U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-06-2016, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I get you. But I live in New York state about 40 Trudeau Units a/k/a kilometers from New York City. Much of New York is virtually uninhabited wilderness. In fact in 1982 after my bar exam I was taking a 21 year old bar exam taker (he graduated high school at 15 and law school at 21 so not a stupid person) hiking about 100 Trudeau Units from New York City. Not a person and barely a road in sight. He asked what state we were in and I said "New York."

But let's be honest, most people, when you say "New York" think of the city and not the state.
Might not be stupid at 21 but not worldly yet. You can be the most brilliant person in one area and a complete fool in another.

Myself, I would probably do poorly at law, since it bores me, but I love travel and geography. I always knew, even as a child, that NYC was in NY State and that state had many lovely towns and woods etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2016, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For the record that was my colleague. I graduated at 25.

As far as "Trudeau Units" my position is not laughable. Canada is definitely a separate country but there is no doubt about it is physically joined to the U.S. over the longest peaceful and inhabited border in the world. Having different measure system is more a recipe for chaos than anything else. Just because Old World countries do something doesn't mean that the New World countries should join.

And there was no response to my statement about winter, only about my nomenclature.
The US has been flirting with metric since the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric..._United_States

Your scientists use metric, like the rest of the world.

Last time I looked, those are 2 litre bottles of Coke being sold in US stores.

As Acajack said, you're more metric than you realize.

Also as Bottie has pointed out, pretty much the whole world uses metric, new and old. It's the US that's the backwards one in this case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 10:59 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Oh, okay. The New York metro area does include parts of New Jersey as well as other states, so those people are not necessarily lying.

I don't live in Los Angeles, not even in the same county, but officially I am in the "greater Los Angeles metro area."

I don't expect anyone who doesn't live here to have heard of my little town. If I'm in Michigan or Idaho (or Canada) and someone asks where I'm from, I may say "Los Angeles" just because it's easier and I know it's a place they've heard of. Of course, I know I don't actually live in Los Angeles proper.
I think that's the same pretty much everywhere. I know people here when travelling and they are asked where they live, they will say Vancouver, instead of Coquitlam or wherever. Saves time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,761 posts, read 8,321,072 times
Reputation: 5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The US has been flirting with metric since the 19th century.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric..._United_States

Your scientists use metric, like the rest of the world.

Last time I looked, those are 2 litre bottles of Coke being sold in US stores.

As Acajack said, you're more metric than you realize.
Do you guys drink "pints" of beer up there? Or do you convert to ml?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think he was being sarcastic but in doing so, he's being a million times more silly than Canada is silly (and therefore the object of his mockery) for using the Metric system.


If there is anything silly about Canada's approach to weights and measures, it's that we still haven't fully implemented Metric in all aspects of life, and that imperial measures still linger and dominate in so many places.
Partly because of certain imported products from down south, and partly generational.

I understand both systems, but actually prefer metric. So much easier to figure things out. People under 30 in Canada know only metric.
People who work in food shops can tell you that when American tourists ask for half a pound of something, most clerks have to look that up and convert it for two reason, they don't know how much that is, and the scales are only metric.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Boston, MA
11,761 posts, read 8,321,072 times
Reputation: 5807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
There is of course ignorance on both sides, but the ignorance is different in my experience.

Some Canadians might not know the inner workings of your political process, or which state borders which state, they do know a lot about you through media, and the fact that most Canadians have travelled to the US. Not too mention over generalizations about certain aspects of US society.

However, we know you have electricity, we know you have cars, roads, malls, airports etc. Having Americans
( and I can pretty much guarantee most Canadians can tell some sort of story ) ask you

" Do you have airports in Canada " "beaches? But you live in Canada?" " Canada? That's that state just above Minnesota isn't it? "

All of the above I have experienced.

Now this of course does not mean ALL Americans. I have met Americans who know more about the world and Canada than I do. It's jus the extreme stories that seem to stick around.

I do think though, that with the internet, things are getting " better ".
It seems to me that Canadians want these anecdotes to stick around. It fits what you want to believe about Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you guys drink "pints" of beer up there? Or do you convert to ml?
I've had this conversation before LOL.

We drink Imperial Pints, not US size Pints which are smaller. 20 imperial fluid oz is the measurement, not 16 US oz.

The reason? Probably because of the millions of pint sized beer glasses out there, and sentimental reasons. We love our beer

It's the only official imperial measurement legally left. You can not advertise a pint unless it's that size.

Will it be around forever? Not sure, many sizes of glasses of beer are offered.

However I don't think having pints is a crack in our metric system. The UK does the same thing. Not sure about Australia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Gatineau, Québec
21,960 posts, read 27,390,495 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Partly because of certain imported products from down south, and partly generational.

.

In some cases it's also a practical consideration.


For example, Canada's lumber industry has much (most?) of its client base in the U.S.


That's why its products are 2 x 4 planks, 4 x 8 sheets of plywood, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,701 posts, read 8,775,044 times
Reputation: 7314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
It seems to me that Canadians want these anecdotes to stick around. It fits what you want to believe about Americans.
Naw, it's just that there is enough of them to stick around...besides sometimes they are quite funny and new ones pop up all the time and old ones like " You're not really free in Canada because you can't own guns " is an old time fave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM
 
873 posts, read 816,507 times
Reputation: 554
I think the less America knows the better. I think Canada is seen as a good country on a worldwide scale. I like the recognition we get currently. I do wish people knew more about Canada than just Toronto. But I can't complain because I pretty much only know the large cities or capitals in other countries too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top