Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2015, 09:22 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
It's no exaggeration to say that there isn't any week of the year goes by that there isn't an incident makes the news about one or more of those areas (and more outlying towns) having visiting bears, cougars, bobcats, coyotes, the odd sea-wolf or two, deer, elk, raccoons, skunks and more coming into business districts and residential neighbourhoods right in town.
What is a "sea-wolf"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:23 PM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
My dream would be for Rick Mercer to stop my on the street and spout some idiocy about Saskatchewan seals, or how "Canadian students don't know who their President is." I would give him a pretty good run for his money on Canadiana. Obviously the clip would never run.

Jim B.G. (a/k//a JBG)
Rick Mercer has pretty much admitted that there are people who get the right answers (or at least don't give really dumb answers) but that they don't run those because they wouldn't be funny. This is not a sociological study. It's comic entertainment.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
What is a "sea-wolf"?
Pretty sure he means a seal.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Rick Mercer has pretty much admitted that there are people who get the right answers (or at least don't give really dumb answers) but that they don't run those because they wouldn't be funny. This is not a sociological study. It's comic entertainment.
in this case the comedy would have gone the other way, i.e. when he wouldn't have known about one or more of these:
  1. Montcalm v. Wolfe, Plains of Abraham; (not identified by two Peterborough, Ontario teachers)
  2. Fort York's modern name;
  3. Lower Canada's modern name;
  4. Upper Canada's modern name;
  5. Who John Macdonald was;
  6. Louis Riel;
  7. Proposed name for combined province in modern times called Saskatchewan and Alberta;
  8. Identity of Canadian PM's from Wilfred Laurier on;
  9. Berlin, Ontario's modern name;
  10. Description of old and new flags; and
  11. Former PM who talked to his dead mother and dogs.
I bet you I could have made him the comedy figure.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:36 PM

Quote:
in this case the comedy would have gone the other way, i.e. when he wouldn't have known about one or more of these:
  1. Montcalm v. Wolfe, Plains of Abraham; (not identified by two Peterborough, Ontario teachers)
  2. Fort York's modern name;
  3. Lower Canada's modern name;
  4. Upper Canada's modern name;
  5. Who John Macdonald was;
  6. Louis Riel;
  7. Proposed name for combined province in modern times called Saskatchewan and Alberta;
  8. Identity of Canadian PM's from Wilfred Laurier on;
  9. Berlin, Ontario's modern name;
  10. Description of old and new flags; and
  11. Former PM who talked to his dead mother and dogs.
I bet you I could have made him the comedy figure.
You think Rick Mercer would not have known the answers to most of these?

Old 10-30-2015, 09:46 PM

Quote:
You think Rick Mercer would not have known the answers to most of these?
I'm sure he wouldn't have known at least a third of them.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:51 PM

Quote:
I'm sure he wouldn't have known at least a third of them.
Oh he's a CBC type. He would have known most of them I am sure.

But your average Canadian? That would have been funny.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:54 PM

Case in point (in Toronto so interviews are in English):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGiN-_6Qk_E

This same guy generally does this in Quebec. He finds no shortage of clueless people here as well.

Old 10-30-2015, 10:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,038,045 times
Quote:
What is a "sea-wolf"?
Quote:
Pretty sure he means a seal.
AJ, I am a she.

They are wolves known as sea wolves, but are a very unique subspecies of the grey wolf, they are fishing wolves that inhabit the coastal regions of BC. They hunt for Sitka deer, fish, shellfish, crustaceans, edible seaweeds in addition to other wolfy kinds of foods. They are as comfortable in the ocean as they are on land and are known to swim several miles at a stretch to get from one island to another and to and from the mainland. Sometimes they will visit villages and towns on the islands and mainland, occasionally to steal farm dogs or small livestock. They look rangy but are incredibly strong and are very powerful, enduring swimmers. They normally inhabit the Great Bear Rainforest and northwest coastal regions but have sometimes been seen in southern BC swimming around the Gulf Islands between Vancouver and Victoria.

Here's a bit of info about them, with beautiful pictures of them:

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/ani...etive-sea-wolf

Photographer zooms in on unique coastal wolves of British Columbia | MNN - Mother Nature Network

B.C.’s sea wolves featured in National Geographic | Metro News

Last edited by Zoisite; 10-30-2015 at 10:50 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 10:38 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,335,819 times
I can think of a number of factors regarding this disparity that haven't received too much attention:

For openers, the percentage of Canadian citizens living within a couple of hours drive of American territory is much greater than the percentage of Americans living a similar distance from Canada. That disparity would also apply to the percentage of each nation's citizenry receiving radio and television broadcasts for across the border. And when I lived in Nebraska some years ago, the local public radio carried a considerably higher proportion of Canadian content than PBS "back East" -- probably due to lower identification with the greater diversity in American "bi-coastal" culture.

Vacation patterns might also have something to do with it; more somewhat-upscale Canadians are likely to be attracted by the warmer climate of the American Sunbelt. I live in a semi-rural area, and most of the Americans I know who are more familiar with Canada were either truckers who crossed the border in the course of the job, or outdoorsmen who went for the hunting and fishing; the fields of common interest aren't the same.

With regard to Mr. jbgusa's "pop quiz", I got all the answers except Nos. 7, 8, 9, and 11 -- and learned all of them, except for Riel and the metis, by the time I'd graduated from college; (I can name most of the PM's post-Diefenbaker). Admittedly, the circumstances of one's education and where one grew up are a factor, but Americans, particularly those who grew up in the Northeast or near the Great Lakes, aren't as ignorant as is sometimes depicted -- and the gap will continue to narrow.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-30-2015 at 11:19 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada