Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 04:14 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,292,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBeauchamp View Post
I dont think you understand. The Bloc did better than anticipated. Unfortunately this election is a small win for separatists. But thats ok cause we'll get free marijuana right?
I wouldnt call it a small win, a party more than doubling its existing seat count is what i'd call a huge win and shows that separatism in Quebec is alive ,well and growing.
As for the free pot? i'd imagine if it ever did become legal it would be a long way from free..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 05:15 AM

1,300 posts, read 1,042,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I wouldnt call it a small win, a party more than doubling its existing seat count is what i'd call a huge win and shows that separatism in Quebec is alive ,well and growing. As for the free pot? i'd imagine if it ever did become legal it would be a long way from free..
I think you need some prospective here. 'More than doubling its existing seat count' sounds impressive...............until you realise that the Bloc are still crawling out from the black hole they fell in from the 2011 election where they won only 4 SEATS and in this election won only 10 seats, still not enough for even official party status and their leader Duceppe losing in his riding. That's a far cry from where they were in the 2004 election where they ended up with 54 seats!

And don't forget last year when the PQ also got crushed in the provincial elections. So why the separatism movement will always live on in Quebec, its pretty damn dead right now and will be for a very long while yet.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:31 AM

225 posts, read 203,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Wow that Trudeau guy is hot OMG.
Yup. Won't mind looking at him for the next four years, either.

I don't know what his mother looked like, he must look like her though, cos his father looked like Smeagol off Lord of the Rings.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:39 AM

225 posts, read 203,073 times
Peter MacKay, who was formerly high up in the Conservative Party, but stepped down suddenly, did an interesting interview on CBC Halifax this morning.

I always thought something didn't add up with him stepping down so quickly, I figured he was either jumping from a sinking ship, or he had a falling out with Stephen Harper. He had Prime Minister ambitions and lost to Stephen Harper for CPC leadership back in the day.

He pretty much said what I was thinking (and alluded to in my earlier post in this thread): The CPC has to drop the politics of Western alienation and stop ignoring the progressive elements in the party.

I grew up in MacKay's riding, people there curse a lot, and the guy was probably gagged by Harper. I'm sure he couldn't say what he really wants to say on CBC because it would sound like a heart monitor flatlining. He built the CPC and Stephen Harper destroyed it and alienated its Atlantic Canadian base. Atlantic Canada sent a very strong "**** you" last night, even MacKay's old riding, Conservative for a century almost, went Liberal.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:50 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
Congratulations, Canada, on your new Prime Minister, Justin Trudeau!

Do my eyes deceive me, or does he look a lot like Patrice Brisebois? In any case....yum.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:02 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
C'mon Bru.. Let's give the guy a chance and not underestimate him.. Clearly Canadians were not happy with the direction Mr Harper was taking our country. Mulcair and Harper underestimated him too so lets start the critique after due time. In the meantime we have a new PM so lets celebrate new beginnings
Whoa nelly!

I've witnessed a couple of real doozy political trouncings in my lifetime ... but this one ...whoooeeee.

Being a fiscal conservative; I'm struggling with my morning coffee but dear wife and I have come to the conclusion through tactful and considerate discussion that if this were to happen we're both glad it's a majority and not some minority recipe for disaster with too many cooks all throwing some rosemary and thyme with a dollop of coriander into every pot.

I dearly wish Harper had allowed a leadership convention earlier on. His style of micro-managing and alienating the press was bound to lead to many giving him smack in the ear as payback. I'm also no fan of Peter MacKay so would probably have been disappointed in any case.

I respected the elder Trudeau and was one of those who were entranced by him in 68 so this will be like another MGB and cheesecutter cap moment for me.

Being Canadian; our household was already giving young master Justin respect and admiration for having waged a Marquis-de-Queensbury campaign bereft of that early crap that the conservatives resorted to straight out of the box.

We even mentioned to each other in our household; after watching those three talking heads arriving at the conclusion "he's just not ready" ...."crap; do we sound like that"?

He should also be afforded our respect and support to drive this freighter off of the shoals of an oil based economy run aground.

Bon chance monsieur; Trudeau, bon chance.

Old 10-20-2015, 06:09 AM

8 posts, read 20,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Sterling View Post
I think you need some prospective here. 'More than doubling its existing seat count' sounds impressive...............until you realise that the Bloc are still crawling out from the black hole they fell in from the 2011 election where they won only 4 SEATS and in this election won only 10 seats, still not enough for even official party status and their leader Duceppe losing in his riding. That's a far cry from where they were in the 2004 election where they ended up with 54 seats!

And don't forget last year when the PQ also got crushed in the provincial elections. So why the separatism movement will always live on in Quebec, its pretty damn dead right now and will be for a very long while yet.
If I had 10 dollars in my life savings and all of a suddenfound another 10 dollars it wold be a huge gain to my bank accountil even though it's only 10 dollars... I honestly dont believe anyone in the party truly feels it was a win... 12 seats ... maybe but at the end of the day... what did the "really" gain?

Old 10-20-2015, 07:14 AM

757 posts, read 1,024,668 times
A new era begins.

I've witnessed two impressive come-backs: Blue Jays' Game 3 win and Liberals from third place in politics to forming the majority government. How exciting.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:22 AM

126,272 posts, read 19,041,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Crusoe View Post
A new era begins.

I've witnessed two impressive come-backs: Blue Jays' Game 3 win and Liberals from third place in politics to forming the majority government. How exciting.
Well stated. Lets hope Justin Trudeau stays focused and fulfills some of the promises and he just may be the one to bring a better future for us all.
For the Blue Jays lets hope they win!

Old 10-20-2015, 08:05 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,287,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I think the NDP's poor showing is due to people voting strategically. I was thinking a minority Conservative government was possible until my mother talked about how awful Harper was. And she said she didn't want a crippled minority government and another election in a year or two. And therefore her vote went to the Liberals. If my parents are voting Liberal, then a majority Liberal government was possible.
The NDP got slaughtered for the same reason the Liberals won. Quebec. The wholesale change from the NDP to Liberal red turned the tide.

Canada is back to my youth. Toronto and Quebec dictating what's best for the rest of Canada. I wish Trudeau 2.0 the best of luck, and I hope they find a way to monetize unicorn tears and rainbow farts, so that when they're done decimating Canada's actual economy they have a way to pay off all that debt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada