Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 09:54 PM

18 posts, read 23,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgh90 View Post
Hey thanks everyone I informed my boss that I'll take Montreal. The American guy who lived in Montreal happened to be at my office today and talked more about Montreal to me. I just wanted to say that the Canadians who told me not to go to Montreal were very passionate about how bad French Canadians are but the American guy and you guys on City Data confirmed my suspicions that there is some anti-Quebec feeling from some Canadians. They were a little too passionate in their dislike of Quebec to appear unbiased. I knew it couldn't be THAT bad. Thanks y'all.
I'm not a Quebec expert, but when I first read your post that was the alarm that went off in my head lol.

Maybe there are some racist people in Montreal (like everywhere on Earth..) but a lot of the people I've heard speak very poorly of Quebec seem.. uhm.. a bit "different" if you catch my drift. There are lots of people who just seem to hate the province for whatever reason.

Much of Montreal is very diverse, and it's not like you'll be the first person of Asian ethnicity you've ever seen before. Also, knowing French will make things way easier (language is important to lots of people there).

I'm very jealous of you, I'd love to live there someday!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 07:16 AM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waffles604 View Post
I'm not a Quebec expert, but when I first read your post that was the alarm that went off in my head lol.

Maybe there are some racist people in Montreal (like everywhere on Earth..) but a lot of the people I've heard speak very poorly of Quebec seem.. uhm.. a bit "different" if you catch my drift. There are lots of people who just seem to hate the province for whatever reason.
Yes, there is a certain fringe of the Canadian population - often otherwise intelligent rational people - that just lose their marbles when the discussion turns to Quebec and French Canadians.

Thankfully their numbers seem to be declining IMO compared to the past so this is a positive trend.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:47 AM

23 posts, read 29,235 times
I don't really think canadians lose their marbles when they talk about Quebec. Racism is real in Quebec.
I lived two years in Quebec city, where the population is at 99% quebecois, and I ran away from there because of racism. Now I'm in Montreal and the situation is better only because Montreal is a multi-ethnic city and you can live without talking to a quebecois.
I've never met a canadian who talked to me as grossly as a quebecois did it or who made racist jokes in front of me like they did.

Racism in quebec is not a political conflict between french and english speakers but a reality.

Last edited by CaptainCanada; 10-12-2015 at 09:55 AM..

Old 10-15-2015, 06:54 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,534,995 times
I just want to make sure that people understand the difference between racism and xenophobia. Quebecois isn't a race, and being marginalized for not being French Canadian/Anglophone is also not racism either.

Old 10-15-2015, 09:05 PM

26,876 posts, read 38,019,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
I just want to make sure that people understand the difference between racism and xenophobia. Quebecois isn't a race, and being marginalized for not being French Canadian/Anglophone is also not racism either.
Technically you are correct but the modern definition of racism has evolved to include hostility towards identifiable groups (generally that you are not a part of).

So an anglophone Canadian who is hostile or negative towards francophone Canadians simply because they are francophone (or vice versa) can be said to be racist. Even though both are white and technically from the same ''race'' (European origin).

Old 10-16-2015, 05:09 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Technically you are correct but the modern definition of racism has evolved to include hostility towards identifiable groups (generally that you are not a part of).

So an anglophone Canadian who is hostile or negative towards francophone Canadians simply because they are francophone (or vice versa) can be said to be racist. Even though both are white and technically from the same ''race'' (European origin).
I have to disagree with you on this one Acajack. Racism has to do with race. All definitions of the word say so.

What you possibly mean is bigotry. It can be as nasty as racism, and racists are bigots, but not all bigots are racist.

It's like calling homophobes racist, instead of bigots. Doesn't make sense.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:46 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,028,112 times
AJ, I agree with Nat, what you're describing is bigotry, not racism. There's nothing modern about bigoted hostility towards identifiable groups, whether or not specific races are involved, it's something that's been happening around the world for thousands of years. Any people today who refer to bigotry as racism simply don't understand the distinctions. Racism is a common word that gets thrown around by a lot of uneducated malcontents these days as a reason for every sundry social complaint imaginable.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada