U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 04:50 PM

678 posts, read 663,045 times

Advertisements

I went to both Montreal and Vancouver this summer and experienced the night life.

This is a compliment, and I want to know why, not that I am complaining, but seriously....I've seen so many gorgeous young women in the 1 night in Vancouver and 1 week in Montreal more so than I ever have in my current city (Seattle, Washington).

They weren't just good-looking, but 9 out of 10 had super clear skin, thin waists, not tattooed (not that I have a serious problem with tattoos), and most of all...they knew how to dress. (tight clothes, heels, hair is long)

Maybe this was mainly relevant to the nightlife, but the women were well-dressed, didn't have loads of make-up on, had really white teeth, skinny in the arms, legs, and also a lot of them were tall. I had to also TRY to find any fat girls... or guys!

Another thing, in the clubs in Vancouver for example I saw a healthy ratio of girls and guys, and a lot of girls were standing alone and put on a welcoming glow so that you can actually talk to them. I also saw a lot of average-looking or maybe even slightly ugly guys with attractive girls (doesn't normally happen in Seattle). ALSO, I saw many men of minority races with white girls... (Asian guy with white girl, Indian guy with white girl) It warmed my heart...

In Seattle at least, first of all, it's pretty much a sausage fest. The very few attractive women are cornered by 3 meaty fleshy dudes. There is probably 4 sausages to 1 taco everywhere you go in Capitol Hill (the so-called "spot to be" for nightlife). The rest of the women are either fat, have too many tattoos, have pimply armpits and faces, wear pajamas in public, or all of them combined! Let's not forget that a good number of the women don't actually want to be women! A lot of them are dressed like guys and buzz their hair and wear oversized clothes.

My main question really is about the fact that are significantly less fat people in Vancouver and Montreal than there is in Seattle, even though Seattle has a reputation for being pro-vegan and pro-green/organic/etc. And in general, less fat, pimply, and stressful people. What is it that you guys are doing right?

thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 05:51 PM

7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
There's 3 reasons for most Canadians being fit: one is that there's no such thing as food stamps in Canada so most people buy and prepare healthier meals for themselves and their families and they eat in moderation. The second reason is that Canadians still tend to be quite physically active every day. The third reason is the climate.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:52 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I went to both Montreal and Vancouver this summer and experienced the night life.

This is a compliment, and I want to know why, not that I am complaining, but seriously....I've seen so many gorgeous young women in the 1 night in Vancouver and 1 week in Montreal more so than I ever have in my current city (Seattle, Washington).

They weren't just good-looking, but 9 out of 10 had super clear skin, thin waists, not tattooed (not that I have a serious problem with tattoos), and most of all...they knew how to dress. (tight clothes, heels, hair is long)

Maybe this was mainly relevant to the nightlife, but the women were well-dressed, didn't have loads of make-up on, had really white teeth, skinny in the arms, legs, and also a lot of them were tall. I had to also TRY to find any fat girls... or guys!

Another thing, in the clubs in Vancouver for example I saw a healthy ratio of girls and guys, and a lot of girls were standing alone and put on a welcoming glow so that you can actually talk to them. I also saw a lot of average-looking or maybe even slightly ugly guys with attractive girls (doesn't normally happen in Seattle). ALSO, I saw many men of minority races with white girls... (Asian guy with white girl, Indian guy with white girl) It warmed my heart...

In Seattle at least, first of all, it's pretty much a sausage fest. The very few attractive women are cornered by 3 meaty fleshy dudes. There is probably 4 sausages to 1 taco everywhere you go in Capitol Hill (the so-called "spot to be" for nightlife). The rest of the women are either fat, have too many tattoos, have pimply armpits and faces, wear pajamas in public, or all of them combined! Let's not forget that a good number of the women don't actually want to be women! A lot of them are dressed like guys and buzz their hair and wear oversized clothes.

My main question really is about the fact that are significantly less fat people in Vancouver and Montreal than there is in Seattle, even though Seattle has a reputation for being pro-vegan and pro-green/organic/etc. And in general, less fat, pimply, and stressful people. What is it that you guys are doing right?

thanks.
Statistics would agree with you, Quebec and BC have the lowest obesity rates in Canada, and they are significantly lower than rates in Washington state (not stating specific numbers though because of differences in methodology in numbers found, specifically self-reported weight vs. adjusted, but the differences are still significant). Why? I'm sure it's a constellation of cultural factors. Certainly Seattle seem to be a very car oriented society compared to both Montreal and Vancouver, and food culture in both Vancouver and Montreal are different, but both are fairly healthy in their own ways. But while I've lived in both Vancouver and Montreal, I'm not familiar enough with Seattle's culture to really give it a guess. I will say that pro-vegan, green, and laid-back are not really the stereotypes Vancouverites have of Seattle. It's thought of as an industrial, sophisticated, big business town with big career opportunities but stressful. All is relative to where you are comparing to!

Last edited by BIMBAM; 10-02-2015 at 06:08 PM..

Old 10-02-2015, 05:53 PM

15,672 posts, read 8,386,724 times
On that subject anyone know Monroe lee? A glamour model from Halifax ns ??

Now she is FIT

Old 10-02-2015, 05:58 PM

678 posts, read 663,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
There's 3 reasons for most Canadians being fit: one is that there's no such thing as food stamps in Canada so most people buy and prepare healthier meals for themselves and their families and they eat in moderation. The second reason is that Canadians still tend to be quite physically active every day. The third reason is the climate.

Well, it's working. That's I gotta say.

Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
I have seen beautiful women everywhere in this country, but I have to say some of the most beautiful women I have ever seen in my life have been right here in Manitoba.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:18 PM

18,262 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:

thanks.
I'll first thank you for the compliment to Canada's finer sex and then compliment you back for the wonderfully unique turns of phrase in crafting it.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:55 AM

3,153 posts, read 2,070,170 times
Quote:

I think you hang around the wrong places in Seattle buddy......

However, I agree that Seattle women are on average more laid back, not as dressed up, more "natural" than gals in Van....and, more importantly, easier to approach but it has nothing to do with beauty.....

I just came back from Austin.....there are many drop dead gorgeous girls in Texas.....

Old 10-03-2015, 06:31 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,044,150 times
I've noticed that during the past 10 years or so, young women up here have gotten very sophisticated about their appearance. Clothing, hair styles, makeup, shoes, etc., they're very "into" it and put a lot more effort into it than they used to. I think it's the self-consciousness brought on by the Web... selfies, Instagram, Youtube beauty tutorials, etc.

As for staying thin, the trendier clothing stores up here just don't carry larger sizes. If you want to wear the trendier clothes, you have to stay thin. Maybe more fashion choices in the U.S. are actually discouraging women from staying thin? Also: thin is a status symbol.

I can't really explain why this trend isn't as noticeable in the U.S. cities that you mention. I'd think that it's a different story in other U.S. cities where the nightlife is uber-trendy and competitive. Miami? LA?

Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 AM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
I'm skinny because of genes and I work very hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or