Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 05:40 PM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
^ it's not intent, it's impact. So dumb question can be racist if interpreted that way by the receiver.
So you can be racist without intending to be so? Isn't that like impugning motives (prêtage d'intentions)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 06:12 PM

225 posts, read 202,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So you can be racist without intending to be so? Isn't that like impugning motives (prêtage d'intentions)?
Yes. It doesn't make you a bad person or a racist, though.

That is the problem with discussions of racism is that many (well white people) view it as something you are and not something you do or say. Everybody messes up.

Watch this video:

https://youtu.be/MbdxeFcQtaU

That being said, it should be noted that probably a lot of Canadians would be surprised to meet a black Frenchman. Many people have misconceptions about Europe, they think it's homogeneous, and Europe is just "where white people come from". People who have not been to Europe or don't know much about it might be surprised.

I remember when I was a kid I went to a Canada vs Sweden world junior hockey game and there were black people on the Swedish team. I really did not know at the time there were black people in Sweden. I had the misconception of Swedes being all tall and blonde.

And yes, such a misconception about Sweden was racist.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:29 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,865,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
^ it's not intent, it's impact. So dumb question can be racist if interpreted that way by the receiver.
Well I have no idea what your intention was with this comment

"English Canada is racist they just say the **** behind your back. If you're black, French Canadian, hell, even a white Anglo Saxon American, don't trust them."

but it has impact on this Anglo Canadian receiver because its absolutely not true! This is the type of crap perspective that holds humanity back and further serves to create division.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:08 PM

23 posts, read 29,224 times
Thinking there is a link between a behavior and a color skin is what I name racism.

And thinking because you are black the only place you belong is Africa, it's racism as well.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:49 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Quote:
rac·ism
ˈrāˌsizəm/
noun
noun: racism
the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one's own race is superior.
Captain Canada you've been here in Canada long enough to develop your views on this perceived racism.
Are you now going to go through life here in Canada thinking every negative that comes your way is a result of racism?
You've brought up your own personal take on the issue so what do you plan to do about it?Seems to me you got 2 choices either get an attitude adjustment on the actual depth of the issue or move to a place where there is no racism.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:41 PM

183 posts, read 218,324 times
I am really sorry about these experiences. Racism has no place in my home.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:42 PM

692 posts, read 956,869 times
So the Québecois are racists for not seeing you as "French" because you're Black...even though French people themselves often don't regard you as "French" either because you're black lol.

Troll.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada