Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2016, 11:28 AM

5 posts, read 4,917 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with the premise of this question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:19 PM

6,615 posts, read 6,484,446 times
Yes, it bothers me sometimes that they don't know their geography or the Canadian government system. I'd wager that not many of them know who our Prime Minister is or if they would be able to name all or most our provinces.

I'd say their school system and media is to blame, but their kids should be taught world geography in school, especially Canada, because Canada is their closest, largest neighbor.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:48 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,354,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, it bothers me sometimes that they don't know their geography or the Canadian government system. I'd wager that not many of them know who our Prime Minister is or if they would be able to name all or most our provinces.

I'd say their school system and media is to blame, but their kids should be taught world geography in school, especially Canada, because Canada is their closest, largest neighbor.
But to put that in perspective; they've absorbed over 12 million illegal Mexicans into their society without bothering to learn anything about that country either so I'm not feeling left out at all.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:11 PM

1,189 posts, read 1,152,776 times
It's neat that some of us below the 49th parallel know a few cities that are above it, and maybe even how things are there. Really though, the most important thing we need to know (and never forget) is how incredibly fortunate we are to have such great neighbors to our true north. Mercy buckets, so to speak!

Old 02-25-2016, 09:27 PM

15,109 posts, read 15,704,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
It's neat that some of us below the 49th parallel know a few cities that are above it, and maybe even how things are there. Really though, the most important thing we need to know (and never forget) is how incredibly fortunate we are to have such great neighbors to our true north. Mercy buckets, so to speak!
Awwwwwwww - big virtual hugs to you...

After reading a bunch of depressing posts from some of the Debbie downers in the Canada forums its nice to read something that makes one smile

Back at ya! We could have done a lot worse as well - just PUHLEASE don't vote Trump

Old 02-26-2016, 10:29 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,076,125 times
Quote:
This has much more to do with the fact that over 80% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the U.S. border, while the American population is spread out over their entire country.

We are inundated with American news and politics because we live in such close proximity to them, which translates into a more intimate knowledge of their country than they have of ours. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of either the Canadian or American education systems.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:28 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,784,568 times
Quote:

In which province do you live, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 02-26-2016, 01:35 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,354,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
This has much more to do with the fact that over 80% of the Canadian population lives within 100 miles of the U.S. border, while the American population is spread out over their entire country.

We are inundated with American news and politics because we live in such close proximity to them, which translates into a more intimate knowledge of their country than they have of ours. It has absolutely nothing to do with the quality of either the Canadian or American education systems.
I think in reality it might be a blending of both. Our education system has adjusted over time to factor in the reality of our neighbour having such a large influence world-wide whereas theirs would merely be reflective of a standard geographical consideration of Canada being just another country among many.

Some might desire to attach a "willful ignorance" to American's knowledge of Canada whereas I don't believe Canada is singled out for any special treatment in that regard at all.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 PM

18,492 posts, read 15,337,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think in reality it might be a blending of both. Our education system has adjusted over time to factor in the reality of our neighbour having such a large influence world-wide whereas theirs would merely be reflective of a standard geographical consideration of Canada being just another country among many.

Some might desire to attach a "willful ignorance" to American's knowledge of Canada whereas I don't believe Canada is singled out for any special treatment in that regard at all.
Agree to a point, but in my experience the type of ignorance about Canada usually goes beyond the others.

At least in my experience. For example, they may not know much about Australia, but they know or at least have heard about Sydney, whereas they usually are surprised to find out Canada has anything remotely the size of a city.

Of course we are talking about the really ignorant.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:43 PM

323 posts, read 373,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Agree to a point, but in my experience the type of ignorance about Canada usually goes beyond the others.

At least in my experience. For example, they may not know much about Australia, but they know or at least have heard about Sydney, whereas they usually are surprised to find out Canada has anything remotely the size of a city.

Of course we are talking about the really ignorant.
Sydney is more often featured in movies and books than Canadian cities.

People retain knowledge that is important to them. As much as Canadians would like to think otherwise, Canada isn't particularly important to the average American, while America is somewhat more important to the average Canadian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada