Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2016, 06:02 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Yes, it bothers me sometimes that they don't know their geography or the Canadian government system. I'd wager that not many of them know who our Prime Minister is or if they would be able to name all or most our provinces.

I'd say their school system and media is to blame, but their kids should be taught world geography in school, especially Canada, because Canada is their closest, largest neighbor.
Let me try, and I'm not using Google:

Prime Minister is Justin Trudeau, or Trudeau the Dumber (compared to his father Trudeau the Smarter if still destructive).
Provinces, I may know a few, here goes, without Google again:
  1. British Columbia;
  2. Alberta;
  3. Saskatchewan;
  4. Manitoba;
  5. Ontario;
  6. Quebec (calls itself a nation);
  7. New Brunswick;
  8. Nova Scotia;
  9. Prince Edward Island (too small to see on a map);
  10. Newfoundland & Labrador (I think that's the right nomenclature);
  11. Yukon;
  12. Northwest Territories; and
  13. Nunavut (I'll have none of that).
How many did I miss? Let's try capitals:
  1. Victoria;
  2. Edmonton;
  3. Regina;
  4. Winterpeg;
  5. Toronto;
  6. Quebec City;
  7. Fredericton; With some help from spell-check)
  8. Halifax;
  9. Charlottetown;
  10. St. John;
  11. Whiteknife;
  12. Yellowhorse;
  13. Iqaluit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fubarbundy View Post
It's neat that some of us below the 49th parallel know a few cities that are above it, and maybe even how things are there. Really though, the most important thing we need to know (and never forget) is how incredibly fortunate we are to have such great neighbors to our true north. Mercy buckets, so to speak!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Awwwwwwww - big virtual hugs to you...

After reading a bunch of depressing posts from some of the Debbie downers in the Canada forums its nice to read something that makes one smile

Back at ya! We could have done a lot worse as well - just PUHLEASE don't vote Trump
Remember, for a good chunk of the U.S. border, Canada lies to the East, and for a few miles in Alaska, to the South.

That's a quibble though. I think both countries owe a good part of their prosperity to the fact that the border is peaceful, even deeply friendly.

Old 02-28-2016, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
So, *without referring to Google* (no cheating!), tell me what you know about the province of Manitoba.
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Well, you know more about Manitoba than I thought you would, and more than most Ontarians do (you were right; Manitoba does border on North Dakota and Minnesota). As a rule, people in Ontario, and southern Ontario in particular, know very little about the rest of the country (I'm guessing that most other posters from outside of Ontario would agree with me on that).

Having said that, you don't know much about Manitoba. Why dont you know more? After all, Manitoba IS your next door neighbor, not to mention another province in your own country. People in Manitoba know a LOT about Ontario, do you know that (I grew up mostly in Ontario, but my dad was transferred to Winnipeg for a short while when I was a teen. I couldn't get over how much my classmates there knew about my province)?

My friends in Montreal knew way more about Ontario than I ever knew about Quebec prior to moving there. My cousins and their friends in Nova Scotia definitely knew/know far more about Ontario than I and my friends knew/know about their province.

So, why is it that (southern) Ontarians' knowledge about the rest of the country is so poor? I guess there could only be one or two logical explanations: Ontarians are just not very smart, and/or the education system in Ontario blows. It couldn't possibly be due to anything else, right?

Oh, and the capital of Michigan is Lansing. The capital of Maine is Augusta (no, I didn't Internet peek). I'll admit you stumped me on the Lake Superior question, though. I've often heard it referred to as an inland sea. Is that the correct answer?
Without looking at Gouligan's answer:
  1. The capital is Winterpeg;
  2. Lots of lakes such as Lake Winnipeg, Lake Winnipegosis;
  3. Churchill is a popular polar bear watching venue;
  4. The north is tundra;
  5. Recent premiers have been Gary Filmon and Gary Doer (don't know name of current one after Doer was tapped as Ambassador to the United States by Harper);
  6. The majority party is the NDP; and
  7. It has a significant Icelandic pocket around Gimli, which was for a short time an independent republic.
Other than that I am generally ignorant about Canada.

Last edited by jbgusa; 02-28-2016 at 06:27 AM..

Old 02-28-2016, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
Question for you without Google: What is the capital city of Michigan? How about Maine?
What do they call Lake Superior? ......... Sea
Lansing, Augusta. And according to Gordon Lightfoot Lake Superior is called "Gitch-ee-goo-mee."

Questions for you on Ontario (no cheating):
  1. What is the name of the city/town on the shores of James Bay?
  2. What are the names the two component cities of Thunder Bay?
  3. What was the name of the party leader who won election as Conservative premier during the 1990's in the "Common Sense Revolution"; and
  4. What happened at Petawawa?

Old 02-28-2016, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The first memory I have of learning about the rest of Canada, was when I was in Grade 3. I got to play PEI in our presentation to parents.
A "small" part?

Old 02-28-2016, 09:57 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The first memory I have of learning about the rest of Canada, was when I was in Grade 3. I got to play PEI in our presentation to parents.

As for me today and friends, they all know about the rest of the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Lansing, Augusta. And according to Gordon Lightfoot Lake Superior is called "Gitch-ee-goo-mee."

Questions for you on Ontario (no cheating):
  1. What is the name of the city/town on the shores of James Bay?
  2. What are the names the two component cities of Thunder Bay?
  3. What was the name of the party leader who won election as Conservative premier during the 1990's in the "Common Sense Revolution"; and
  4. What happened at Petawawa?

Can I answer?

*Moosonee
*ugh....Port Aurther......and something else. Fort....something.
*Mike Harris (everyone should know that lol)
*Internment camps for Germans (and I think Italians)

Old 02-28-2016, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post

Can I answer?

*Moosonee
Moosonee is correct.
Port Arthur and Fort Williams
Mike Harris is correct
Petawawa was a First Nations uprising.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:52 AM

11,222 posts, read 16,424,594 times
3.5/4 ain't bad. lol

Old 02-28-2016, 11:57 AM

Quote:
3.5/4 ain't bad. lol
Given that I only got 26 out of 30 correct on a bunch of these quizzes on my own country, (link), quite right.

Old 02-28-2016, 12:52 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times
Quote:

Can I answer?

*Moosonee
LOL. Ya that was kind of it. I held a yellow cutout of the province and had to shout out " and PEI ".

Scarred me for life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada