U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-03-2015, 11:55 AM
 
Location: WINTERpeg
6,706 posts, read 5,797,293 times
Reputation: 2407

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I have seen beautiful women everywhere in this country, but I have to say some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life have been right here in Manitoba.
Manitoba has higher obesity rates than BC or Quebec.

Compared to those provinces, you see a noticeably higher amount of overweight people here.

Also people don't dress as nice since Winnipeg is more blue-collar city/working class compared to those mentioned in the OP.


Then... comparing Vancouver/Montreal to some European cities is a whole 'nother story.

I see MANY highly obese people on a regular basis here in MB, while when I lived in Germany I could go many DAYS without seeing a single one.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-03-2015, 12:40 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,055,064 times
Reputation: 4133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Manitoba has higher obesity rates than BC or Quebec.

Compared to those provinces, you see a noticeably higher amount of overweight people here.

Also people don't dress as nice since Winnipeg is more blue-collar city/working class compared to those mentioned in the OP.


Then... comparing Vancouver/Montreal to some European cities is a whole 'nother story.

I see MANY highly obese people on a regular basis here in MB, while when I lived in Germany I could go many DAYS without seeing a single one.
Income and economic class has something to do with it. Thin is a status symbol nowadays, and status-conscious young people avoid junk food. In the food courts at upscale shopping centres, young women get a salad, or I've seen three of them sitting at a table splitting a box of french fries. Different attitudes about looks and health.

Since average income levels differ from region to region, it becomes noticeable this way too. On the East Coast (of Canada) the average income is lower and the average waistline is larger too, although the average age of the population is quite a bit higher there too, and that makes a difference as well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 01:56 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,448,467 times
Reputation: 3262
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsNHL View Post
Manitoba has higher obesity rates than BC or Quebec.

Compared to those provinces, you see a noticeably higher amount of overweight people here.

Also people don't dress as nice since Winnipeg is more blue-collar city/working class compared to those mentioned in the OP.


Then... comparing Vancouver/Montreal to some European cities is a whole 'nother story.

I see MANY highly obese people on a regular basis here in MB, while when I lived in Germany I could go many DAYS without seeing a single one.
I compliment the women in your province and this is what you come back with?? LOL


Well, There is a lot of obese people here but its not like every woman here is obese. A lot of Women here look very very healthy, and they dress fine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Toronto, ON
2,093 posts, read 1,461,380 times
Reputation: 1426
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There's 3 reasons for most Canadians being fit: one is that there's no such thing as food stamps in Canada so most people buy and prepare healthier meals for themselves and their families and they eat in moderation. The second reason is that Canadians still tend to be quite physically active every day. The third reason is the climate.

.
Fourth would be that fast food is very expensive here, which would go in nicely with number one.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 04:52 PM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,276 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14315
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Fourth would be that fast food is very expensive here, which would go in nicely with number one.
Yes, fast food, junk food and pre-processed packaged meals are all more expensive than meals made from scratch from fresh ingredients. Junk food and processed foods are the lazy, free food way to go that are commonly purchased with food stamps instead of the shopper using the food stamps to buy fresh scratch items that are healthier and much less expensive.

For example - A Swanson's Hungry Man frozen dinner that feeds one person costs more than what it would cost to prepare 3 or 4 servings of the exact same meal made from scratch from fresh ingredients. And the scratch meal will be more wholesome and filling with no chemicals, food colourings or preservatives in it.

Or ..... you take a pre-made store bought single-serving salad with all the trimmings in it for one person - it will cost more than what it would cost to buy all the same fresh ingredients in the produce department to make a large scratch salad for a family of 4 or 5, or to provide a single person a salad every day for a week.

That's not to say people shouldn't treat themselves on occasion but over the long run if one has to squeeze pennies and economize with grocery shopping and prepare sensible fresh meals for themselves it pays off in savings and with better health and greater longevity.

.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2015, 11:45 PM
 
625 posts, read 1,188,975 times
Reputation: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There's 3 reasons for most Canadians being fit: one is that there's no such thing as food stamps in Canada so most people buy and prepare healthier meals for themselves and their families and they eat in moderation. The second reason is that Canadians still tend to be quite physically active every day. The third reason is the climate.

.
While I won't dispute the gist of this, the OP seems to be primarily interested in girls in nightclubs. My guess is few nightclub regulars are receiving food stamps, nor routinely preparing fresh meals from scratch.

While Canada doesn't have food stamps, we do have welfare programs. In the end, my guess is a poor person receiving a bit of cash, or food stamps, is doing the same thing with their benefits. Also, Canada is the world's largest per capita consumer of Kraft Dinner!

I haven't spent time in either Vancouver or Seattle, but to me Canada's cities seem to have more of a nightclub/dance club culture than many mid-sized American cities, where bars or live music seem to be more popular and people are overall less dressy - particualrly in Portland and Seattle. (Since I'm not into nightclubs, or the late night bars, but love live music, thats fine with me). Add to that, Seattle is often considered a stressful city.

While overall Canada is more fit (healthy eating, physical activity and fewer of the stressors that prevent people from achieving these habits), any two places are different. Colorado, where I lived, has an obesity rate comaprable to BC, where I live now; thus both would have a lower obesity rate than nine Canadian provinces.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 12:43 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,276 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14315
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post

While I won't dispute the gist of this, the OP seems to be primarily interested in girls in nightclubs. My guess is few nightclub regulars are receiving food stamps, nor routinely preparing fresh meals from scratch.

While Canada doesn't have food stamps, we do have welfare programs. In the end, my guess is a poor person receiving a bit of cash, or food stamps, is doing the same thing with their benefits. Also, Canada is the world's largest per capita consumer of Kraft Dinner!

.... <snip> .....
You could be right about that. I'm saying that based on what I know about all of my own young adult grandchildren in Vancouver, and their many friends that I've met - some are working, some going to university, some are married now. All the single ones are into the nightclub scenes on weekends, even a few of the married ones who haven't started families of their own yet. None are what you could call rolling in dough and they all have to be careful with their expenses but they share a lot of common interests and habits. They're all healthy, active and fit, well groomed, fashionable, pretty good looking in my estimation, and the majority of them are darned good cooks who enjoy home cooking and entertaining and are conscious and sophisticated about what they spend on the healthy foods they prepare for themselves and friends.

Of course it could very well be that it's just a case of my grand kids and their social circles all being birds of a feather flocking together, like attracts like, and so they could be socializing mostly with other young adults who share those same common factors that are important to them, good eating habits being one of those common factors. It doesn't mean that all nightclubbers across Canada are like that but I don't think things have changed much in Vancouver from the way it was 40 and 50 years ago because young adults were a lot like that about their eating habits and physical activity back then too. It goes with the territory I think.

.

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-04-2015 at 12:53 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 01:37 AM
 
Location: British Columbia ☀️ ♥ 🍁 ♥ ☀️
7,276 posts, read 6,600,948 times
Reputation: 14315
Quote:
Originally Posted by docwatson View Post

Also, Canada is the world's largest per capita consumer of Kraft Dinner!


Sorry for sort of drifting off topic a bit but that made me laugh. It's true that Canada is the biggest consumer of Kraft dinner .... also the world's largest per capita consumer of coffee. Both for good reasons.

Any Canadian cook worth their salt will know that KD's popularity in Canada is not just because it's cheap (which it is not) or easy to prepare comfort food (which it is) or that it's junk food (which it is not).

It's because of Canada's lengthy winter climate and KD is well known as one of the best high carbohydrate high energy staple foods for very physically active people of all ages to consume, especially in winter when they burn off more calories to stay warm. Canadians don't get fat on KD and it gets prepared with as much versatility as potatoes and rice do.

Coffee is consumed the most in Canada for similar reasons.

.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post


Sorry for sort of drifting off topic a bit but that made me laugh. It's true that Canada is the biggest consumer of Kraft dinner .... also the world's largest per capita consumer of coffee. Both for good reasons.

Any Canadian cook worth their salt will know that KD's popularity in Canada is not just because it's cheap (which it is not) or easy to prepare comfort food (which it is) or that it's junk food (which it is not).

It's because of Canada's lengthy winter climate and KD is well known as one of the best high carbohydrate high energy staple foods for very physically active people of all ages to consume, especially in winter when they burn off more calories to stay warm. Canadians don't get fat on KD and it gets prepared with as much versatility as potatoes and rice do.

Coffee is consumed the most in Canada for similar reasons.

.
I don't find KD expensive.. I only buy it when its on sale - 12 for 6.99 which it often is either at No Frills or Shoppers - that works out to about 60 cents a box.. Sure you can buy a whole bag of elbow macaroni for .99 cents but by the time you buy the cheese its probably about the same cost if not more than that 60 cent box of KD. For KD its that powder cheese that makes it of value - if not for that than the macaroni alone would be a rip off.

I never follow the KD directions btw... Instead of milk I add 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter. After I strain the macaroni and put it in the pot while the its still hot, plop in the butter and mix quickly until its creamy and than add the cheese powder and blends in brilliantly - tastes better than with milk - more creamy cheesy - milk has no place in KD
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-04-2015, 10:37 AM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,153,795 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
Fourth would be that fast food is very expensive here, which would go in nicely with number one.
I'm not sure if its the cost of the fast food vs the portion sizes.. In the U.S the cheaper combo's are smaller portions and in some cases smaller than ours.. The cost of their larger portions are about the same as our portions (which is in between) so what they do Is they go for the Biggie sized combo's almost always because there is no in between - its either small or big..

I was in NYS and on the highway and went to Checkers.. Everyone in the line got the super duper sized combo for 9 bucks USD with like 3 patties and bacon, 2 slices of cheesse and a HUGE drink - its was like a jug. I got the 'regular' sized checkers combo for 6.99 and it was super duper small. Smaller than ours in Canada but it filled me sufficiently. If I had of gone for the larger one I would have felt like a beached whale and wouldn't have been able to drive.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top