U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 09:49 PM

16,002 posts, read 6,305,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Just because I'm curious, Liberal supporters: When will the Liberal Party of Canada have a leader who does not come from Ontario or Quebec? Surely, there must be Newfoundlanders, or Nova Scotians, or Manitobans, or BCers who quallify. Why don't they run? Could it be that the Laurentian Elites won't let them?
John Napier Turner was from BC. He was a party leader for the 1988 election if I recall correctly. I also believe he took a seat in Parliament subsequent to his appointment as PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Heh. (Quoting news coverage of Nixon's visit to Trudeau the Smarter. Even as a baby, great things were expected of Justin Trudeau, who has just been elected Canada’s prime minister, ending a decade of conservative rule.

Richard Nixon predicted Trudeau’s rise to high office in 1972 during a state visit to Ottawa, when the winner of Canada’s 2015 federal election was just four months old.

“Tonight we’ll dispense with the formalities. I’d like to toast the future prime minister of Canada, to Justin Pierre Trudeau,” said Nixon, who may have just been buttering up Trudeau’s father.

Justin Trudeau anointed by Richard Nixon - at four months old | World news | The Guardian
I would hope to have a more honorable mentor than Nixon. He was a disgusting human being and the only President to resign. In his case it was tantamount to removal since that was inevitable. As Trudeau the Smarter said about Nixon, when responding to rumors that Nixon called him an "a$$hole" or words to that effect: "I've been called worse things by better people."

Old 10-21-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
He certainly won't be among the greatest PM's, but he's nowhere near the bottom either.
I actually think he was among the greatest PM's, maybe after Macdonald.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Brian Mulroney was very keen on making Quebec and enthusiastic partner in Canada in order to slay the separatist dragon once and for all. So his focus was very much on his home province. This does not mean things were as bad as his detractors say it was, but in all of the accusations about the Canadian federal governments (and the PMs that led them) being solely focused on Quebec, he would be the one who'd "fit" with that the most.
I am reading On the Take right now. I think a lot of money was made on Quebec graft.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:01 AM

21,962 posts, read 27,422,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I am reading On the Take right now. I think a lot of money was made on Quebec graft.
Sure, but the Mulroney era corruption wasn't even close to being all about Quebec.

If anything, the Chrétien-era sponsorship scandal was even more Quebec-centric, even though it mostly involved the Liberal party cronies there and wasn't at the behest of Quebec, Quebecers in general or their provincial government.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:08 AM

The ironic thing is that while Liberal PMs from Quebec like Trudeau Sr. and Chrétien were perceived as being ''for Quebec'' in the rest of the country, within the province they were not generally well liked because they approached the province's needs in a very egocentric, personal way. Basically it was ''I am PM of Canada, I am from and I know what's best for Quebec. You guys (e.g. the majority of Quebecers and their provincial government) should just shut the f- up".

Mulroney, for all his faults, actually went to the trouble of listening to what the people of Quebec and its elected representatives in Quebec City were saying to him.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:04 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,037,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
I was yelling at my ex till 5 am he moved to Alberta to work in the Tar Sands (we months on 3 months off, he came to NS to visit me) and drank that Reform Kool-Aid. He won't even acknowledge he's from Nova Scotia anymore he believes in the supremacy of Alberta.
You sound like a hoot. Objectivity is no doubt your strong suit.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:06 AM

8,607 posts, read 11,109,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

Ricky has a bit of a chip on his shoulder...

Old 10-22-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclock View Post

I think her story is definitely believable.

I mean, who hasn't known migrants who've left home for greener pastures and who come back after having seen the light over there to constantly spit on their former homes, with all of the worst rhetoric and condescending attitudes of their newfound home?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:24 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,037,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I think her story is definitely believable.

I mean, who hasn't known migrants who've left home for greener pastures and who come back after having seen the light over there to constantly spit on their former homes, with all of the worst rhetoric and condescending attitudes of their newfound home?
She comes across as being one of those shrill left-leaning types who is convinced of her own superiority and it would appear that she dislikes the people and the industries who have been paying the bills for much of Canada over the last decade or more. His victory is only going to embolden her type. Yippee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada