U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 11:33 AM

19 posts, read 21,159 times

Advertisements

it has been legalized in three states but not in Canada?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 12:17 PM

325 posts, read 295,034 times
Four states & Washington DC, but I get the drift. A lot of Americans would be surprised that Canada isn't the far left anything goes wonderland that we are portrayed as by FOX news and other outlets. We also have a different political system that is more top down than the US.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:46 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
it has been legalized in three states but not in Canada?
Probably. Two of the three major federal political parties (provinces do not have authority over criminal law unlike US states) have stated they will move to legalize it if elected, so I'd say it happening is pretty much inevitable.

Old 10-16-2015, 05:03 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
I say probably as well. In fact most likely. The impression one would get walking around Vancouver, is that it already is. With many " weed " shops.
The one near me is actually quite nice looking. It's been open for months and causes no issues in the neighbourhood. In fact I haven't heard anyone speak against it.

The police don't seem pursue people smoking it. I've seen cops walk right by and through a cloud of smoke and not bat an eye.

BIMBAM, it must be much the same in Kits?

Old 10-16-2015, 05:39 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
I thought weed would have been legal by now. I don't smoke but that might change if I could grow my own plants in peace.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:28 PM

12,670 posts, read 8,740,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
I thought weed would have been legal by now. I don't smoke but that might change if I could grow my own plants in peace.
I did too. I'm not a smoker. I have eaten weed, but never swallowed. LOL

Old 10-16-2015, 06:30 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I say probably as well. In fact most likely. The impression one would get walking around Vancouver, is that it already is. With many " weed " shops.
The one near me is actually quite nice looking. It's been open for months and causes no issues in the neighbourhood. In fact I haven't heard anyone speak against it.

The police don't seem pursue people smoking it. I've seen cops walk right by and through a cloud of smoke and not bat an eye.

BIMBAM, it must be much the same in Kits?
Yes, it's a VPD unofficial policy to not enforce, so it's not any different in any Vancouver neighbourhoods. I understand it to be a bit different in RCMP patrolled jurisdictions, however.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:32 PM

225 posts, read 147,527 times
I don't know if it could be done with a minority government. The Conservatives would filibuster the **** out of that.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:37 PM

1,945 posts, read 1,335,073 times
It's pretty much legal in B.C. You can't walk around Vancouver without sniffing bud, especially downtown. The police don't care.

Old 10-16-2015, 06:52 PM

5,878 posts, read 2,379,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Yes, it's a VPD unofficial policy to not enforce, so it's not any different in any Vancouver neighbourhoods. I understand it to be a bit different in RCMP patrolled jurisdictions, however.
I think it's a pretty well accepted practice across the board..but of course it all depends on the weight or volume found...

Having said this..It's not likely to get it legalized anytime soon..but a great starting point is to pass some law decriminalizing it first under a certain amount...then clarify those amounts and assign some sort of rules/laws to those that are SELLING....Again..It will take time..I don't smoke it either..but again..I'm not dealing with Cancer related symptoms that could very well require it!

All I can say is attitudes sure has changed since I was younger...possession back in my day would have caused loss of job and criminal charges...Again..I did try it..didn't like it one bit..I'm someone who must always be in control of my actions..and as a young person..didn't trust necessarily those around me..so abstained..and even would refuse drinks/fluids from anybody I did NOT know or trust..Things out of ones control..was back then a real threat...

Fast foreward to Bill Cosby's escapades exposures..Yike's He alone demonstrates why I felt the way I did back then!!

Marijuana usage as I witnessed ( as a non-participant) cracked me up!! LOL Everyone giggled..laughed and found humour everywhere!! I never once witnessed angry dangerous behaviours ever...unlike affects by alcohol..as lets face it..Alcohol for some exposed underlying angers..so my description was "Happy Drunks/Angry Drunks"...and I'm pretty certain many here could say the same!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or