U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 01:04 PM

12,685 posts, read 8,750,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post
I probably did.

And you are probably right, with Vancouver I get the impression that the locals are either really proud or really not. Whereas in Seattle people are kinda just meh about the city. More like "it's cool, it's alright", and I also believe that attitude applies to most places in the USA as well, but that's just what I think.

Actually you know what, Seattleites can be a bunch of whiners too, so it's no different. People who complain about the traffic here, cost of living, etc. Basically people who have never been to LA.

However I will tell you though, Nat, probably 90% of the "unproud" Canadians that I've experienced just happened to be from BC and some from Alberta. Not Ontario or anywhere else in Canada.
It would be really interesting to see studies done on this. It could all be perception of course. You are hanging out with younger people, and if I were a 20 something these days, I'd be pretty disillusioned, because of how wages have not kept up, how so many good jobs have gone offshore etc.

However they seem to have money to go to clubs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 02:03 PM

170 posts, read 137,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
You are hanging out with younger people, and if I were a 20 something these days, I'd be pretty disillusioned, because of how wages have not kept up
In the case of Vancouver that's putting it lightly to say the least.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:11 PM

7,230 posts, read 6,579,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonwind View Post

..... Whereas most Canadians will try to push you away from their cities.....

..... I went to Vancouver the other week and one group of locals were just blabbing about how cool it was that I was from Washington and how much Vancouver sucked. They trash talk their own city. One guy then proceeded to chant "USA" in front of everybody, and then later saying he was "just playin" and said that he hates America too? ......
Just out of curiosity, were they all men in that group, or were they a mixed group of men and women?

Old 10-06-2015, 04:12 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,047,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh90 View Post
I am 33/m and will be transferred to either the Vancouver or Montreal area temporarily for work. Luckily it i my pick which place to choose. I am a US citizen but was born and raised in Cambodia so I speak French well enough I just need to brush up to become really adept again. I really want to move to Montreal instead of Vancouver but I have heard some bad stories about both places but especially Montreal. The way I have heard from Canadians is that Montreal is no place to be for me.

I work with two Canadians in my office and they are telling me that under no circumstances should I move to Montreal because of serious racism there. But Another guy from our sister office is an American who lived in Montreal for a few years with his wife and he is telling me that Quebec is no more racist than any other province. Yep, I have two Canadians telling me to stay far away from Montreal, and the American is telling me that Quebec is fine and isn't anymore racist than anywhere else. I really don't want to move somewhere that I will be discriminated against. I have every intention of blending in with French and getting to learn about Quebec's culture so it isn't like I am going to go there and stir up trouble. On the other hand I have also heard bad things about Vancouver or as I have heard Hong-couver but not nearly as bad as Quebec. So what's the straight story? These guys are really making Quebec sound like the boondocks so I am not sure what to think. I need to know by the end of the week which place to choose so all advice is appreciated.
I have an anglophone Chinese-Canadian friend who's lived in Montreal for 20 years, off and on, and he's never complained about racism there. He's originally from Toronto.

As for Vancouver, I don't know--racism from who? From white people? From other Asians? Racism can work lots of ways. I definitely would never say there's less racism in the U.S., though.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:14 PM

678 posts, read 663,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Just out of curiosity, were they all men in that group, or were they a mixed group of men and women?

1 girl and like 3 guys. 1 guy was doing the whining. All were Asian if that helps.

Old 10-06-2015, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 4,585 times
Hey thanks everyone I informed my boss that I'll take Montreal. The American guy who lived in Montreal happened to be at my office today and talked more about Montreal to me. I just wanted to say that the Canadians who told me not to go to Montreal were very passionate about how bad French Canadians are but the American guy and you guys on City Data confirmed my suspicions that there is some anti-Quebec feeling from some Canadians. They were a little too passionate in their dislike of Quebec to appear unbiased. I knew it couldn't be THAT bad. Thanks y'all.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I have an anglophone Chinese-Canadian friend who's lived in Montreal for 20 years, off and on, and he's never complained about racism there. He's originally from Toronto.

As for Vancouver, I don't know--racism from who? From white people? From other Asians? Racism can work lots of ways. I definitely would never say there's less racism in the U.S., though.
Oh okay sorry. I just want to say that I don't identify as an Asian or anything like that but just as an American man who happens to be born in Asia. I don't think about "race" here so I don't want to go to a place where it's like...I'm the "Asian" guy and people make sure to treat me "special" so I am not offended. From what I hear Canada has a kind of bad reputation in this way. We have some of these people in California. You know...the ones who are really "open-minded" and won't let you forget that you belong to a so called underprivileged minority group and you need help from them. It's really annoying. When I go to Montreal I will speak French all the time and do my best to be a participating member of Quebec's society. Even though it's only a temporary assignment. I'll be sure to come by and let y'all know how things are goin' in Quebec. I'm getting really excited!

Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,047,262 times
Quote:
Oh okay sorry. I just want to say that I don't identify as an Asian or anything like that but just as an American man who happens to be born in Asia. I don't think about "race" here so I don't want to go to a place where it's like...I'm the "Asian" guy and people make sure to treat me "special" so I am not offended. From what I hear Canada has a kind of bad reputation in this way. We have some of these people in California. You know...the ones who are really "open-minded" and won't let you forget that you belong to a so called underprivileged minority group and you need help from them. It's really annoying. When I go to Montreal I will speak French all the time and do my best to be a participating member of Quebec's society. Even though it's only a temporary assignment. I'll be sure to come by and let y'all know how things are goin' in Quebec. I'm getting really excited!
There's a large "allophone" community in Montreal--immigrant communities where the first language is neither French nor English. There are many minority francophone groups, like Haitians, North Africans, West Africans, Lebanese, etc., as well as a large anglophone community. The island of Montreal is pretty diverse.

The only reason I brought up racism in Vancouver is because you never identified what exactly your ethnicity is. "Asian" doesn't say much. Some minority communities exhibit prejudices against one another. It isn't just a "white" people hang-up, if you know what I mean.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:57 PM

477 posts, read 426,525 times
Quote:
When I go to Montreal I will speak French all the time and do my best to be a participating member of Quebec's society. Even though it's only a temporary assignment. I'll be sure to come by and let y'all know how things are goin' in Quebec. I'm getting really excited!
With this kind of attitude, I am absolutely sure that you will enjoy the time you will spend in Montreal.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:14 PM

21,942 posts, read 27,343,960 times
Quote:
Hey thanks everyone I informed my boss that I'll take Montreal. The American guy who lived in Montreal happened to be at my office today and talked more about Montreal to me. I just wanted to say that the Canadians who told me not to go to Montreal were very passionate about how bad French Canadians are but the American guy and you guys on City Data confirmed my suspicions that there is some anti-Quebec feeling from some Canadians. They were a little too passionate in their dislike of Quebec to appear unbiased. I knew it couldn't be THAT bad. Thanks y'all.
Yes, it's only a minority but there is a rump of Anglo-Canadians who are prejudiced against French Canadians. (The reverse also exists of course.)

I am a French Canadian but I have very little accent in English (used to have none at all) and so I was often assumed to be an anglo (my first name is neutral like Patrick or Paul, not Jacques or Pierre). I often used to get an earful of what these guys really thought. It wasn't pretty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or