Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2016, 09:52 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that's exactly what you did .
What do you mean New England isn't a state? They have the Patriots...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 02:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
you are delusional. Yes, people who prefer four seasons probably like to have winters, winters in the sense of how Vancouver or NYC feels in January. (yes, Vancouver winter is real winter, don't kid ourselves). But nobody likes Canadians winter, which is the fifth season. To call it simply winter is a misnomer.

Many probably do like to have a winter wardrobe, but hardly anyone enjoys wearing a Canada Goose with heavy scarf and globes in April, not to mention incurring multiple accidents on the highways due to a snowstorm, in APRIL, when the rest of the world is basking under 20C sun.
Winter in Vancouver was really mild, again, this year. No gloves or scarves were needed. Saturday was quite warm, too warm for a jacket. Most in T-Shirts and shorts. Today, it's cooler, but by Thursday the seaside temps will be 20C, which means, according to the forecast, 27C inland a few K's.

This time of year it can be really warm and then cool off the next day. I don't have a winter wardrobe per se. I have one heavier coat that I wore a few times this year and a pair of gloves, that I would have to dig out since I haven't needed them for a few years.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:33 PM

909 posts, read 1,152,600 times
Quote:
you are delusional. Yes, people who prefer four seasons probably like to have winters, winters in the sense of how Vancouver or NYC feels in January. (yes, Vancouver winter is real winter, don't kid ourselves). But nobody likes Canadians winter, which is the fifth season. To call it simply winter is a misnomer.

Many probably do like to have a winter wardrobe, but hardly anyone enjoys wearing a Canada Goose with heavy scarf and globes in April, not to mention incurring multiple accidents on the highways due to a snowstorm, in APRIL, when the rest of the world is basking under 20C sun.
A real winter is one with snow. Vancouver doesn't get snow so it is not a real winter. New York City can be considered a real winter though. Any place with a long period of snow is considered a real winter in my opinion. When someone says the word winter people usually think of white snow.

Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM

1,504 posts, read 850,649 times
Think of it as a power imbalance. Similar to a Catholic priest who listens to confession. Canada is that Catholic priest who knows all and the confessor knows nothing of the priest. Seriously....I really do not care. What is there to know about Canada that is relevant?

Old 04-04-2016, 07:34 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.A.Bachlow View Post
Think of it as a power imbalance. Similar to a Catholic priest who listens to confession. Canada is that Catholic priest who knows all and the confessor knows nothing of the priest. Seriously....I really do not care. What is there to know about Canada that is relevant?
Fine you don't feel there is anything relevant to know about Canada.. Doesn't change the fact that your analogy is pretty wack!

Old 04-05-2016, 08:17 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
A real winter is one with snow. Vancouver doesn't get snow so it is not a real winter. New York City can be considered a real winter though. Any place with a long period of snow is considered a real winter in my opinion. When someone says the word winter people usually think of white snow.
that's just your (wrong) opinion. Plenty of cities have very cold winter yet little snow. So they are not winter? Snow is not a necessity for winter, just like thunderstorm doesn't naturally come with summer.

Try to convince those in Ulanbaatar that they don't have real winters.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:23 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,716,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Winter in Vancouver was really mild, again, this year. No gloves or scarves were needed. Saturday was quite warm, too warm for a jacket. Most in T-Shirts and shorts. Today, it's cooler, but by Thursday the seaside temps will be 20C, which means, according to the forecast, 27C inland a few K's.

This time of year it can be really warm and then cool off the next day. I don't have a winter wardrobe per se. I have one heavier coat that I wore a few times this year and a pair of gloves, that I would have to dig out since I haven't needed them for a few years.
come on, Vancouver averages 1-7C in Jan. That's winter. I am not saying that's bitterly cold, but that's real winter. You think it is so warm and mild only because you are Canadians, and you grow up hearing envies about how winterless Vancouver is. Shanghai is 2-8 in Jan, and trust me, nobody says it doesn't have winter. Actually every time I go back in Jan-Feb, I complain how cold it is.

A winterless city would not need indoor heating systems as a standard necessity. Try that in Vancouver.

Old 04-05-2016, 08:42 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
that's just your (wrong) opinion.
If its an opinion, it isn't wrong.

Sheesh...

Old 04-05-2016, 11:14 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
If its an opinion, it isn't wrong.

Sheesh...
Ill-informed, misguided, non-factual, unsupportable...need I go on?

Old 04-05-2016, 11:44 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
come on, Vancouver averages 1-7C in Jan. That's winter. I am not saying that's bitterly cold, but that's real winter. You think it is so warm and mild only because you are Canadians, and you grow up hearing envies about how winterless Vancouver is. Shanghai is 2-8 in Jan, and trust me, nobody says it doesn't have winter. Actually every time I go back in Jan-Feb, I complain how cold it is.

A winterless city would not need indoor heating systems as a standard necessity. Try that in Vancouver.
Where did I say that it's not winter? I said " mild winter ". Average temps don't tell the real story. Many days in January are over 10 C in Vancouver, and the ground is never frozen etc. It is MILD, compared to the rest of Canada and that is what this thread is about.

Many people around the world, and not just Americans, have this " frozen north " image of Canada. One thing that many ( just read the questions on travel sites ) people don't realize that in the dead of winter there are places in Canada, SW B.C. that aren't frozen and no parkas needed, that palm trees grow, and the harbour doesn't freeze over. The harbour question I've personally been ask by some Australians.

So when someone from the US asks about Canadian winters, one thing they may not know, is what a SW BC winter is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada