U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 11:10 AM

167 posts, read 104,914 times

Advertisements

I have some US Dollars not much but i still wanna make the most of it.

CAD (Canadian Dollar) has been falling and was in the 0.75 USD = 1 CAD range but it has bounced up since yesterday and it's in the 0.77 range now.

I'm wondering if it's time to change the USD's I have or keep them till CAD lose value.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 11:58 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,262,981 times
Honestly it is anyone's guess. An economist doesn't have any better insights on this than a monkey.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:49 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesse View Post
I have some US Dollars not much but i still wanna make the most of it.

CAD (Canadian Dollar) has been falling and was in the 0.75 USD = 1 CAD range but it has bounced up since yesterday and it's in the 0.77 range now.

I'm wondering if it's time to change the USD's I have or keep them till CAD lose value.
The CAD will chase oil prices. Canada is an export economy, based almost entirely on O&G, Forestry, some light manufacturing and Hydro. Oil is up significantly this week, the CAD will follow along. I don't suspect that it will depreciate much further, unless you want to roll the dice for two weeks and see who wins the election. NDP get in, it will drop a lot.

Old 10-09-2015, 01:41 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,640,154 times
Also, if the Republicans win the presidency in the US, and Keystone finally gets the green light, that could effect the CAD positively. But that's a lot of "ifs." Who knows what oil prices will do and who will win the US and Canadian elections. I personally can't see the CAD losing more ground to the USD, but who knows. Historically once it gets this low, it generally tracks back up to be near even with the USD (and a few times has gone over the USD value). Not a bad idea to convert some USD to CAD right now, but I doubt I will...

Old 10-09-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Also, if the Republicans win the presidency in the US, and Keystone finally gets the green light, that could effect the CAD positively. But that's a lot of "ifs." Who knows what oil prices will do and who will win the US and Canadian elections. I personally can't see the CAD losing more ground to the USD, but who knows. Historically once it gets this low, it generally tracks back up to be near even with the USD (and a few times has gone over the USD value). Not a bad idea to convert some USD to CAD right now, but I doubt I will...
Being close to par is a new phenomenon. My entire childhood was spent at 80 cents or below. It wasn't until $100 oil that par came about.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
this is not correct at all if you look at the entire history. Parity seldom occurs. It is by no means a long term average.

Old 10-09-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Being close to par is a new phenomenon. My entire childhood was spent at 80 cents or below. It wasn't until $100 oil that par came about.
and oil has very little chance to get back to $100 again any time soon judging by demand and supply.

but still, who can tell.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
and oil has very little chance to get back to $100 again any time soon judging by demand and supply.

but still, who can tell.
As someone who is living in that industry, no one is predicting $100 oil in the forseeable future unless there is a serious shooting war somewhere. There would be a lot of happiness at $60.

Old 10-12-2015, 01:27 AM

2 posts, read 1,130 times
change it now, don't wait anymore, another round of economic recession is coming.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:19 AM

18,273 posts, read 10,374,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinx View Post
change it now, don't wait anymore, another round of economic recession is coming.
Uuuh; change it to what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or