U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2015, 08:26 AM

19 posts, read 21,163 times

Advertisements

Let's face it, Canadians know everything there is to know about the United States and the States basically knows nothing about Canada. Americans think little to absolutely nothing about Canada (some don't even know or care it exists) and others just know stereotypes and nothing else.

Does this ever bother Canadians?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 08:37 AM

18,477 posts, read 9,561,235 times
I'm working in Peru for a Canadian based company and hang out mostly with Canadians. I think it does irk them a bit but they are patient to explain about their country if you ask. Did you know they recently celebrated Thanksgiving and have a big election in 4 days....I wouldn't have known if I wasn't working with these guys.

Canadians do think their country is superior to the USA and are pissed that the Canadian dollar has fallen so low and they have to pay a lot more of their dollars than I do when I buy Peruvian Soles.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:46 AM

9,701 posts, read 7,246,648 times
How do we know that Americans know "nothing" about Canadians?

Why would we expect that Americans would know Canadians like Canadians know Americans, given that one country is 10x bigger, richer and more prominent than the other?

Old 10-15-2015, 08:47 AM

19 posts, read 21,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
How do we know that Americans know "nothing" about Canadians?

Why would we expect that Americans would know Canadians like Canadians know Americans, given that one country is 10x bigger, richer and more prominent than the other?
Because Canada is so close to the United States. It may not be a significant country, but.. Due to the proximity it's a little odd that Americans know nothing about Canadians.

Old 10-15-2015, 10:02 AM

368 posts, read 300,653 times
Doesn't bother me.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:58 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Americans normally don't know much about the rest of the world as well. Canada is hardly a bit deal for the US, so why should they know so much about Canada?

And it is not like other countries know much about Canada either. A friend of my just visited me over the long weekend and was so surprised to learn that Toronto is 5 hours flight away from Vancouver.

What bothers me is Canada's cultural obsession (I know many deny that) and cultural/economic dependence on the US.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:09 PM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
Let's face it, Canadians know everything there is to know about the United States and the States basically knows nothing about Canada. Americans think little to absolutely nothing about Canada (some don't even know or care it exists) and others just know stereotypes and nothing else.

Does this ever bother Canadians?
If they are bothered, they probably take consolation in the fact that the majority of Americans undoubtedly know nothing about any other country.

Americans don't give a fart in a jug about much of anything.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:25 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,338,144 times
It would be incorrect to claim that there isn't a decent chunk of the Canadian population that is at least irked by the fact that Americans ignore Canada.

I mean, isn't one of the biggest "memes" out there in Canada related to how Americans are so dumb about Canadian stuff, generally peppered with anecdotes about skis on car roof racks in July, or fears of not being able to get by in English (and being faced with French) as soon as you cross the Idaho-Alberta border?

Old 10-15-2015, 12:26 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,212,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
Because Canada is so close to the United States. It may not be a significant country, but.. Due to the proximity it's a little odd that Americans know nothing about Canadians.
YOU may know nothing about Canadians.

Old 10-15-2015, 01:56 PM

12,681 posts, read 8,743,773 times
Bother me? No. I have always said that I don't care if people don't know much about Canada. I don't care if they can't name our PM, our provinces etc.

What I do find irritating is when they treat me as if I'm a country bumpkin.However mostly I find it humorous.

Things like when people think that Canada is frozen all year, and that we don't have cities, airports etc. That they have to explain to me what a nice store looks like. How freeways work. Silly question like " do you have subways".
A friend working at a World's Fair in the US at the Canada pavilion was constantly asked after viewing a film about Canada, what was the name of the city. Explaining that the film showed many cities in Canada. So their first surprise was learning Canada had a city, the second that there is more than one.

As I've said before this is not just Americans. I've posted many stories of Australians, Europeans, etc that have said some pretty funny things about Canada.

My American friends know a lot about Canada. Not everything , but a lot. They love it in fact and encourage their family and friends to visit, as I do.

So anyone reading this who hasn't been to Canada, may I suggest you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or