U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 02:54 PM

12,706 posts, read 8,786,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrett View Post
Sydney is more often featured in movies and books than Canadian cities.

People retain knowledge that is important to them. As much as Canadians would like to think otherwise, Canada isn't particularly important to the average American, while America is somewhat more important to the average Canadian.
Not disagreeing about the reasons, just stating that in regards to ignorance about places around the world, the ignorance some Americans have about Canada, is greater than the usual ignorance.

You are actually agreeing with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 07:51 PM

1,189 posts, read 804,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Awwwwwwww - big virtual hugs to you...

After reading a bunch of depressing posts from some of the Debbie downers in the Canada forums its nice to read something that makes one smile

Back at ya! We could have done a lot worse as well - just PUHLEASE don't vote Trump

Well, sometimes the vicissitudes of life can lead to feeling hard done by, especially if Spring seems slow to get Sprung?

No worries about me and Mr Trump though, but (and it's a big but) will assure you and tout le monde that even if by some wilde gyrations and fat chants he does end up in "oval office", the system of checks and balances can always work to clean up the messes that are made. A million apologies if this is too off-topic!

Old 02-27-2016, 08:20 AM

5,765 posts, read 4,190,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
In which province do you live, if you don't mind my asking?
Ontario, why?

Old 02-27-2016, 08:34 AM

5,746 posts, read 3,217,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Ontario, why?
So, *without referring to Google* (no cheating!), tell me what you know about the province of Manitoba.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:22 AM

The Red? river runs through it, (has had terrible floods), Manitoba shares a border with Ontario and Saskatchewan, and the state below it I think? is Wisconsin and maybe North Dakota? Winnipeg is the capital city of Manitoba. Churchill is the polar bear capital, the Natives face severe problems (housing and racial) in Winnipeg and on reservations up north (like Ontario and a lot of the other provinces)

I feel like I'm in school lol. Not sure if I got those all right. (being honest, I didn't peek at Google)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I just checked and got Wisconsin and ND wrong. it is Minnesota.

Question for you without Google: What is the capital city of Michigan? How about Maine?
What do they call Lake Superior? ......... Sea

Last edited by gouligann; 02-27-2016 at 09:35 AM..

Old 02-27-2016, 09:23 AM

11,265 posts, read 13,185,407 times
I know you can watch your dog run away for 3 days in a lot of it. lol :P

Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
I know you can watch your dog run away for 3 days in a lot of it. lol :P
LOL! yes and you can drive all day up in the north woods without seeing another human being

Old 02-27-2016, 12:59 PM

18,339 posts, read 10,411,152 times
I was returning to Ontario with a new Triumph Bonneville in the back of my pick-up I'd just bought from a friend who had lost a leg prior to taking delivery and who could not negotiate a reasonable buy-back from a dealer with a full inventory of them. St Boniface Cathderal was in the process of burning. I had to detour to get a look at what was making all the dense smoke in the distance and was rewarded with a sad sight like in this web link below.

St. Boniface Cathedral Fire - Winnipeg MB - Famous Fires on Waymarking.com

A great pity they could not afford to rebuild it in exactness to it's pre-fire design.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:11 PM

11,265 posts, read 13,185,407 times
^^^ Wow! While I agree it's a pity it was never rebuilt, I do love the way the ruins have been preserved!

Old 02-27-2016, 01:21 PM

5,746 posts, read 3,217,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
The Red? river runs through it, (has had terrible floods), Manitoba shares a border with Ontario and Saskatchewan, and the state below it I think? is Wisconsin and maybe North Dakota? Winnipeg is the capital city of Manitoba. Churchill is the polar bear capital, the Natives face severe problems (housing and racial) in Winnipeg and on reservations up north (like Ontario and a lot of the other provinces)

I feel like I'm in school lol. Not sure if I got those all right. (being honest, I didn't peek at Google)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, I just checked and got Wisconsin and ND wrong. it is Minnesota.

Question for you without Google: What is the capital city of Michigan? How about Maine?
What do they call Lake Superior? ......... Sea
Well, you know more about Manitoba than I thought you would, and more than most Ontarians do (you were right; Manitoba does border on North Dakota and Minnesota). As a rule, people in Ontario, and southern Ontario in particular, know very little about the rest of the country (I'm guessing that most other posters from outside of Ontario would agree with me on that).

Having said that, you don't know much about Manitoba. Why dont you know more? After all, Manitoba IS your next door neighbor, not to mention another province in your own country. People in Manitoba know a LOT about Ontario, do you know that (I grew up mostly in Ontario, but my dad was transferred to Winnipeg for a short while when I was a teen. I couldn't get over how much my classmates there knew about my province)?

My friends in Montreal knew way more about Ontario than I ever knew about Quebec prior to moving there. My cousins and their friends in Nova Scotia definitely knew/know far more about Ontario than I and my friends knew/know about their province.

So, why is it that (southern) Ontarians' knowledge about the rest of the country is so poor? I guess there could only be one or two logical explanations: Ontarians are just not very smart, and/or the education system in Ontario blows. It couldn't possibly be due to anything else, right?

Oh, and the capital of Michigan is Lansing. The capital of Maine is Augusta (no, I didn't Internet peek). I'll admit you stumped me on the Lake Superior question, though. I've often heard it referred to as an inland sea. Is that the correct answer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or