U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:16 AM
 
Location: World
3,660 posts, read 3,520,208 times
Reputation: 2479

Advertisements

This question always comes in my mind. Cricket is a British Colonial Game and is very popular in all former British colonies such as India, Pakistan, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand. Somehow it never became popular in Canada. What can be the reasons behind this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Thornhill, Ontario
368 posts, read 300,826 times
Reputation: 235
I really do not know the answer to this question. The game is popular among expats of countries were cricket is popular I know that. For whatever reason, the United States and Canada seemed to take games from the old country such as cricket and rugby and evolve it into baseball and football respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:42 AM
 
18,273 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Reputation: 13329
Cricket Club Home - Toronto Cricket Skating and Curling Club

Welcome to Waterloo Sunrice Cricket Club

http://www.inverhaugh.com/

London Cricket Club

British Columbia Mainland Cricket League News|Stats

Nova Scotia Cricket Association powered by GOALLINE.ca

PEI TO HOST ATLANTIC T20 | Cricket Canada
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Canada
5,879 posts, read 2,381,300 times
Reputation: 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by willg View Post
I really do not know the answer to this question. The game is popular among expats of countries were cricket is popular I know that. For whatever reason, the United States and Canada seemed to take games from the old country such as cricket and rugby and evolve it into baseball and football respectively.
Don't forget Ice Hockey and Basketball
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:47 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
For some reason the settlers from the British Isles never implanted most of their sports "as is" on a wide scale in Canada.

I mean, cricket was and still is present in Canada, as are rugby and soccer. But they never had more than a niche presence.

Of course, soccer has grown a lot in popularity since the 70s (participant sport) and the 90s (spectator sport) but that's mostly due to its global popularity, more recent largely non-British immigration that is soccer-mad, and its growth in popularity in the U.S.

In the 1950s and 1960s, there were already tons of British immigrants and descendants in Canada (the majority of the population outside Quebec in fact) and soccer wasn't really that popular then, ranking far behind ice hockey, gridiron football and baseball.

If you look at cricket, it's modestly growing in popularity in places like Toronto and Vancouver (perhaps more widely played than it has ever been), but that's mostly due to immigrants from places like the West Indies, India, Pakistan, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
This question always comes in my mind. Cricket is a British Colonial Game and is very popular in all former British colonies such as India, Pakistan, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand. Somehow it never became popular in Canada. What can be the reasons behind this?
Found this bit in the wikipedia article on the history of cricket, with good citations:

"Cricket never caught on in Canada, despite efforts by an imperial-minded elite to promote the game as a way of identifying with the British Empire. Canada, unlike Australia and the West Indies, witnessed a continual decline in the popularity of the game during 1860–1960. Linked to upper class British-Canadian elites, the game never became popular with the general public. In the summer season it had to compete with baseball. During the First World War, Canadian units stationed in Britain played baseball, not cricket."

My guess is that competition with baseball was the primary reason. It was a popular game that developed from English origins in the United States and Canada together, in a grassroots way. It was too popular to displace! In other countries there was no baseball present to compete with, so cricket could thrive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 08:59 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Reputation: 8602
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Found this bit in the wikipedia article on the history of cricket, with good citations:

"Cricket never caught on in Canada, despite efforts by an imperial-minded elite to promote the game as a way of identifying with the British Empire. Canada, unlike Australia and the West Indies, witnessed a continual decline in the popularity of the game during 1860–1960. Linked to upper class British-Canadian elites, the game never became popular with the general public. In the summer season it had to compete with baseball. During the First World War, Canadian units stationed in Britain played baseball, not cricket."

My guess is that competition with baseball was the primary reason. It was a popular game that developed from English origins in the United States and Canada together, in a grassroots way. It was too popular to displace! In other countries there was no baseball present to compete with, so cricket could thrive.
Yeah, many people even say the first game of baseball was played in southern Ontario.

In any event, it had developed into a popular game quite some time before the 1850s, so less than than a century after large-scale Loyalist and British immigration began in that region of Canada.

Its origins in the U.S. are generally believed to be in Upstate New York, which happens to be very close to Ontario.

If baseball had originated in the Deep South somewhere things might have been different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 09:12 AM
 
18,273 posts, read 10,371,545 times
Reputation: 13329
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Found this bit in the wikipedia article on the history of cricket, with good citations:

"Cricket never caught on in Canada, despite efforts by an imperial-minded elite to promote the game as a way of identifying with the British Empire. Canada, unlike Australia and the West Indies, witnessed a continual decline in the popularity of the game during 1860–1960. Linked to upper class British-Canadian elites, the game never became popular with the general public. In the summer season it had to compete with baseball. During the First World War, Canadian units stationed in Britain played baseball, not cricket."

My guess is that competition with baseball was the primary reason. It was a popular game that developed from English origins in the United States and Canada together, in a grassroots way. It was too popular to displace! In other countries there was no baseball present to compete with, so cricket could thrive.
Yours and A/J's assessment are hitting the target as a game requiring a large groomed lawn area with a starched white uniform to play just wasn't in the cards for a predominantly agrarian society to grasp onto.

Getting all dressed up in white pants and shirts with nice little white caps and shoes was probably fine for the landed gentry but factory/millworkers, and others in downtown Toronto would have seen it a waste of time to wear whites out into coal dust suffused air of the day.

If the few cricket matches I've attended in the Kitchener Waterloo area are representative of the sampling across Canada, it is, as has been suggested, the Caribbean and Far eastern natives keeping the game alive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times
Reputation: 7299
There are only two cricket clubs in Vancouver. I see them playing in Stanley Park on the field next to Brockton Oval.
Don't know anyone who actually plays though. I'm guessing it's expats and immigrants who come from commonwealth countries where it was more popular.

Now, if you want to wear white and do something less strenuous, lawn bowling seems popular. I counted 14 clubs in the Vancouver area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,489,713 times
Reputation: 4888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There are only two cricket clubs in Vancouver. I see them playing in Stanley Park on the field next to Brockton Oval.
Don't know anyone who actually plays though. I'm guessing it's expats and immigrants who come from commonwealth countries where it was more popular.

Now, if you want to wear white and do something less strenuous, lawn bowling seems popular. I counted 14 clubs in the Vancouver area.
I've seen a game played in Stanley Park. The team's demographics seemed decidedly South Asian, at a glance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top