U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 08:12 AM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt call it a small win, a party more than doubling its existing seat count is what i'd call a huge win and shows that separatism in Quebec is alive ,well and growing.
Well, the Bloc actually got fewer total votes and a lower percentage of the vote than in 2011 when they got four seats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM

4,348 posts, read 7,429,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Yup. Won't mind looking at him for the next four years, either.

I don't know what his mother looked like, he must look like her though, cos his father looked like Smeagol off Lord of the Rings.
His mother was very pretty, hence someone with the power and clout of Pierre Trudeau marrying someone thirty years his junior. Sadly, the marriage went off the rails shortly after she gave birth to their three sons and she became kind of a fixture with the Mick Jagger/Andy Warhol/Studio 54 crowd of the late '70s.

Never marry a man old enough to (almost) be your grandfather.

Old 10-20-2015, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I think you need some prospective here. 'More than doubling its existing seat count' sounds impressive...............until you realise that the Bloc are still crawling out from the black hole they fell in from the 2011 election where they won only 4 SEATS and in this election won only 10 seats, still not enough for even official party status and their leader Duceppe losing in his riding. That's a far cry from where they were in the 2004 election where they ended up with 54 seats!

And don't forget last year when the PQ also got crushed in the provincial elections. So why the separatism movement will always live on in Quebec, its pretty damn dead right now and will be for a very long while yet.
I suspect the Bloc will taking a good number of the 15 Quebec NDP MPs out to lunch over the next little while in order to try and get at least two to cross over to clinch that party status.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:25 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,541,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
The NDP got slaughtered for the same reason the Liberals won. Quebec. The wholesale change from the NDP to Liberal red turned the tide.

Canada is back to my youth. Toronto and Quebec dictating what's best for the rest of Canada. I wish Trudeau 2.0 the best of luck, and I hope they find a way to monetize unicorn tears and rainbow farts, so that when they're done decimating Canada's actual economy they have a way to pay off all that debt.
Money and the ethnic vote? Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, did Harper panic at the end or what was with all the crazy stuff like second class citizens and niqabs, etc? You mention Quebec but Harper seemed to be a panicked man pandering to Quebec or the lowest common denominator. Or did he mistake that most westerners, when asked about face coverings, will say they aren't in favour of it, which is different from actually caring about it?

I wonder how many votes his 'old stock' attitude cost him.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Money and the ethnic vote? Sorry, couldn't resist. But seriously, did Harper panic at the end or what was with all the crazy stuff like second class citizens and niqabs, etc? You mention Quebec but Harper seemed to be a panicked man pandering to Quebec or the lowest common denominator. Or did he mistake that most westerners, when asked about face coverings, will say they aren't in favour of it, which is different from actually caring about it?

Note that the top two parties in Quebec yesterday were, for lack of a better term, "pro-niqab".

Old 10-20-2015, 09:30 AM

5,692 posts, read 6,541,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Note that the top two parties in Quebec yesterday were, for lack of a better term, "pro-niqab".
I know, but did Harper think it would be different?

Old 10-20-2015, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I know, but did Harper think it would be different?
I honestly don't know what he was thinking.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM

8,597 posts, read 11,085,198 times
Quote:

Not sure. I've been sidelined. a) I'm a disenfranchised ex-pat and b) I live in Texas where I struggle to find news beyond the confines of my city, never mind what's going on in America's Hat. We won't even talk about the clown-show that is Texas politics. Anyone who thinks Harper is a facist, right wing goon, he hasn't even made the JV compared to the morons here.

I think Harper was done. There was no reason to fight any more. All his battles were won, and it was holding onto power for the sake of holding on. He had navigated through the worst economic downturn in a generation, and hyperbole aside, has left the country in a good place.

I honestly like some of Trudeau's ideas, like killing the F-35 for something more appropriate and spending the excess on an expanded surface fleet. I think there is going to be a bit of a letdown to a chunk of his base, as governing is completely different than complaining about those governing. Once the high wears off, pun intended, some of the most fervent supporters are going to notice a party that has to make some tough choices. No matter how you cut it, Canada is a global exporter of raw materials, and those are primarily petroleum and wood. You can think that they'll cut oilsands and roll out a regressive carbon tax, but reality is that will destroy the only things that are still making money.

I think Notley was already on thin ice in Alberta, and with the Liberal majority you can all but guarantee that novelty is done come next election, as Albertans will move to a government that will protect their best interests, and areas of provincial control.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:38 AM

15,933 posts, read 6,271,820 times
Default Here's my "post mortem" on Canada's election from SOTB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt call it a small win, a party more than doubling its existing seat count is what i'd call a huge win and shows that separatism in Quebec is alive ,well and growing.
As for the free pot? i'd imagine if it ever did become legal it would be a long way from free..
It was a thumping but not quite a 1993-style blowout.

Here's my "post mortem" on Canada's election from SOTB. Every country is entitled to its mistakes. We made it twice with Obama.

That being said, elections to third or especially fourth terms (in our country) or mandates (in your country) are rare. Even Trudeau the Smarter was defeated by the totally inadequate Joke Lark and it took a few months of his flub-a-dub for Trudeau to get back in. Even then he didn’t try again. He went for his famous “walk in the snow” and let John Napier Turner face the carnage.

Another more important point; conservatives, whether Republicans in the U.S. or Conservatives (or their predecessor the PCPC in Canada) don’t do well in arranging for an ideological future. While there were plenty of Liberals such as Chretien and Martin, fully prepared by Trudeau the Smarter, waiting to pounce when Mulroney built and then destroyed his party, Mulroney and Harper prepared nobody (Campbell doesn’t count). Reagan left behind GWHB, a RINO (Republican in Name Only). Giuliani as New York Mayor and Pataki as New York Governor left behind no ideological successors. We have to do better in having greater depth. Harper was a one man band, and when people grew tired of him there was nowhere to go.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It was a thumping but not quite a 1993-style blowout.

Here's my "post mortem" on Canada's election from SOTB. Every country is entitled to its mistakes. We made it twice with Obama.

That being said, elections to third or especially fourth terms (in our country) or mandates (in your country) are rare. Even Trudeau the Smarter was defeated by the totally inadequate Joke Lark and it took a few months of his flub-a-dub for Trudeau to get back in. Even then he didn’t try again. He went for his famous “walk in the snow” and let John Napier Turner face the carnage.

Another more important point; conservatives, whether Republicans in the U.S. or Conservatives (or their predecessor the PCPC in Canada) don’t do well in arranging for an ideological future. While there were plenty of Liberals such as Chretien and Martin, fully prepared by Trudeau the Smarter, waiting to pounce when Mulroney built and then destroyed his party, Mulroney and Harper prepared nobody (Campbell doesn’t count). Reagan left behind GWHB, a RINO (Republican in Name Only). Giuliani as New York Mayor and Pataki as New York Governor left behind no ideological successors. We have to do better in having greater depth. Harper was a one man band, and when people grew tired of him there was nowhere to go.
I'd say Jason Kenney is a pretty interesting potential successor to Stephen Harper for the Conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada