U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 11:51 PM

150 posts, read 145,982 times

Advertisements

It's certainly annoying on this site. This site is extremely American-centric, which I understand, but Canadian cities get tossed aside all the time on here in comparisons. If Vancouver and Toronto were literally just annexed into America -- like nothing changed at all accept those red and white Maple Leaf flags changed to the Stars and Stripes, you'd constantly hear how Toronto and Vancouver are the best cities on Earth by Americans on this forum, but since they are Canadian it's hard for Toronto or Vancouver to even beat a city like Seattle or Minneapolis in a head to head vote my members on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 12:30 AM

1,582 posts, read 1,136,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey joe-joe View Post
It's certainly annoying on this site. This site is extremely American-centric, which I understand, but Canadian cities get tossed aside all the time on here in comparisons. If Vancouver and Toronto were literally just annexed into America -- like nothing changed at all accept those red and white Maple Leaf flags changed to the Stars and Stripes, you'd constantly hear how Toronto and Vancouver are the best cities on Earth by Americans on this forum, but since they are Canadian it's hard for Toronto or Vancouver to even beat a city like Seattle or Minneapolis in a head to head vote my members on here.

Why do you care, Joey? It's not as if CD is important; it's a virtual discussion forum, for heaven's sake! You live in (and presumably love) Toronto, so why should it annoy you if others don't even know the place? If you like it; that's all that matters! Toronto is a great place, as cities go (I prefer Canada's wilder and more mountainous regions myself), and you can catch a Jays game any time you want to (in season).

Most places on Earth have their charms, and home is always the best place to be for most people.

Old 11-06-2015, 01:36 AM

7,213 posts, read 6,570,009 times
I really have to agree with everything Mahrie just said in her last 2 posts.

Are certain other Canadians really so insecure and lacking in self-confidence about themselves and about Canada that they have to get into a 'snit & snivel' because they feel they or the country is being overlooked and they're not getting enough credit or attention from some other people they don't even know?

Why do you want Americans to pay attention to Canada? Why is it important to you what Americans think or know about Canada? Do you think you are really important and that Canada deserves to be a centre of attention to America just because Americans are our neighbours? Are you looking for glory and accolades?

This whole whiney self-centered attitude coming from some Canadians about Americans not knowing a lot about Canada sounds really immature and cowardly to me. I think it is shameful.

All you're doing is demonstrating that you think America and American people are much more important and more worthy of attention than you are and that you're jealous and feeling like a lowly worm about it and want a pat on the back and have America rub off some of their own glory on to you by paying more attention to you and Canada.

That is what insecure little children do with their mothers and fathers. I have news for you. America is not Canada's parent or guardian and is not responsible for paying attention to Canada or for boosting the moral and self-confidence of any insecure Canadians. The majority of Canadians already have more than enough self-confidence and don't need help from anyone else and it's time for the whiners to buck up and grow up.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:37 AM

18,263 posts, read 10,362,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
I really have to agree with everything Mahrie just said in her last 2 posts.

Are certain other Canadians really so insecure and lacking in self-confidence about themselves and about Canada that they have to get into a 'snit & snivel' because they feel they or the country is being overlooked and they're not getting enough credit or attention from some other people they don't even know?

Why do you want Americans to pay attention to Canada? Why is it important to you what Americans think or know about Canada? Do you think you are really important and that Canada deserves to be a centre of attention to America just because Americans are our neighbours? Are you looking for glory and accolades?

This whole whiney self-centered attitude coming from some Canadians about Americans not knowing a lot about Canada sounds really immature and cowardly to me. I think it is shameful.

All you're doing is demonstrating that you think America and American people are much more important and more worthy of attention than you are and that you're jealous and feeling like a lowly worm about it and want a pat on the back and have America rub off some of their own glory on to you by paying more attention to you and Canada.

That is what insecure little children do with their mothers and fathers. I have news for you. America is not Canada's parent or guardian and is not responsible for paying attention to Canada or for boosting the moral and self-confidence of any insecure Canadians. The majority of Canadians already have more than enough self-confidence and don't need help from anyone else and it's time for the whiners to buck up and grow up.

Good one!

On an American public forum, here we have Canadians bemoaning the fact they cannot get laid in Toronto without putting forth token effort. That makes the city somehow lessor in their eyes when compared to a city like some chit-hole where people drop knickers while passing in the street .

Accents? Don't get me started...regional speaking patterns having evolved through a hundred years or more of past practice being used in an effort to derisively disparage. WTF is wrong with people?

Why would anyone think to compare cities using markers of such asinine value when there are so many things that have far more importance to the exercise of human development.

If one wants to complain about how a neighbour knows so little about them, simply look to any modern multi-story apartment building and ask the tenants about the effort each expends getting to know their neighbour.

If there is a reason to engage; you will engage, if there is none; you won't. It ain't rocket science, nor is it a mystery.

Cripes ahmighty! It's enough to make one think his country is populated by nothing but a generation of simpletons all totally entranced in the interest of SELF. Where in the blue blazes did all these simple minded cretins come from?

Surely they're not being domestically bred and nurtured......please tell me it isn't so.

Old 11-06-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Good one!

On an American public forum, here we have Canadians bemoaning the fact they cannot get laid in Toronto without putting forth token effort. That makes the city somehow lessor in their eyes when compared to a city like some chit-hole where people drop knickers while passing in the street .

Accents? Don't get me started...regional speaking patterns having evolved through a hundred years or more of past practice being used in an effort to derisively disparage. WTF is wrong with people?

Why would anyone think to compare cities using markers of such asinine value when there are so many things that have far more importance to the exercise of human development.

If one wants to complain about how a neighbour knows so little about them, simply look to any modern multi-story apartment building and ask the tenants about the effort each expends getting to know their neighbour.

If there is a reason to engage; you will engage, if there is none; you won't. It ain't rocket science, nor is it a mystery.

Cripes ahmighty! It's enough to make one think his country is populated by nothing but a generation of simpletons all totally entranced in the interest of SELF. Where in the blue blazes did all these simple minded cretins come from?

Surely they're not being domestically bred and nurtured......please tell me it isn't so.

Well, I certainly didn't say anything like this^^^^! This is just rude!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
Well, I certainly didn't say anything like this^^^^! This is just rude!
No one on here would have attributed my comments to you Mahrie, so your rush to distance yourself was not particularly necessary was it?

Since we've established it would not have reflected upon you and your sensibilities in any case; your reason for posting was either to educate others, which would have been extremely patronizing to all those on here who already know I'm rude, or it was merely to chastise me, which was, and will always be, a wasted effort.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
No one on here would have attributed my comments to you Mahrie, so your rush to distance yourself was not particularly necessary was it?

Since we've established it would not have reflected upon you and your sensibilities in any case; your reason for posting was either to educate others, which would have been extremely patronizing to all those on here who already know I'm rude, or it was merely to chastise me, which was, and will always be, a wasted effort.

So noted. Personally, I wouldn't have painted you as rude, but if you insist....

Old 11-06-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
So noted. Personally, I wouldn't have painted you as rude, but if you insist....
Mahrie please re-read your post right below that one of mine you responded to.

I'm pretty sure it has the word "rude" used as a descriptor.

In any case. I agree with your assessment in the context that the definition of rude can include things like being too abrupt and inconsiderate of others feelings.

My rebuttal to you was not intended as an argument against your classification, it was intended as a suggestion of it being unnecessary for two reasons.

No one on here would have expected anything akin to my post ever originating from you. That's a compliment to you.

Everyone already knows, on occasion I'm abrupt and inconsiderate of others feelings. That's a statement of fact.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:46 AM

6 posts, read 4,598 times
Americans will always be indifferent to us. Any interaction they have with us appears to be very condescending. They seem to enjoy mocking us and I don't know why? Even our health system they try to demean (which I believe is out of jealousy)

Old 11-06-2015, 10:02 AM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Quote:

Rude? 'My' BruSan?' Tell me it's not so! (He's a pussycat, really. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or