U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 02:32 AM

4 posts, read 2,986 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am moving with my family of 4 (me, my wife, 1 child and 1 infant) to Saskatoon. I had a choice between Regina, Saskatoon, and Toronto but after doing home work I have chosen Saskatoon. Although I have relatives living in Regina and Toronto but still I choose Saskatoon.

Well I am new to the Country not only the city so I would like few pointers if any of you could provide for which I shall be grateful.

-which part of the city to rent? I'm looking for a Condo prefer 2 bedrooms but 1 bedroom would also do.

-I have a range of Canadian $800 to $900 a month with preferably utilities included (internet WiFi, TV cable and utility bills + council tax etc)

-I would prefer near a bus stop, close to all amenities and little away from the city centre as I know the rent goes up if you are closer to city centre and most importantly where "crime rate is less".

-is it possible, rather than going to a Motel or Hotel I could rent an apartment/condo and move straight into it after landing at Saskatoon airport? I mean I can pay the rent of 3 months or 6 months (i hear with no credit history or references you would have to pay 3 to 6 months in advance) on arrival. I can provide references but based in from Toronto.

-which make of reliable car to buy? I am looking for a 2nd hand car with a budget between CAD $5000 to $6500. Bearing in mind the insurance and parts cost if needed replacement. I am told GMC or GM cars are good and cheap to maintain and plus insurance wise as well. I have experienced Toyota, Honda, Mercedes and Peugeot.

-should i choose a dealership or Kijiji website etc? how to check for lost or stolen or any history + if the taxes are paid or is registered in Saskatoon or not.

-I have choice to travel between November till March. Although it can change to anytime in November. Would it be wise to move in winter as that's what I am concerned about.

These are but a few questions that I would need help with most. Any other suggestions, beside the above, be truly appreciated. I know I have to get registered with SIN card is it? and health card? and buy a travel card? until I buy my own car. Oh I shall be travelling with International Driving License. Been used to driving on the right hand side and you have left hand side.

I belong from Pakistan and am travelling on Canadian Immigration Visa just so you know. Well your suggestions and comments would be welcomed.

Regards,

Brufen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 05:33 PM

5,913 posts, read 2,284,889 times
Peugeots have not been available in Canada for decades. At your price range you should be able to find a good used car. Only visited Saskatoon so cannot help you with the rest.

Old 10-20-2015, 04:59 AM

4 posts, read 2,986 times
Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Peugeots have not been available in Canada for decades. At your price range you should be able to find a good used car. Only visited Saskatoon so cannot help you with the rest.

thanks mate for the reply
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada