U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2015, 11:50 PM

4,700 posts, read 8,543,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Perhaps less due to Slurpees than the climate that keeps everyone older than 12 homebound nine months of the year?
If we're being even more honest it's probably related to the high aboriginal population of Winnipeg, which is disproportionately affected by diseases like diabetes. The rest of the prairies aren't that bad and the winters are similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2015, 09:55 AM

18,434 posts, read 10,494,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
Perhaps less due to Slurpees than the climate that keeps everyone older than 12 homebound nine months of the year?
Oh well then; if it's the climate then I guess other much warmer nations with far higher obesity rates are doing something else wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_Nauru

http://www.cnbc.com/2014/05/28/austr...ld-report.html

http://www.otago.ac.nz/news/news/otago072102.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/the-1...-world-2014-11

Old 11-20-2015, 07:17 PM

611 posts, read 1,133,052 times
Nauru is like the Pima Reservation. People lived with minimal local food resources, people never became overfed, and thus there was no behavioral loop to limit food consumption. Food suddenly became plentiful (In Nauru, by trading guano for food, in the case of the Pima, through food aid) and the people, hardwired to eat, put on the weight.

I don't know why Australia is developing an obesity problem. I do know that 50+ years ago they had a manufacturing base, and today they import everything, so perhaps they are eating more and getting less exercise from work.

Also, Nauru has very bad soil and the Pima Reservation is very dry. People whose ancestry hails from D climates (Winnipeg, as well as the lands the Winnipeggers' ancestors came from) tend heavy, but so do those that hail from B climates (like the Pima). Both climates create food shortages on a regular basis (Yes, Nauru is actually an Af climate - but the lack or workable soil means the island nation has the agricultural potential of a BW).

Getting back on topic: Yes, I am shocked how little us in the USA know about Canada, its people, places, and history. Fortunately for I, I come from a family with Canadian/Newfoundlander connections, and could always keep current on Canada through AM 1550 and Channel 9.

I swear Canadians know more about the USA than us yanks do.

Old 11-21-2015, 06:54 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,300,434 times
313 Tuxedo.

Its really not that surprising that Canadians have a greater knowledge of things American, than Americans have about Canada.

Example. How many cable TV systems in the USA carry any Canadian stations ? How many US newspapers or TV networks have a reporter that lives in Canada, and reports on news events here ?

How many US Universities have a school of "Canadian Studies " ?

Now, reverse the question......Yes Canadian TV and newspapers DO have dedicated reporters stationed in the USA, who report about events that happen there, on a daily basis. Canadian Universities DO have departments that offer degree courses in American Studies, and most Canadian high schools teach at least basic US history and how their government system works.

A lack of interest, or a lack of curiosity on the part of Americans ? You tell me ?

Jim B.

Old 11-21-2015, 07:26 AM

800 posts, read 514,772 times
It doesn't bother me at all. Usa is a far more powerful and Canada is really just another country. Beautiful or not. It's pretty boring as a headlining nation as well. People here are flat out more behaved

Old 11-21-2015, 09:44 AM

10,024 posts, read 10,630,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
Let's face it, Canadians know everything there is to know about the United States and the States basically knows nothing about Canada. Americans think little to absolutely nothing about Canada (some don't even know or care it exists) and others just know stereotypes and nothing else.

Does this ever bother Canadians?
Why would it bother us? If anything it just adds to Canadians conceit regarding our striking superiority over our Yankee cousins. Add to that the general feeling that Americans don't really know anything about anything including very much about the USA it's self, it's expected that they would know nothing about us.

Old 11-21-2015, 10:49 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,046,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
How many US Universities have a school of "Canadian Studies " ?
Not schools of Canadian studies as such, but the University of Vermont, the University of Missouri, Bridgewater State University, Morehead State University, Boise State University, Case Western Reserve University School of Law, the University of Maine, the State University of New York at Plattsburgh, the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies, and the University of California, Berkeley all offer Canada focussed options, concentrations, programmes, or centres. There may well be some others with which I'm unfamiliar.

Quote:
Canadian Universities DO have departments that offer degree courses in American Studies, and most Canadian high schools teach at least basic US history and how their government system works.
Without wishing in any way to dismiss whatever your personal experience might be, Jim B., I graduated from two Canadian universities, even studying political science as my major at one of them, and not only were America-centric subjects/courses exceedingly uncommon, American studies didn't exist as a concentration, a minor, a major, or a certificate/diploma/degree programme at either of them. And the Canadian high school from which I graduated only offered one dedicated Canadian history course. US history and civics weren't taught there at all.

Quote:
A lack of interest, or a lack of curiosity on the part of Americans ? You tell me ?
Although I struggle to distinguish between a lack of interest or a lack of curiosity, it's a lack of interest/relevance, I'd wager. After all, other than Californians or Texans who study their own home state and its history/civics, how many Americans take such courses/programmes of study with a similar focus on California or on Texas?

Last edited by maclock; 11-21-2015 at 11:25 AM..

Old 11-23-2015, 12:37 AM

12,691 posts, read 11,243,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
It doesn't bother me at all. Usa is a far more powerful and Canada is really just another country. Beautiful or not. It's pretty boring as a headlining nation as well. People here are flat out more behaved

Shocking that you post a P envy post about the U.S. is that all you ever do - don't you think that is sad? Flat our more 'behaved' lol as opposed to what flat out more nuts?

Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 AM

12,691 posts, read 11,243,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post

I don't remember seeing 7/11's in Quebec, just "couche-tard". Unfortunately I see 7/11's everywhere here in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is the 7/11 slurpee capital of the world and it is no coincidence it is also the obesity and diabetes capital of Canada.

7/11 slurpee capital? Maybe but the 7/11 capital - can't and won't believe.. As I said to Rockskippier - go to Bangkok or Mexico City... As a matter of fact, there are almost as many 7/11's in Mexico City as there are taco stands lol...

Old 11-23-2015, 05:39 AM

800 posts, read 514,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Shocking that you post a P envy post about the U.S. is that all you ever do - don't you think that is sad? Flat our more 'behaved' lol as opposed to what flat out more nuts?
But Canadians are. Look at you. Always arguing what is right and not what is necessary. Always needing footnotes for arguments. You and like a good law abiding student. A square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or