aimed to demean, mock or lessen anyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Shoot me please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
We're Canadians, we don't walk around with guns!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Careful. An American might take you up on that.
So sorry.... but that ain't no gun in my shorts... I did enjoy reading the thread though... thanks for the amusement guys. But guess this is one stereotype Canadians can share and Connect with the rest of the world with.....

Old 10-03-2015, 07:47 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,149,109 times
Quote:
PB is extremely (even a bit unfairly) harsh but it wouldn't be the first time Canada has been characterized as a country founded by two groups of ''losers".
Its a good thing for most of us that we recognize it is 2015 and we've hopefully grown up.. For some though, they have a bit of a difficult time doing that.

Old 10-03-2015, 03:46 PM

34,399 posts, read 41,509,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post

Please, jambo 101. This isn't bashing anymore than your usual critique of Quebec's flaws. I've given the historical context of the anglo Canadian inferiority complex and some modern contributions as well.

My only hassle with Quebec is with the government and its bill101 and language police doing their best with draconian language laws to legislate my Anglo culture out of existence here in Quebec .
I find it odd and at the same time disappointing that i seem to be the only one who has a problem with this course of action by the Quebec government..

Old 10-03-2015, 04:05 PM

800 posts, read 508,578 times
In high school the principal had a talking with me because I thought football was a better sport than hockey. They gave me a lecture about being canadian blah blah. Said hockey is much better for a Canadian boy and you should focus on that not football. And I was better at football. Anyway. My ppint is I hate how sometimes the older generation undermine things simply because it's American. Now I'm older I have a lot more people on my side. But as a teen. Damn it sucked to have a different opinion than a typical Canadian. It's like they try to sabotage you simply because you disagree with a 'canadian' perspective. Which does not make sense since I am a Canadian thus making any of MY views Canadian!

Old 10-03-2015, 05:39 PM

579 posts, read 468,962 times
True, there does seem to be an obsession over the US but I am sure said obsession only covers a few aspects, social safety net and guns being two of the most common.

Old 10-03-2015, 05:43 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,542,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
True, there does seem to be an obsession over the US but I am sure said obsession only covers a few aspects, social safety net and guns being two of the most common.
It's more like shock and wonder when it comes to those two subjects.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:21 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,467,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yvanung View Post
Quote:
We're Canadians, we don't walk around with guns!
Honestly most Americans do not own a gun.... I don't hunt and have no need for one.

This obsession that Americans walk around with guns is LAUGHABLE... HONESTLY. Our Replublic was set up with plenty of rural residents who hunted and just after the Revolutionary war from British Colonialism. Then a militia of regular folk to fight, were needed as part of protecting the Reblublic.

So new Republic saw fit to give RIGHT TO BEAR ARMS ARMS... for self defense to hunting and if a militia to fight was called upon to fight.....and had some weapons to fight and knowledge to use them.... Of course they did not mean anyone could or should own a canon. The big weapon of war then. Today we have weapons of mass destruction and heavy artillery. That is why the US has some restrictions... some say there should be none. Some more mass destruction kinds banned.

To me it makes no sense to have a bazooka easily gained..... but a rifle to hunt or target shooting and a gun for aspects of Self-Defense yes ... some merely collect them... It is a RIGHT given when the Republic was established. Sadly criminals have no problem gaining weapons illegally.

Last edited by steeps; 10-03-2015 at 08:32 PM..

Old 10-03-2015, 09:04 PM

1,658 posts, read 1,640,132 times
And look how well it's working out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada