U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:28 AM

9,555 posts, read 9,431,995 times

Advertisements

I had not heard of this woman until I started researching the importance (or lack thereof) of religion to Canadian pols.

Religion and politics in Canada: Crosses, turbans and maple leaves | The Economist

Is it acceptable for a politician to be openly non-religious in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 12:01 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,545,845 times
It doesn't normally come up at all. Politicians here wouldn't say that they were religious or be militantly atheist. In my area, which is very conservative by Canadian standards, I have noticed that in provincial elections, candidates, if they are not the incumbent, will state their church affiliation on their political mailings, along with how many children they have and some other humanizing information. But that is as far as it goes.

I googled my candidates to see if any of them are listing their religious views on their websites and there are none mentioned. But the incumbent in my riding is facing his first election as the previous Conservative resigned. My riding is considered a safe Conservative riding although the Liberals have been making gains.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:07 PM

18,326 posts, read 10,398,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I had not heard of this woman until I started researching the importance (or lack thereof) of religion to Canadian pols.

Religion and politics in Canada: Crosses, turbans and maple leaves | The Economist

Just a personal opinion, but as a septuagenarian myself I could care less if a politician's personal beliefs require him to bay at the full moon. I vote for a platform and the perceived performance of the person attaining that platform.

How many televangelists do we need to witness having feet of clay to realize what a person professes and what they actually do are often polar opposites? Why would I expect a higher level of relevance from any politician.

I would opine a politician in Canada seeking to burnish his chances of getting elected by professing any religious beliefs in public would actually achieve the opposite because Canadians can tell a rutabaga from a pile of horse crap when they see/hear/smell it.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:45 PM

7,281 posts, read 6,604,283 times
I thought the comments about the article were better and much more interesting than the article. A lot of those people really laid it on the line.

Quote:

Yes, it would be acceptable as long as the politician wasn't demonstrating their non-religiosity by deliberately bashing religions or whatever gods it is that other people might believe in. If the politician did that it would be an undiplomatic and offensive thing to do and they wouldn't remain a politician for very long. Likewise if a politician who was religious was bashing people who were non-religious or didn't believe in a god, or was claiming that the politician's religion was better than somebody else's religion, that same politician would also be out of a political job PDQ. It's just not done.

To be honest I don't think I've ever heard of any politicians being openly non-religious or making an issue about it. At the very most to be "openly non-religious" would mean if somebody asked them what their religion was the politician would simply say "I don't follow any religion" and leave it at that. Period. A politician's religion or lack of religion, or their belief or lack of belief in a god should have nothing to do with their politics and it's nobody else's business.

Politics and religion don't mix.

ETA: I think it's important to mention that God and Religion are not the same thing.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:28 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
You can be, I think it came out that there were Atheist MPPs in Quebec during that whole charter of values controversy, but for the most part it's not really acceptable to be vocal about one's religious position when your job is to seek to represent all of the public, so being a very vocal about an atheist worldview would be frowned upon, as it would be if we had a politician using their position to be very evangelical about a religion. I'm not sure of most politician's beliefs, I know Harper is some kind of evangelical protestant, Justin Trudeau and Mulcair are nominally Catholic but I have no idea what they believe in or if they go to church. I don't think they do.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:29 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
You can be, I think it came out that there were Atheist MPPs in Quebec during that whole charter of values controversy, but for the most part it's not really acceptable to be vocal about one's religious position when your job is to seek to represent all of the public, so being a very vocal about an atheist worldview would be frowned upon, as it would be if we had a politician using their position to be very evangelical about a religion.
Pauline Marois herself is atheist and said so quite clearly though she doesn't trumpet it all the time.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:47 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,501,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Pauline Marois herself is atheist and said so quite clearly though she doesn't trumpet it all the time.
I'm not surprised that that would be the case, but it fits what I said, it's okay to let it be known, but not to drone on about it constantly from the halls of the national assembly, as politicians in some other countries (not just the US, there are countries that are worse for this) do. It shouldn't be something we're seeing on the news and reading in the papers all the time.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:54 AM

9,555 posts, read 9,431,995 times
It would be impossible for someone like Georges Vanier to assume a prominent role in Canada now. He would be denounced as a religious fanatic. I guess his death coincided with the death of the Canada and Quebec he once knew.

An extraordinary life

Old 10-14-2015, 10:56 AM

21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
It would be impossible for someone like Georges Vanier to assume a prominent role in Canada now. He would be denounced as a religious fanatic. I guess his death coincided with the death of the Canada and Quebec he once knew.

An extraordinary life
I don't see why that would necessarily be the case.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:16 PM

5,981 posts, read 2,300,791 times
Of all the provincial federal or municipal politicians I know of I only know that two of them are religious the rest I have no idea about which suits me just fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or