Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 09:57 PM

23 posts, read 29,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
What???
I'm black and grew up in Montreal, and NEVER had any of the issues you mentioned.
The only thing remotely close to that was people assuming I was either from DR or Haiti, since most blacks in Quebec come from there.
To be honest, all I talked about happened in Quebec city, not in Montreal. My gf is haitian and grew up in Montreal and has the same opinion. She tells me there is no racism in Montreal. And I haven't experienced yet racism since I'm here.
But after two years of madness, I'm just scared of quebecois and I don't want to stay any longer. Even if in Montreal life is easier for minorities, I don't feel at ease.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 10:10 PM

15,106 posts, read 15,737,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
To be honest, all I talked about happened in Quebec city, not in Montreal. My gf is haitian and grew up in Montreal and has the same opinion. She tells me there is no racism in Montreal. And I haven't experienced yet racism since I'm here.
But after two years of madness, I'm just scared of quebecois and I don't want to stay any longer. Even if in Montreal life is easier for minorities, I don't feel at ease.
With all due respect this makes no sense... You are saying that your gf is Haitian and hasn't experienced racism in Montreal and you haven't yet either.. With that said, you are scared of 'quebecois' and don't want to stay any longer even though you've had no negative experiences in Montreal.. You don't feel at ease? It seems like you are being paranoid and using experiences elsewhere as an anchor holding you back from enjoying where you are now with no justification.. Why don't you give the place a fair opportunity before just packing up and leaving - especially since your GF is Haitian and Montreal has the most sizable Haitian community in Canada.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-12-2015 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 PM

23 posts, read 29,053 times
Being naive ? I was and almost failed my studies.
And I don't know what to do after my studies. I heard a lot of stories about unemployment rate of immigrants in Montreal. So I try to be optimistic but it's hard.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:46 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,042,146 times
As you say you are an immigrant from France and find the racism in Canada intolerable perhaps Canada isnt a suitable country for you and now your studies are almost complete perhaps a return to your homeland might be a consideration.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
With all due respect to the OP, it's a pretty common thing to use racism as an explanation when things don't work out for someone in a particular place, either academically, socially, employment-wise or business-wise.

Not every place is a good fit for every person.

I am sure Lebanon, for example, is full of people who say Canada is racist against Lebanese because their shawarma shop in Canadian City X was not successful. And yet in Canadian City X right now there are tons of booming shawarma shops run by Lebanese people...

Old 10-13-2015, 10:25 AM

2,887 posts, read 5,111,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCanada View Post
I'll echo fusion2's post and say you need to make up your mind about what the problem is, or more precisely where the problem is.

As one of the few Quebec City residents here, let me tell you I partially agree with the jist of your post -- people in QC are more likely to be conservative (in the traditional sense of the word, although I guess it also applies to politics vs. the rest of Quebec). Ignorance has dumb people saying dumb stuff, nothing new but that can be an unfornate characteristic of QC. Until I'm proven wrong I will believe this applies to every fairly homogenous place on this planet.

That said, I don't buy your "university teacher" anecdote whatsoever. Seriously, you stood in line and the teacher ignored you when it became your turn? No friggin' way.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:45 AM

26,776 posts, read 37,717,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barneyg View Post
I'll echo fusion2's post and say you need to make up your mind about what the problem is, or more precisely where the problem is.

As one of the few Quebec City residents here, let me tell you I partially agree with the jist of your post -- people in QC are more likely to be conservative (in the traditional sense of the word, although I guess it also applies to politics vs. the rest of Quebec). Ignorance has dumb people saying dumb stuff, nothing new but that can be an unfornate characteristic of QC. Until I'm proven wrong I will believe this applies to every fairly homogenous place on this planet.

That said, I don't buy your "university teacher" anecdote whatsoever. Seriously, you stood in line and the teacher ignored you when it became your turn? No friggin' way.
It is not hard to imagine that some less worldly non-sophisticated people (in Quebec or elsewhere) might find it odd that a black person says he is "French". It's dumb but it is what it is. But I seriously doubt that most people, even those asking this dumb question, would be nasty about it. The vast majority would likely just respond with a... "Oh, yeah... is that right?"

I mean, why would they really care or have strong feelings about it?

As for the rest, well it's hard to believe that Quebec City overall can be that unpleasant a place to live for a person who speaks fluent French (regardless of skin colour). But hey, everyone has their own experiences I guess.

Old 10-13-2015, 01:22 PM

16,826 posts, read 15,040,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It is not hard to imagine that some less worldly non-sophisticated people (in Quebec or elsewhere) might find it odd that a black person says he is "French". It's dumb but it is what it is. But I seriously doubt that most people, even those asking this dumb question, would be nasty about it. The vast majority would likely just respond with a... "Oh, yeah... is that right?"
And this happens everywhere, not just in QC/Canada.

Down here, I still play ice hockey. Now, first off, the fact that I live in Florida and play hockey shocks a lot of people. Add to that the fact that I'm black, and people get even more confused: "But you're... You mean, hockey hockey? Like, sticks, pads and all?" Yes... I do... "Like, roller hockey?" No. Ice hockey.

Ignorance is everywhere, and dumb questions will follow. Doesn't make them "racist."

Old 10-13-2015, 01:34 PM

7,241 posts, read 9,228,741 times
About racism in general, I agree with the last poster that not all 'dumb' questions are necessarily racist. Dumb questions sometimes just mean that people have not been exposed to a certain thing and can be an opportunity to educate. Ignorance doesn't mean stupid. We all have areas of ignorance and we shouldn't be made to be afraid to ask the 'dumb' questions. There is no other way to get smarter.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:09 PM

225 posts, read 201,163 times
^ it's not intent, it's impact. So dumb question can be racist if interpreted that way by the receiver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada