U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-27-2016, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,746 posts, read 3,211,786 times
Reputation: 7205

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This has much more to do with the fact that over 80% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the U.S. border, while the American population is spread out over their entire country.

We are inundated with American news and politics because we live in such close proximity to them, which translates into a more intimate knowledge of their country than they have of ours. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of either the Canadian or American education systems.
Bingo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2016, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,172,550 times
Reputation: 13467
Inland sea would be correct.

(but the Great Lakes as a whole are referred to as inland seas, not just Superior)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Nashville, TN
5,746 posts, read 3,211,786 times
Reputation: 7205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Inland sea would be correct.

(but the Great Lakes as a whole are referred to as inland seas, not just Superior)
And that's why those of us from the Great Lakes region LOVE the Great Lakes! Thanks, Mags!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 02:10 PM
 
18,301 posts, read 10,390,605 times
Reputation: 13364
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, you know more about Manitoba than I thought you would, and more than most Ontarians do (you were right; Manitoba does border on North Dakota and Minnesota). As a rule, people in Ontario, and southern Ontario in particular, know very little about the rest of the country (I'm guessing that most other posters from outside of Ontario would agree with me on that).

Having said that, you don't know much about Manitoba. Why dont you know more? After all, Manitoba IS your next door neighbor, not to mention another province in your own country. People in Manitoba know a LOT about Ontario, do you know that (I grew up mostly in Ontario, but my dad was transferred to Winnipeg for a short while when I was a teen. I couldn't get over how much my classmates there knew about my province)?

My friends in Montreal knew way more about Ontario than I ever knew about Quebec prior to moving there. My cousins and their friends in Nova Scotia definitely knew/know far more about Ontario than I and my friends knew/know about their province.

So, why is it that (southern) Ontarians' knowledge about the rest of the country is so poor? I guess there could only be one or two logical explanations: Ontarians are just not very smart, and/or the education system in Ontario blows. It couldn't possibly be due to anything else, right?

Oh, and the capital of Michigan is Lansing. The capital of Maine is Augusta (no, I didn't Internet peek). I'll admit you stumped me on the Lake Superior question, though. I've often heard it referred to as an inland sea. Is that the correct answer?
Haar! I see what you did there and it's a fair analogy given the tenor of the earlier posts.

The correct answer to your query would be; those of us here in the centre of the universe need not know anything outside it's immediate sphere.

What's my prize?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 02:53 PM
 
4,995 posts, read 7,321,047 times
Reputation: 7993
I know a little about Canada.
The capital is Ottowa
They have provinces instead of states.
They have a prime minister, while his name escapes me, he's pretty handsome. I'd bang him.
Vancouver is in BC on the west coast and Toronto is in Ontario by the great lakes.
The have Quebec, which speaks and holds dear it's Frenchness.
They use the metric system
It's obviously cold due to it's latitude.
Maybe about 40 million people live there? give or take.
Ummmm, that's pretty much all I know about it.

Last edited by OptimusPrime69; 02-27-2016 at 03:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
I know a little about Canada.
The capital is Ottowa
They have provinces instead of states.
They have a prime minister, while his name escapes me, he's pretty handsome. I'd bang him.
Vancouver is in BC on the west coast and Toronto is in Ontario by the great lakes.
The have Quebec, which speaks and holds dear it's Frenchness.
They use the metric system
It's obviously cold due to it's latitude.
Maybe about 40 million people live there? give or take.
Ummmm, that's pretty much all I know about it.
Ottawa

35 million.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,172,550 times
Reputation: 13467
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
And that's why those of us from the Great Lakes region LOVE the Great Lakes! Thanks, Mags!


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 05:57 PM
 
4,995 posts, read 7,321,047 times
Reputation: 7993
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Ottawa

35 million.
Alright, I wasn't far off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 06:43 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,762 posts, read 4,181,278 times
Reputation: 15501
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, you know more about Manitoba than I thought you would, and more than most Ontarians do (you were right; Manitoba does border on North Dakota and Minnesota). As a rule, people in Ontario, and southern Ontario in particular, know very little about the rest of the country (I'm guessing that most other posters from outside of Ontario would agree with me on that).

Having said that, you don't know much about Manitoba. Why dont you know more? After all, Manitoba IS your next door neighbor, not to mention another province in your own country. People in Manitoba know a LOT about Ontario, do you know that (I grew up mostly in Ontario, but my dad was transferred to Winnipeg for a short while when I was a teen. I couldn't get over how much my classmates there knew about my province)?

My friends in Montreal knew way more about Ontario than I ever knew about Quebec prior to moving there. My cousins and their friends in Nova Scotia definitely knew/know far more about Ontario than I and my friends knew/know about their province.

So, why is it that (southern) Ontarians' knowledge about the rest of the country is so poor? I guess there could only be one or two logical explanations: Ontarians are just not very smart, and/or the education system in Ontario blows. It couldn't possibly be due to anything else, right?

Oh, and the capital of Michigan is Lansing. The capital of Maine is Augusta (no, I didn't Internet peek). I'll admit you stumped me on the Lake Superior question, though. I've often heard it referred to as an inland sea. Is that the correct answer?
Yes, an inland sea is correct. Good for you for knowing it and the capital cities I asked about.

As far as other Canadians knowing about the rest of Canada, I don't know. I guess it depends on whether they have traveled at all, have an interest to know geography, or learned things in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2016, 07:30 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,697 posts, read 8,769,158 times
Reputation: 7313
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, an inland sea is correct. Good for you for knowing it and the capital cities I asked about.

As far as other Canadians knowing about the rest of Canada, I don't know. I guess it depends on whether they have traveled at all, have an interest to know geography, or learned things in school.
The first memory I have of learning about the rest of Canada, was when I was in Grade 3. I got to play PEI in our presentation to parents.

As for me today and friends, they all know about the rest of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top