Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 03:18 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,083 times

Advertisements

I don't think it will be available in corner stores at least not right away. I think there will be designated coffee shops like the system the Netherlands uses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 03:19 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,365,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
You're kidding yourself. Many (not necessarily most) Canadians will fight this tooth and nail. Colorado law has no effect in Canada.

Maybe in ten or fifteen years. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year.

And learn to spell. "Leagalize" is an incorrect spelling, and just makes me dismiss you and your arguments as those of an uneducated person.

Maybe you're out of Doritos, and Mom's basement looks pretty bleak.

You have no argument. You are dismissed. Good-bye.
I think you're overestimating the number of Canadians who will actively oppose marijuana legalization.

I smell "ganja" smoke all the time in Ottawa, ever since I moved here 15 years ago. At first, I was shocked that I could walk downtown on busy main streets and go by people smoking it openly. They'll stand at the bus stop and smoke it. No one bothers to ask them to put it out in this day and age.

There are lots of "head shops" around that sell the smoking paraphernalia. Those shops stay in business somehow, don't they?

All Summer long I smell it in the evenings. People just sit out and smoke it on their balconies and front porches. No different from someone else who might sit out on a nice Summer evening and have a beer. This is right in the centre of town, not out in the sticks.

Honestly, I personally couldn't care less. Go ahead and legalize it, regulate it and tax it just like alcohol and tobacco. It's a personal decision if someone wants to purchase it and smoke it.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM10 View Post
I don't think it will be available in corner stores at least not right away. I think there will be designated coffee shops like the system the Netherlands uses.
I haven't heard boo about how it would be regulated or sold. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if it was simply sold where alcohol's sold. They might allow it to be sold where tobacco's sold, but since that would include grocery stores and corners stores, where liquor's not even sold, that strikes me as a bit more like courting controversy. If they put it in liquor stores, where the clientele is always supposed to be 19+, then that wouldn't surprise me. I'm just making a very wild guess on this.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:33 PM

909 posts, read 1,153,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
I haven't heard boo about how it would be regulated or sold. It wouldn't surprise me, though, if it was simply sold where alcohol's sold. They might allow it to be sold where tobacco's sold, but since that would include grocery stores and corners stores, where liquor's not even sold, that strikes me as a bit more like courting controversy. If they put it in liquor stores, where the clientele is always supposed to be 19+, then that wouldn't surprise me. I'm just making a very wild guess on this.
Good point, that would make a lot of sense but the only problem is you can't smoke it in liquor stores. Due to the awful smell it would produce, I would rather pot be smoked in separate shops like they have in Amsterdam where you can sit and puff one out inside rather than on the public streets where it will always smell. But that's just me because I'm very sensitive to the smell.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Good point, that would make a lot of sense but the only problem is you can't smoke it in liquor stores. Due to the awful smell it would produce, I would rather pot be smoked in separate shops like they have in Amsterdam where you can sit and puff one out inside rather than on the public streets where it will always smell. But that's just me because I'm very sensitive to the smell.
Oh, I see what you mean--you're referring to where it would be legal to consume it?

That's an interesting question. Since tobacco smoking is banned in a lot of public places (bars, nightclubs, etc.) I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that marijuana smoking will be treated the same way under city bylaws (or any local bylaws). I doubt that you'd be allowed to smoke marijuana anywhere that tobacco smoking isn't permitted.

If tobacco smoking on a restaurant patio is permitted, though, I personally don't see why marijuana smoking shouldn't be permitted also. If other customers are sitting there smoking tobacco and drinking alcoholic beverages, I don't think marijuana smoking would be out of place.

If I'm in an indoor location that doesn't allow tobacco smoking, however, I certainly don't want to breathe in skunk smoke while I'm there either. That includes coffee shops, unless bylaws designated them as exempt from tobacco smoking regulations to begin with.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:15 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,903,185 times
Quote:
Dream on.

A "legal marijuana" law wlll not be passed easily. The matter will likely go to a commission. Then, Canadians will be invited to make recommendations before the commission. Then the commission will make recommendations to Parliament. Not all Canadians' submissions will be in favour of marijuana, and their voices will be heard.

Assuming it's OK with Canadians, then decisions will be made as to how to tax it (tobacco and alcohol and gasoline are taxed, why not marijuana?) and laws will be passed to prevent home-grown stuff, so the federal and provincial governments get their share out of legally-grown and commercially-grown stuff. You cannot distill your own whisky; why should you be allowed to grow your own marijuana? Look for laws preventing home-grown stuff here. All in the name of "quality" and "keeping it out of the hands of children," of course.

Decisions will also be made as to how to sell it. Through government liquor stores (in Ontario)? Through private liquor stores (in Alberta)? At convenience stores? Person-to-person? We have to think of the children, after all. Your days of buying it tax-free from your Friendly Neighbourhood Dealer are over; you now have to buy it from the government, under controlled conditions, and pay federal and provincial excise tax.

Be careful what you ask for. You just might get it.
This train has left the station, my friend. Pot will be entirely legal in Canada by the end of 2016.

Old 10-24-2015, 01:40 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Quote:
Due to the awful smell it would produce, I would rather pot be smoked in separate shops ...
Smoking indoors? Oh no. We cannot allow tobacco smoking indoors, why would they allow marijuana smoking indoors?

Old 10-24-2015, 01:41 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,408,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
This train has left the station, my friend. Pot will be entirely legal in Canada by the end of 2016.
Bull cookies. I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 10-24-2015, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Smoking indoors? Oh no. We cannot allow tobacco smoking indoors, why would they allow marijuana smoking indoors?
Provincial, territorial, and local tobacco smoking bylaws determine that. Not federal law.

There are mainly just a few places where tobacco smoking is banned--workplaces and public buildings including restaurants and bars. Smoking's permitted on restaurant patios in some provinces.

There are also a few places with tobacco smoking bans that extend to parks or beaches. Or near bus stops, and a few other miscellaneous, specific bans. But many locations still allow smoking in quite a few outdoor public areas.

People could still smoke at home--like they already do. Or on other private property where it's permitted.

Bylaws could be passed that would allow smoking parlours, like cigar rooms that exist in some places. Just a matter of public support. Again, though, that's a bylaw issue, not a federal one.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:17 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,871,222 times
https://ca.news.yahoo.com/trudeaus-p...235347677.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada