U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 11:05 PM

873 posts, read 815,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
Sure go there for career opportunities... then tell me how you like dealing with 7 months of winter...
The winter months have nothing to do with the economy, it's cold everywhere in Canada. At least in Winnipeg it is a sunny, dry cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Just looking at unemployment rate is disingenuous. Its the type of work people who are employed do and not just a rate. Making a blanket statement that the 'wests' economy is better than the east is nonsense..

Cities like Toronto and Montreal have the largest economies in the country (metro GDP is 323 Billion and 180 Billion respectively) with a lot of good paying jobs in diverse industries like Finance, Health, Technology, Skilled trades etc.. Sure Unemployment rates may be higher but have you considered as well that this is because they are magnet cities for international immigration and national migration and that while some miss the employment boat MANY do not because they are such large economies that have the mass to attract?
People from the east constantly move to the west for career opportunities. If not to Winnipeg then definitely to Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, and Regina. Most of them come from cities like Toronto in fact. I hear this all the time. You get people from the west moving to the east, but it is usually not for high paying career opportunities. I always here stories of people from Montreal or Toronto moving to the west for jobs. Montreal by the way does not have a good economy, they have been having troubles for a long time. Just because statistically Montreal and Toronto have the "largest economies in the country" (this is because of their size) does not mean they have the best job opportunities for people. The competition for jobs is really high in Montreal and Toronto. Montreal is a beautiful city, but is in very bad shape economically even for French speakers... (Just a couple weeks ago Montreal was named unemployment capital in Canada).

Old 10-06-2015, 11:38 PM

741 posts, read 2,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
The winter months have nothing to do with the economy, it's cold everywhere in Canada. At least in Winnipeg it is a sunny, dry cold.
No actually they do... I hate to break it to you... as others who want to be comfortable want to enjoy themselves in comfort for more than 3 months of a calendar year.

Let's not change the subject....

so tell me.. it's a sunny dry cold... you tell me you sound like an expert... maybe even a local.... what else can you tell me about a city that sounds like a diamond in the rough since Alberta is going through and oil crisis and South Eastern Ontario is not having the classic booming manufacturing years of the Peterson years?? cause of course... we will of course ditch oil any second I am sure sucking on that easy drug...

What does a low employment rate and "it" city that Winnipeg has to offer that wants people to come down there en masse compared to the rest of Canada... vis a vis.. Say Abbotsford... since those brothers and organized crime got shot down in the last couple of years... heck the amount of auto theft in Winnipeg now make Abbotsford look down right appealing, like we took the title or something...

Guess what... there is low employment in the Bakken shield in North Dakota... perhaps less now that oil has crashed.. but guess what... not many people want to live there ... I'd hardly call Bismark an "IT" city.

So what is "Winnipeg" offering as an "it" city compared to the numerous economic, cultural, and business opportunities compared to other cities, towns in the rest of Canada?

It's a great place honestly... an it city... um no... otherwise people would be flocking there for the opportunities and that just isn't happening....

Old 10-07-2015, 05:38 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Quote:
People from the east constantly move to the west for career opportunities. If not to Winnipeg then definitely to Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon, and Regina. Most of them come from cities like Toronto in fact. I hear this all the time. You get people from the west moving to the east, but it is usually not for high paying career opportunities. I always here stories of people from Montreal or Toronto moving to the west for jobs. Montreal by the way does not have a good economy, they have been having troubles for a long time. Just because statistically Montreal and Toronto have the "largest economies in the country" (this is because of their size) does not mean they have the best job opportunities for people. The competition for jobs is really high in Montreal and Toronto. Montreal is a beautiful city, but is in very bad shape economically even for French speakers... (Just a couple weeks ago Montreal was named unemployment capital in Canada).
More people come to Toronto than leave in terms of migration patterns (not even touching immigration!).. The GTA is six times the population of metro Calgary lol - of course Calgary is going to get some Torontonians when its economy is doing well - That is the big question though - when it is doing well.. Naturally when the price of oil is high and money is flowing there was huge migration/immigration but how are things lately? I don't think Alberta or Saskatchewan will be able to sustain the high levels of migration/immigration in the upcoming years as they have in the last decade, so that big sucking sound you heard is going to start happening in reverse. It doesn't happen overnight but its already happening and its happening quite quickly.

I tend to look at an economy as more than just short period of time and not going to engage in chest thumping talk about an economy dominated by one strong industry that is highly vulnerable.. So yes, I prefer economies like Toronto and Montreal that have diverse and strong industry across the board.

Otherwise I stick to what I said about Toronto and Montreal.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-07-2015 at 05:52 PM..

