Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2015, 07:22 PM

659 posts, read 898,691 times

Advertisements

I find it amusing. It's always to easy to prove their stereotypes wrong with facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 09:31 PM

131 posts, read 156,395 times
I know a bit about Canada and I think it has some really cool things. I've spent a lot of time in W. Canada, but not the east or prairie provinces. I'm from Montana. I read the Canadian papers online every day to see what's going on.

I was in the little town of Digsby, Alberta last summer in a sort of new-age shop (I went in to look at the minerals) listening to two Canadian women (both from Digsby, one appeared to be the shop owner and the other a friend) talking with great derision about how superior Canadians are to Americans when it comes to traveling. They went on and on about how Americans have to travel in groups and are afraid of everything yada yada. I was traveling alone, sleeping in the back of my truck (I have a topper) and just exploring their beautiful country. I found it to be really unpleasant, so I left. I'm sure they had no idea I was an American, as I hadn't said anything to them and was dressed pretty much like everyone up there, which is pretty much like everyone down here in MT.

I was shocked the first time I went up there to see all the same (crap) American businesses I'd left back home - KFC, Costco, McDonalds, A&W, etc. In fact, half the time I would've thought I was in the U.S. except for the signs in metric and French.

I will say that, in general, I found most Canadians to be really nice people and I could easily live there. I especially like the Yukon and B.C. - oh, and the Trailer Park Boys.

Last edited by Rockskipper; 11-15-2015 at 09:40 PM..

Old 11-15-2015, 11:15 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockskipper View Post

I was in the little town of Digsby, Alberta last summer in a sort of new-age shop (I went in to look at the minerals) listening to two Canadian women (both from Digsby, one appeared to be the shop owner and the other a friend) talking with great derision about how superior Canadians are to Americans when it comes to traveling. They went on and on about how Americans have to travel in groups and are afraid of everything yada yada. I was traveling alone, sleeping in the back of my truck (I have a topper) and just exploring their beautiful country. I found it to be really unpleasant, so I left. I'm sure they had no idea I was an American, as I hadn't said anything to them and was dressed pretty much like everyone up there, which is pretty much like everyone down here in MT.
This isn't the first time I've read about this sentiment from Americans.. I don't agree with this holier than though mentality from some Canadians but just know these people don't represent the majority and most of our discussion is simply not focused on the U.S.. It may seem like that on C/D but if you were 'embedded' in Canada's social network for any period of time I think you'd find what I am saying to be true.

Quote:
I was shocked the first time I went up there to see all the same (crap) American businesses I'd left back home - KFC, Costco, McDonalds, A&W, etc. In fact, half the time I would've thought I was in the U.S. except for the signs in metric and French.
American fast food chains in particular are pretty commonplace throughout the world. Picture walking down one of the most fantastic and beautiful streets in the entire world - La Rambla in Barcelona and picture McDonalds and KFC prominently on that street. It is simply a fact of life that American Fast food chains are the dominant global fast food chains. With that said, if you ignore them you will see many many other more local chains and mom and pop shops - even in Canada!

Old 11-16-2015, 08:06 AM

131 posts, read 156,395 times
Thanks for the reply, Fusion. I have seen American crap fastfood places elsewhere. I was in Mexico City once and saw a friend's son standing in line in one, it was a real shock, as I had no idea he was down there. Ha.

Yeah, most Canadians I've met are really nice people, extremely polite. There's a contingency of medical people from Calgary that vacation every spring in the Utah desert that I got to know and we're all good friends now. Mostly nurses, male and female. Mountain biker types. We sit around the campfire and marvel at both cultures and how similar and yet different they can be.

Old 11-16-2015, 03:33 PM

498 posts, read 543,174 times
Canadians know shyte about the USA, they think they know otherwise. I spend 4 months a year in the US and I laugh my arse off when I return home and hear Canadians spew mindless shyte about the US.

Old 11-19-2015, 01:17 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times
Quote:

I will say that, in general, I found most Canadians to be really nice people and I could easily live there. I especially like the Yukon and B.C. - oh, and the Trailer Park Boys.
I would say three are more 7/11's per capita in Mexico City and Bangkok by far than anywhere else in the world including the U.S.. Oddly enough, 7/11 doesn't have that much traction in Canada.

B.C imo is the most beautiful part of the country in terms of nature and landcape. Good choice!

Old 11-19-2015, 04:59 PM

34,993 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
I know a bit about Canada and I think it has some really cool things.
Most of the Northwest Territories, Nunavut and Yukon Territory are really cool.

Quote:
I've spent a lot of time in W. Canada, but not the east or prairie provinces. I'm from Montana. I read the Canadian papers online every day to see what's going on.
I've spent a week in Alberta but much more time in Ontario and Quebec.

Quote:
I was in the little town of Digsby, Alberta last summer in a sort of new-age shop (I went in to look at the minerals) listening to two Canadian women (both from Digsby, one appeared to be the shop owner and the other a friend) talking with great derision about how superior Canadians are to Americans when it comes to traveling. They went on and on about how Americans have to travel in groups and are afraid of everything yada yada.
I remember being on a ski trip in January 1979 and being lectured by a bilingual Anglophone from Montreal on how barbaric we were since we didn't have unlimited health insurance wrapped up in a credit card.

Quote:
I was shocked the first time I went up there to see all the same (crap) American businesses I'd left back home - KFC, Costco, McDonalds, A&W, etc. In fact, half the time I would've thought I was in the U.S. except for the signs in metric and French.[
Quite true in Alberta. Less so in Ontario, and not at all so in Quebec.
Quote:
Agreed.

Old 11-19-2015, 05:40 PM

4,865 posts, read 10,520,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Quite true in Alberta. Less so in Ontario, and not at all so in Quebec.
I don't disagree, but you'll still find plenty of McDonald's, KFC (PFK), and Costco in Quebec.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:04 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I don't disagree, but you'll still find plenty of McDonald's, KFC (PFK), and Costco in Quebec.
Ah but "la belle province" makes better hamburgers than all of them, tabernac! I used to live down the block from one and I admit I ate there more than I should have. The one near my place served breakfast, so I would go there before work sometimes.

I don't remember seeing 7/11's in Quebec, just "couche-tard". Unfortunately I see 7/11's everywhere here in Winnipeg. Winnipeg is the 7/11 slurpee capital of the world and it is no coincidence it is also the obesity and diabetes capital of Canada.

Old 11-19-2015, 06:07 PM

615 posts, read 1,390,761 times
Perhaps less due to Slurpees than the climate that keeps everyone older than 12 homebound nine months of the year?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada