U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 12:11 AM

411 posts, read 1,150,947 times

Advertisements

OP, you must be kidding. Canada does not even "tolerate" alcohol sales very well. It is so religious and bigot, and so many centuries back, that it's considering alcohol a "sin" and tax your wallet and skin you to death for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 07:49 AM

3,431 posts, read 3,049,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
OP, you must be kidding. Canada does not even "tolerate" alcohol sales very well. It is so religious and bigot, and so many centuries back, that it's considering alcohol a "sin" and tax your wallet and skin you to death for it.
I think this is largely due to some of the more unfortunate things that go along with alcohol. Most people can handle alcohol, but for the few who can't, there's bar fights, house brawls, drunk driving, alcoholism (an ugly way to die). Although it's just a small minority who wind up dealing with those issues, anyone who wants to demonize alcohol can easily point to those problems as the reason to keep tight control over where and how it can be bought or consumed.

To the original post, I can't see why mj won't wind up being decriminalized. It's hard to escape the fact that it's smoked all over the place right now. Legalization is slightly different and would involve regulation, taxation, etc., and I don't see any of the major political parties being willing to make that a high (Haha!) priority right now. Down the road a few years, who knows.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:19 AM

4,811 posts, read 4,440,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I did too. I'm not a smoker. I have eaten weed, but never swallowed. LOL
lol

Old 10-17-2015, 10:00 AM

4,699 posts, read 8,492,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I think this is largely due to some of the more unfortunate things that go along with alcohol. Most people can handle alcohol, but for the few who can't, there's bar fights, house brawls, drunk driving, alcoholism (an ugly way to die). Although it's just a small minority who wind up dealing with those issues, anyone who wants to demonize alcohol can easily point to those problems as the reason to keep tight control over where and how it can be bought or consumed.

To the original post, I can't see why mj won't wind up being decriminalized. It's hard to escape the fact that it's smoked all over the place right now. Legalization is slightly different and would involve regulation, taxation, etc., and I don't see any of the major political parties being willing to make that a high (Haha!) priority right now. Down the road a few years, who knows.
But it is a Liberal party platform point and the NDP said they'd move to legalization as well. I don't see how it follows then that this wouldn't happen if they were elected.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:26 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,141,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
But it is a Liberal party platform point and the NDP said they'd move to legalization as well. I don't see how it follows then that this wouldn't happen if they were elected.
If these poll numbers hold up

Poll Tracker: Are the Liberals now eating into Conservative support? - Politics - CBC News

We are looking at a very minimum of a Liberal Minority Government... This is good news for the legalize it proponents.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:24 PM

61 posts, read 43,889 times
On October 19th, you can help decide if Marijuana will be legalized or not. Go out there and vote!

Old 10-17-2015, 01:20 PM

12,690 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Not sure what you are actually trying to say. Are you speaking about our liquor laws? Compared to whose? Certainly Europe seems to have looser laws.
The US is a patchwork of different laws depending on the state. Some states still have government liquor stores and some have some fairly restrictive laws including dry counties. Their drinking age is 21.
On that from we don't have dry counties in Canada, and drinking age is 18 or 19 depending where you are, so in that context which country is more " religious and bigot " ? ( SIC )

The temperance movement in both countries has had an effect on liquor laws I'll give you that, but to suggest that Canada is simply behind and everyone else ahead....nah. 40 years ago I would agree. In BC at least the liquor laws were absurd. Since then things have changed greatly. There is still room for improvement in my books, and there will be.

However there is no shortage of places to buy alcohol. Our government liquor stores are well stocked with a great selection. Open everyday except Christmas. Private wine shops and liquors stores are everywhere.

Access is not an issue. Price is. The taxes on alcohol do make it expensive here.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:51 PM

3,431 posts, read 3,049,264 times
Quote:
Not sure what you are actually trying to say. Are you speaking about our liquor laws? Compared to whose? Certainly Europe seems to have looser laws.
The US is a patchwork of different laws depending on the state. Some states still have government liquor stores and some have some fairly restrictive laws including dry counties. Their drinking age is 21.
On that from we don't have dry counties in Canada, and drinking age is 18 or 19 depending where you are, so in that context which country is more " religious and bigot " ? ( SIC )

The temperance movement in both countries has had an effect on liquor laws I'll give you that, but to suggest that Canada is simply behind and everyone else ahead....nah. 40 years ago I would agree. In BC at least the liquor laws were absurd. Since then things have changed greatly. There is still room for improvement in my books, and there will be.

However there is no shortage of places to buy alcohol. Our government liquor stores are well stocked with a great selection. Open everyday except Christmas. Private wine shops and liquors stores are everywhere.

Access is not an issue. Price is. The taxes on alcohol do make it expensive here.
Where I am, some bars are even open Christmas.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:00 PM

12,690 posts, read 8,756,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Where I am, some bars are even open Christmas.
Here too. I was talking about the government liquor stores. On Christmas Day you might see a few restaurants closed, but bars are open.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:06 PM

2,173 posts, read 1,752,834 times
Quote:
On that from we don't have dry counties in Canada....
Nitpick: there is at least one.

Cardston, in southwestern Alberta, is dry. No bars, licensed restaurants, or liquor stores. Most of the residents are Mormon, and the town is home to a Mormon temple, which explains it. There is nothing stopping anybody who wants to, however, from travelling to "wet" communities to buy alcohol and take it back home to Cardston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or