U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 09:32 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,486,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Unlikely. The Tories would do well to put an Ontarian in as leader.

Why? Because one of the things that bugged the Laurentian Elites during the past ten years was that Prime Minister Harper was not one of them, and did not listen to them. An Ontarian or Quebecer works, a Westerner does not. Harper came from Alberta, but I have no doubt that the Ontario/Quebec Laurentian Elite intelligentsia would also hate and work against a PM candidate from Newfoundland, BC, or Manitoba.

Where have our Prime Ministers come from in the modern era? Let's see:

Justin Trudeau (L): Quebec
Stephen Harper (Con): Alberta
Paul Martin (L): Quebec
Jean Chretien (L): Quebec
Kim Campbell (PC): British Columbia (never elected, only held office just over 4 months)
Brian Mulroney (PC): Quebec
John Turner (L): (never elected, in power 2.5 months, never sat in Parliament)
Pierre Trudeau (L): Quebec
Joe Clark (PC): Alberta (in power 9 months)
Pierre Trudeau (L): Quebec
Lester Pearson (L): Ontario
John Diefenbaker (PC): Saskatchewan
Small point, but Paul Martin is actually from Windsor Ontario and educated in Toronto. He did represent a Montreal riding later in life but is absolutely an ROC Francophone of Metis and Irish descent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:38 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Small point, but Paul Martin is actually from Windsor Ontario and educated in Toronto. He did represent a Montreal riding later in life but is absolutely an ROC Francophone of Metis and Irish descent.
You're right. Also Stephen Harper the Albertan was born and raised in Toronto. He moved to Calgary as a young adult I believe.

And John Turner was kinda Ontario, kinda BC and even a little bit Quebec...

Old 10-21-2015, 10:00 AM

225 posts, read 147,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've been following politics since I was a kid, and I'd say that in my lifetime, the only PM from Quebec who might have overtly favoured Quebec was Brian Mulroney.

Neither Pierre Elliot Trudeau nor Jean Chrétien can be said to have pandered and poo-pooed to Quebec. In fact, their actions more often than not were diametrically opposed to the wishes of the Quebec governments of the day (regardless of whether they were PQ or Liberal* BTW). Yes, they did do stuff in Quebec - it's normal, it's second biggest province in the country - but to say that were the lap dogs of the provincial government in Quebec City is patently false.

Overall, I don't think you can say that having sons of Quebec Trudeau Sr. and Chrétien in power in Ottawa really was a positive thing for Quebec.

Mulroney of course is another story.

And I say this is a person who is the furthest thing from a Tory.

*Which is the source of the long-standing schism between the federal and Quebec Liberals. They are two different organizations with very few linkages between them. It's not unusual for the Quebec Liberal party brass to back a party other than the Ottawa Liberals in federal elections.
To folks over in Alberta not kissing their asses is pandering to Quebec. Western victimhood is a myth.

I was yelling at my ex till 5 am he moved to Alberta to work in the Tar Sands (we months on 3 months off, he came to NS to visit me) and drank that Reform Kool-Aid. He won't even acknowledge he's from Nova Scotia anymore he believes in the supremacy of Alberta.

Yes, this election has ended at least one relationship.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:06 AM

283 posts, read 184,535 times
Quote:
A more accurate comparison would be if those 6 presidents all came from the South.
The US has had a large number of presidential *candidates* recently from Massachusetts.... who have all lost, lol.

Romney
Kerry
Dukakis

Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvinerenter View Post
Man your election was just like the US 2008 election, where Harper is Canada's Bush and Trudeau is Canada's Obama. Young liberal candidate replaces older conservative candidate in landslide victory.
Pretty much. Trudeau ran on hope and change too.

I think that's a calculated style on the part of both Obama and Trudeau.

Bush and Harper = fear
Obama and Trudeau = hope

When I got promoted to management at my old job, I had to take a management course on managing workers of different generations. The course said to use fear (remind them in subtle ways the economy is bad and they could get canned) to motivate Baby Boomers to get the best work out of them and messages of hope and you can drive change kind of messages (think Trudeau saying "it's not up to Harper to save the economy, it's up to you!") to get the best work out of Gen X and Millennials. So, those messages for different age groups to the polls in their favour.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:12 AM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Western victimhood is a myth.
You strip several billion dollars from a province's economy in order to give it to someone else in the name of prosperity, and it builds a little resentment. (I'm speaking about the NEP, not equalization)

I know being in Nova Scotia it's tough to relate, but it would be like after you got all that beer with your EI cheque and Charlie coming over drinking all your Keith's and then taking away the empties so he can get the deposit back.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You strip several billion dollars from a province's economy in order to give it to someone else in the name of prosperity, and it builds a little resentment. (I'm speaking about the NEP, not equalization)

I know being in Nova Scotia it's tough to relate, but it would be like after you got all that beer with your EI cheque and Charlie coming over drinking all your Keith's and then taking away the empties so he can get the deposit back.
LMAO hilarious you assume I drink and I'm on EI it's your first attack. I do a job you probably don't have the brainpower to do. I work for a company that has 6 employees who were Nobel Prize laureates. They did not open no office in Alberta lmao.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM

9,522 posts, read 9,405,124 times
Quote:
And John Turner was kinda Ontario, kinda BC and even a little bit Quebec...
And a lil' bit British.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:21 AM

8,576 posts, read 11,067,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
LMAO hilarious you assume I drink and I'm on EI it's your first attack. I do a job you probably don't have the brainpower to do.
First of all it's firmly tongue in cheek, as I know from your previous posts you're in management. Secondly;

You know nothing about me so you can stick your commentary about me where your head seems to be firmly planted.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:22 AM

9,522 posts, read 9,405,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
I thought he grew up speaking English.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada