U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 07:23 AM

21,937 posts, read 27,332,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migratory Chicken View Post
Although interestingly, in Claude Cardinal's recent book Une histoire du RIN, it's mentioned that Trudeau was present at the inauguration of the Rassemblement pour l'indépendance nationale (RIN)'s first permanent office, on January 19th, 1962. He was invited and he actually did come. I really enjoyed the book, it was full of interesting and often surprising facts.
PET dabbled in many things when he was younger, including flirtations with Nazism. Which was actually quite common for young French Canadian intellectuals in the WW2 era, under a dubious "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic. I suppose it can be said that, at least initially, they may have not been fully aware of just how bad the Nazis were. Jean-Louis Roux, who later became a very adamant and borderline fundamentalist Québécois Canadian federalist, also flirted with Nazism in his youth, also because they were fighting the British empire that oppressed French Canadians (we can suppose).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 09:10 AM

225 posts, read 147,527 times
Only Francophone Quebecers hate Harper?

Really, I don't think anything united Canadians more. Anglophone, Francophone, Quebecois, from outside of Quebec, black, white, Aboriginal, city dweller, country dweller, gay, straight, Transgender, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, non-denominational, gun owner, against guns, Habs fan, Leafs fan.. united in hating Harper.

Not exactly John Lennon's dream of all the people living life in peace, more like, all the people screaming "F**k this guy!" :lol:

Old 10-26-2015, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
PET dabbled in many things when he was younger, including flirtations with Nazism. Which was actually quite common for young French Canadian intellectuals in the WW2 era, under a dubious "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" logic. I suppose it can be said that, at least initially, they may have not been fully aware of just how bad the Nazis were. Jean-Louis Roux, who later became a very adamant and borderline fundamentalist Québécois Canadian federalist, also flirted with Nazism in his youth, also because they were fighting the British empire that oppressed French Canadians (we can suppose).
Wow I did not know that!

Old 10-26-2015, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Only Francophone Quebecers hate Harper?

Really, I don't think anything united Canadians more. Anglophone, Francophone, Quebecois, from outside of Quebec, black, white, Aboriginal, city dweller, country dweller, gay, straight, Transgender, Muslim, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, non-denominational, gun owner, against guns, Habs fan, Leafs fan.. united in hating Harper.

Not exactly John Lennon's dream of all the people living life in peace, more like, all the people screaming "F**k this guy!" :lol:
No, it's not just Quebecers. But his score in Quebec was lower than in every other province except NL.

Also, across Canada 5.5 million people voted for the Conservatives. And 6.8 million voted Liberal.

So it's not even close to being true that everyone in Canada hates/d Harper.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:26 AM

5,913 posts, read 2,284,889 times
Quote:
No, it's not just Quebecers. But his score in Quebec was lower than in every other province except NL.

Also, across Canada 5.5 million people voted for the Conservatives. And 6.8 million voted Liberal.

That is assuming that the people who voted NDP, Green or the Bloc did not hate Harper, that all the people who voted Liberal did hate Harper and that none of those who voted Conservative did not hate him. Almost 70% voted for someone other than Harper and the Conservatives. I think the pollings of how people viewed Harper would be a more accurate measurement of what people thought of Harper than the election results. I do not think that 60% of Canadians hated Trudea or that 30% hated all the leaders.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
That is assuming that the people who voted NDP, Green or the Bloc did not hate Harper, that all the people who voted Liberal did hate Harper and that none of those who voted Conservative did not hate him. Almost 70% voted for someone other than Harper and the Conservatives. I think the pollings of how people viewed Harper would be a more accurate measurement of what people thought of Harper than the election results. I do not think that 60% of Canadians hated Trudea or that 30% hated all the leaders.
I did not vote Conservative but I don't really hate Harper. He's just not who I want as PM.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Most people I know who voted Con hated Harper. But they just couldn't stomach voting anything else.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:14 PM

As an anglo-influenced bilingual French Canadian kid growing up on the outer fringes of Canada's bilingual belt, I idolized Pierre Trudeau in my youth.

When I got older and started to study politics a lot the shine started to come off.

He was brilliant for sure but more of a dilettante than someone who loved as Canada passionately as many people think he did.

He defended Canada (the federal state) passionately for sure but I think it was mostly because it was his chosen ''theatre of operations" and he needed it to survive as a public figure (both present and future).

Much like Sidney Crosby loves the NHL because that's where he plays hockey.

Sorry if that sounds cynical. I have other examples of why I think Trudeau was like this.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:38 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,485,551 times
Quote:
As an anglo-influenced bilingual French Canadian kid growing up on the outer fringes of Canada's bilingual belt, I idolized Pierre Trudeau in my youth.

When I got older and started to study politics a lot the shine started to come off.

He was brilliant for sure but more of a dilettante than someone who loved as Canada passionately as many people think he did.

He defended Canada (the federal state) passionately for sure but I think it was mostly because it was his chosen ''theatre of operations" and he needed it to survive as a public figure (both present and future).

Much like Sidney Crosby loves the NHL because that's where he plays hockey.

Sorry if that sounds cynical. I have other examples of why I think Trudeau was like this.
Well, be that as it may, he acted as the avatar of a federalist idea, of millions of Canadians who perhaps did more genuinely love Canada, so I can see why he is celebrated by such people for helping them achieve many goals they agreed with. Moreover, he has passed on, and I feel the same criticism cannot be leveled against Trudeau the Younger. Say what you will about Justin Trudeau, I feel he genuinely does love Canada and Canadians, it's palpable and I think quite clearly genuine. I am encouraged by this, I think it's important and I trust those motivations better than I would ones more like Pierre's (as you describe them).

Old 10-26-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Well, be that as it may, he acted as the avatar of a federalist idea, of millions of Canadians who perhaps did more genuinely love Canada, so I can see why he is celebrated by such people for helping them achieve many goals they agreed with. Moreover, he has passed on, and I feel the same criticism cannot be leveled against Trudeau the Younger. Say what you will about Justin Trudeau, I feel he genuinely does love Canada and Canadians, it's palpable and I think quite clearly genuine. I am encouraged by this, I think it's important and I trust those motivations better than I would ones more like Pierre's (as you describe them).
I tend to agree with your (initial) assessment of Justin, though obviously time will tell. He does appear to love Canada and especially the Canadian people, the way they are fundamentally, than his father did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada