U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-23-2015, 12:28 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,167 posts, read 1,750,830 times
Reputation: 2630

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
It will soon be legalized in all of Canada.
Dream on.

A "legal marijuana" law wlll not be passed easily. The matter will likely go to a commission. Then, Canadians will be invited to make recommendations before the commission. Then the commission will make recommendations to Parliament. Not all Canadians' submissions will be in favour of marijuana, and their voices will be heard.

Assuming it's OK with Canadians, then decisions will be made as to how to tax it (tobacco and alcohol and gasoline are taxed, why not marijuana?) and laws will be passed to prevent home-grown stuff, so the federal and provincial governments get their share out of legally-grown and commercially-grown stuff. You cannot distill your own whisky; why should you be allowed to grow your own marijuana? Look for laws preventing home-grown stuff here. All in the name of "quality" and "keeping it out of the hands of children," of course.

Decisions will also be made as to how to sell it. Through government liquor stores (in Ontario)? Through private liquor stores (in Alberta)? At convenience stores? Person-to-person? We have to think of the children, after all. Your days of buying it tax-free from your Friendly Neighbourhood Dealer are over; you now have to buy it from the government, under controlled conditions, and pay federal and provincial excise tax.

Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-23-2015, 01:01 AM
 
873 posts, read 814,358 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Dream on.

A "legal marijuana" law wlll not be passed easily. The matter will likely go to a commission. Then, Canadians will be invited to make recommendations before the commission. Then the commission will make recommendations to Parliament. Not all Canadians' submissions will be in favour of marijuana, and their voices will be heard.

Assuming it's OK with Canadians, then decisions will be made as to how to tax it (tobacco and alcohol and gasoline are taxed, why not marijuana?) and laws will be passed to prevent home-grown stuff, so the federal and provincial governments get their share out of legally-grown and commercially-grown stuff. You cannot distill your own whisky; why should you be allowed to grow your own marijuana? Look for laws preventing home-grown stuff here. All in the name of "quality" and "keeping it out of the hands of children," of course.

Decisions will also be made as to how to sell it. Through government liquor stores (in Ontario)? Through private liquor stores (in Alberta)? At convenience stores? Person-to-person? We have to think of the children, after all. Your days of buying it tax-free from your Friendly Neighbourhood Dealer are over; you now have to buy it from the government, under controlled conditions, and pay federal and provincial excise tax.

Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.
You're kidding yourself. The process will be very simple relatively speaking. Trudeau said he will follow Colorado's model. These days, it's not a difficult process to legalize weed. Most people are in support on it and want to leagalize it and tax it. I predict by this time next year, pot will be legal and regulated in all of Canada.

Also what makes you think legalizing marijuana in Canada will be difficult when are more Conservative neighbours to the south have legalized it in two states and have a successful system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Alberta, Canada
2,167 posts, read 1,750,830 times
Reputation: 2630
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
You're kidding yourself. The process will be very simple relatively speaking. Trudeau said he will follow Colorado's model. These days, it's not a difficult process to legalize weed. Most people are in support on it and want to leagalize it and tax it. I predict by this time next year, pot will be legal and regulated in all of Canada.

Also what makes you think legalizing marijuana in Canada will be difficult when are more Conservative neighbours to the south have legalized it in two states and have a successful system?
You're kidding yourself. Many (not necessarily most) Canadians will fight this tooth and nail. Colorado law has no effect in Canada.

Maybe in ten or fifteen years. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year.

And learn to spell. "Leagalize" is an incorrect spelling, and just makes me dismiss you and your arguments as those of an uneducated person.

Maybe you're out of Doritos, and Mom's basement looks pretty bleak.

You have no argument. You are dismissed. Good-bye.

Last edited by ChevySpoons; 10-23-2015 at 01:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Reputation: 10292
Much like many things people hope for, you may get what you want, but you won't necessarily like the outcome.

I foresee much red tape, taxes, controlling access and doing everything possible to limit availability. People will have a meltdown the first time Jimmy comes home after having some Player's Extra Green, or DuMaurier Blunts and does something dumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Halifax, NS
225 posts, read 147,554 times
Reputation: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
You're kidding yourself. The process will be very simple relatively speaking. Trudeau said he will follow Colorado's model. These days, it's not a difficult process to legalize weed. Most people are in support on it and want to leagalize it and tax it. I predict by this time next year, pot will be legal and regulated in all of Canada.

Also what makes you think legalizing marijuana in Canada will be difficult when are more Conservative neighbours to the south have legalized it in two states and have a successful system?
No it will be a little harder for a country like Canada to legalize marijuana nationally. Canada is involved in a bunch of treaties with other countries where drug policy is in the agreements. Individual states in the US can do it but the US can't federally without consulting with said other countries. Canada would have to do the same.

TYT can explain it better than I can.

https://youtu.be/-e528ZY-l7U

Though Canada doing it can have a domino effect. We'll see.

I think legalizing pot can be a good thing. There are more serious crimes out there that law enforcement should be concentrating on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 11:01 AM
 
873 posts, read 814,358 times
Reputation: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You're kidding yourself. Many (not necessarily most) Canadians will fight this tooth and nail. Colorado law has no effect in Canada.

Maybe in ten or fifteen years. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year.

And learn to spell. "Leagalize" is an incorrect spelling, and just makes me dismiss you and your arguments as those of an uneducated person.

Maybe you're out of Doritos, and Mom's basement looks pretty bleak.

You have no argument. You are dismissed. Good-bye.
One typo because I was using my phone in the dark and you say "learn how to spell"? I have no argument? Where's your argument coming from? There is a lot of evidence that suggests legalization will occur very soon. You're saying weed will be legalized in 10 years which is very laughable. Also you're last two lines sound very childish, not a very good argument I must say.

No, Canadians won't fight it. Maybe you will, but the majority of Canadians want it legalized. That's one of the reasons the Liberals won a strong majority. Do you seriously think there are many Canadians who will fight the legalization of weed? People have not been fighting against marijuana legalization for the past 10 years, they have been fighting FOR legalization. The government were the only ones who were against it. I can't believe you would say Canadians will fight against the legalization when a strong majority want it legalized for a long time. It's very foolish to think that especially when Americans already have it legalized with very little fight and that's America, the country where you have to be 21 to drink and gay marriage only recently got legalized. You're thinking backwards. I think you have a very distorted vision of Canada as some ultra Conservative Anti-weed country. Canada is not like that. Are you sure that's just not what you are?

10 or 15 years??? That's VERY unrealistic. The law will be past within the next few months and we will see some weed shops open in the next few months as well. Do you realize Vancouver already has a marijuana shop and it's not even legalized yet? It already feels like it's legal in BC, if you get caught with weed most police officers leave you alone. I have no clue where your ideas are coming from... There are a very large amount of Canadians who smoke weed recreationally and Canadians have always been PRO legalization for a while now especially in BC. Are you against marijuana? Maybe that explains you're lack of an argument.

Last edited by GM10; 10-23-2015 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 12:01 PM
 
5,917 posts, read 2,287,324 times
Reputation: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
One typo because I was using my phone in the dark and you say "learn how to spell"? I have no argument? Where's your argument coming from? There is a lot of evidence that suggests legalization will occur very soon. You're saying weed will be legalized in 10 years which is very laughable. Also you're last two lines sound very childish, not a very good argument I must say.

No, Canadians won't fight it. Maybe you will, but the majority of Canadians want it legalized. That's one of the reasons the Liberals won a strong majority. Do you seriously think there are many Canadians who will fight the legalization of weed? People have not been fighting against marijuana legalization for the past 10 years, they have been fighting FOR legalization. The government were the only ones who were against it. I can't believe you would say Canadians will fight against the legalization when a strong majority want it legalized for a long time. It's very foolish to think that especially when Americans already have it legalized with very little fight and that's America, the country where you have to be 21 to drink and gay marriage only recently got legalized. You're thinking backwards. I think you have a very distorted vision of Canada as some ultra Conservative Anti-weed country. Canada is not like that. Are you sure that's just not what you are?

10 or 15 years??? That's VERY unrealistic. The law will be past within the next few months and we will see some weed shops open in the next few months as well. Do you realize Vancouver already has a marijuana shop and it's not even legalized yet? It already feels like it's legal in BC, if you get caught with weed most police officers leave you alone. I have no clue where your ideas are coming from... There are a very large amount of Canadians who smoke weed recreationally and Canadians have always been PRO legalization for a while now especially in BC. Are you against marijuana? Maybe that explains you're lack of an argument.

I think it will take more than a couple of months. Maybe the first or second year of this Parliament. I think the Federal government will work it out with the provinces first regardless if they need to or not, just to show that Trudeau is unlike Harper who ignored other levels of government. If they do not wish to work it though the provinces first and already have the knowledge of how to implement it quickly then they might just push it through early just to show that they are working on their promises. Either way I cannot see it not legal before the next election or even half way there. The Senate is the only stopping place for those opposed and not sure how much the Senate would want to pick that battle right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Hougary, Texberta
8,581 posts, read 11,070,781 times
Reputation: 10292
Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
see some weed shops open in the next few months as well. Do you realize Vancouver already has a marijuana shop and it's not even legalized yet? It already feels like it's legal in BC, if you get caught with weed most police officers leave you alone. I have no clue where your ideas are coming from... There are a very large amount of Canadians who smoke weed recreationally and Canadians have always been PRO legalization for a while now especially in BC. Are you against marijuana? Maybe that explains you're lack of an argument.
There is an ocean of difference between decriminalization or lack of enforcement and legalization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 02:24 PM
 
34,367 posts, read 41,455,107 times
Reputation: 29853
While Trudeau may want to legalize pot it comes with some rules and will probably be akin to purchasing hard liquor in retail sales =


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EjjJFvBU4A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-23-2015, 03:13 PM
 
3,431 posts, read 3,046,217 times
Reputation: 4133
Oh yes, it will be legalized. Just a question of when the formalities are done and when the paperwork gets signed. It was promised over and over and over again during the past couple of years, and during the election campaign. They'll be following through.

It will be regulated and it will probably be subject to Excise Tax once it's been legalized, just like tobacco products. It's not if, anymore, it's when.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top