Old 10-07-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
More people come to Toronto than leave in terms of migration patterns (not even touching immigration!).. The GTA is six times the population of metro Calgary lol - of course Calgary is going to get some Torontonians when its economy is doing well - That is the big question though - when it is doing well.. Naturally when the price of oil is high and money is flowing there was huge migration/immigration but how are things lately? I don't think Alberta or Saskatchewan will be able to sustain the high levels of migration/immigration in the upcoming years as they have in the last decade, so that big sucking sound you heard is going to start happening in reverse. It doesn't happen overnight but its already happening and its happening quite quickly.

I tend to look at an economy as more than just short period of time and not going to engage in chest thumping talk about an economy dominated by one strong industry that is highly vulnerable.. So yes, I prefer economies like Toronto and Montreal that have diverse and strong industry across the board.

Otherwise I stick to what I said about Toronto and Montreal.
Now it may be different ever since the oil crisis. But before that Saskatchewan and Alberta were the economic powerhouses of the country no doubt.

Old 10-07-2015, 07:47 PM

1,218 posts, read 2,116,888 times
Quote:
Now it may be different ever since the oil crisis. But before that Saskatchewan and Alberta were the economic powerhouses of the country no doubt.

They had the highest growth rates and a lot of attention but they were not the most economically powerful provinces in the country. Ontario was always 40%+ GDP of the country. Alberta at its peak was still less than half of that, plus it's mostly all in one thing - oil. I honestly don't believe the future of energy is rooted in oil. It's not impossible that the majority of cars on the road will be electric at some point.

Old 10-07-2015, 09:24 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,146,540 times
Quote:
You have an odd way of looking at what a powerhouse is GM10..

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
They had the highest growth rates and a lot of attention but they were not the most economically powerful provinces in the country. Ontario was always 40%+ GDP of the country. Alberta at its peak was still less than half of that, plus it's mostly all in one thing - oil. I honestly don't believe the future of energy is rooted in oil. It's not impossible that the majority of cars on the road will be electric at some point.
Agreed.

Old 10-08-2015, 07:25 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
that's the difference. Cities like Toronto are resilient enough to deal with all sorts of downturns because the economy doesn't depend on one or two industries, while Calgary isn't. It has to diversify so that one factor wouldn't have catastrophic effect on the entire region.

Additionally, people choose Toronto not just for the jobs, but for the urban city life and richness of culture as well. People move to the Prairies for nothing but the jobs. I do hope cities like Calgary can keep growing and become more attractive as a place to live, not just to work.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:14 AM

741 posts, read 2,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
that's the difference. Cities like Toronto are resilient enough to deal with all sorts of downturns because the economy doesn't depend on one or two industries, while Calgary isn't. It has to diversify so that one factor wouldn't have catastrophic effect on the entire region.

Additionally, people choose Toronto not just for the jobs, but for the urban city life and richness of culture as well. People move to the Prairies for nothing but the jobs. I do hope cities like Calgary can keep growing and become more attractive as a place to live, not just to work.
This is very true, although I think Calgary might be a little more diverse, but certainly it is dominated by oil and the business and politics around it.

As far as "it" cities go low unemployment doesn't always make you attractive, getting back to Winnipeg it might be having a low rating currently, as are the other places like nearby Saskatchewan but the reality is many people DON'T want to live there.

That's not a slam on the city, being an "it" city is not a place everyone wants to be.

Toronto I think has a certain quality of being recession proof to some degree, it is way more diverse and offers a lot more as someone mentioned. Kind of interesting to see it from a downside perspective ever since North American manufacturing and particularly the auto industry imploded causing SE Ontario to go into a downward spiral a bit.

The only other place as far as it-ness might be Vancouver, it's slightly international, a bit smaller though and has a different culture.

Like most "it" places, you will be dealing with cons. Traffic (cause of large populations and infrastructure that can't handle it), high cost of living including goods, real estate prices (good luck getting a place to live in Vancouver) and so on...

but the flipside is everything good that comes with it... including.. you make more money... or the prospects to do so much more easily (opportunities).

So that's my 2 cents.

Old 10-09-2015, 08:29 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smakawhat View Post
The only other place as far as it-ness might be Vancouver, it's slightly international, a bit smaller though and has a different culture.

Like most "it" places, you will be dealing with cons. Traffic (cause of large populations and infrastructure that can't handle it), high cost of living including goods, real estate prices (good luck getting a place to live in Vancouver) and so on...
Vancouver is 1/3 of Toronto, so it is not just "a bit smaller".

Also getting a place to live in Vancouver isn't that expensive. It is the desire to own a single family house that makes it look unaffordable. There are plenty of condos to rent or to purchase with reasonable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or