U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2015, 06:29 AM

34,365 posts, read 41,455,107 times

Advertisements

Theres a lot of countries in the world and i probably know little or nothing about most of them, i would think the residents of those countries give no thought to my lack of knowledge about their countries just like i dont really care what America or any other country for that matter knows or doesnt know about Canada.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karassmatic View Post
But Canadians are. Look at you. Always arguing what is right and not what is necessary. Always needing footnotes for arguments. You and like a good law abiding student. A square.
I think fusion will be feeling suitably chastened after that one.

Old 11-23-2015, 05:15 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,133,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think fusion will be feeling suitably chastened after that one.
Huh - was I just called a 'square' lol..

Old 11-23-2015, 06:59 PM

6,433 posts, read 9,953,387 times
This thread is hilarious. It's always a self-loathing liberal that creates dumb threads like this thinking the other countries will join in their hatred and bashing of America. They don't care and neither do we.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:55 AM

18,265 posts, read 10,368,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Huh - was I just called a 'square' lol..
With some gilded embellishment, I might add.

Old 11-24-2015, 10:36 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Ah but "la belle province" makes better hamburgers than all of them, tabernac! I used to live down the block from one and I admit I ate there more than I should have. The one near my place served breakfast, so I would go there before work sometimes.

I don't remember seeing 7/11's in Quebec, just "couche-tard". Unfortunately I see 7/11's everywhere here in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is the 7/11 slurpee capital of the world and it is no coincidence it is also the obesity and diabetes capital of Canada.

Really? I read that St. Catharines, Ontario had that dubious distinction.

St. Catharines leads the fat parade - The Globe and Mail

My family still lives there (or at least, the few that emigrated from Scotland to Canada), although none of them are obese, and all but two of my kids were born at St. Catharines General. (None of them are obese either.)

Old 11-24-2015, 11:15 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,133,432 times
I can honestly say even though i'm only a 90 minute drive from St. Catharines I've never actually been there. Driven through on the highway but since you're almost at N.F or Niagara on the lake - you always just continue on.. Should I feel bad about that lol?

Old 11-24-2015, 11:27 PM

1,582 posts, read 1,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I can honestly say even though i'm only a 90 minute drive from St. Catharines I've never actually been there. Driven through on the highway but since you're almost at N.F or Niagara on the lake - you always just continue on.. Should I feel bad about that lol?

I don't think so! I certainly don't feel bad about leaving. It was always just a pit stop for me in any case. I'm not an 'inland' person and I love the west coast.

Old 01-09-2016, 08:27 PM

15,882 posts, read 6,248,592 times
The other day I invited a cell call from an emailer. The emailer was a Montrealer who winters in Florida. He was surprised I knew anything at all about Canada.

I told him I really don't; that I know the Prime Ministers only as far as knowing that John Macdonald was first, and knowing them from Sir Wilfred Laurier on. Since I know all the American Presidents in sequential order, that shows a typical American lack of knowledge of Canada.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:53 AM

47 posts, read 57,857 times
Having been raised in Toronto from 2 years old, having my family move from Toronto to several parts of the US over several years when I was about 20, having spent lots of time in lots of the US and equally having met people from all over Canada over all of those years, there is one thing that became clear to me several years ago. I've been saying this to people for a long time: American ignorance about Canada is rivalled only by Canadian ignorance about the US. Neither one is better than the other.

Now, I have to limit that statement to Toronto and southern Ontario in Canada because sadly Ihaven't travelled as much in my own country. But in the Toronto area, people tend to know one or two family or friends in Western NY, Central NY, (Ithaca, Syracuse, Buffalo, New York) even Massachusetts. But outside of that part, everything else is cowboys and LA to people in Ontario. And on the other hand, I convinced a sales person in Jacksonville, Florida that I needed a winter jacket in Toronto in August because it's usually no higher than 0 celsius and she believed me. You tell me which is worse.

The fact is that no matter how small the world is made by the internet, it's general human ignorance and being self-absorbed that creates this problem. It has nothing to do with Canadian vs American, and I wish people would stop creating that us vs them mentality. What's sadder than any of this, however, is how little anglophone Canada knows about Quebec. And how if you ask them about it, how many of them will say "why the hell should I?" Get over it, they're in Canada too (they kinda founded the country before the Brits arrived) and the country couldn't survive without them today. You wanna try cutting Quebec out of Canada and see where the Canadian dollar goes? It's pathetic. Anyway. Find me 100 Americans who don't know anything about Canada and I'll find you 100 Canadians that know nothing about the US... and the national anthem doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or