U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2015, 10:52 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
8,803 posts, read 7,579,759 times
Reputation: 4501

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Well there's this thing called City-Data. On it, they have a forum where people can discuss things. They have a discussion by creating "threads". The threads are generally organized by geography and in some cases interests. Well on one of the threads, called "Question of Canadian Politics" I made my point.

Here's the link; Question of Canadian politics

Now, if you read that, you'll see where the point was made, and where there has been some interesting discussion.

Now I know you're a Hokie, so I typed that really slow so you could keep up.
I've concluded that Canadian Conservatives are yet still further to the right of US liberals. Interesting how we came up with different conclusions.

These are things I found in the Conservative Party's policy declaration and, on a limited basis, what they actually enacted showing they are to the right of US liberals

-cut back on environmental regulations
-balance a federal budget
-support an unelected head of state
-pay down debt
-reduce capital gains taxes
-lower business taxes
-income tax code simplification
-stable and predictable monetary policy
-switching pensions to defined contribution models consistent with the private sector
-relaxation of foreign ownership of Canadian enterprises
-"mandatory union membership and forced financial contributions as a condition
of employment limit the economic freedom of Canadians and stifle economic growth."

-continuing exploration of fossil fuels and support of nuclear energy
-promotion of exploring and extracting off-shore energy resources
-NO support for legalized euthanasia or assisted suicide at the federal level.
-"We support legislation defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman."

Anyway I'm getting tired
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2015, 12:18 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There were rumours about James Moore as well but then he got married (to a woman) and had a child.

As for Baird, he was asked by a reporter if he was gay and his answer was: "Yeah. So what? Next question!"
Do you have a link for that? I hadn't heard that one before. It is true though, the he didn't hide it in public.
He was seen many times at gay bars in Toronto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 12:38 PM
 
Location: Vancouver
12,685 posts, read 8,747,108 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've heard that meme a million times but I can't say I agree. Obviously both men's hands were partly tied by their countries' respective historical legacies, but does one really think that if Canada didn't already have socialized medicine, that Stephen Harper would have rammed through something like Obamacare?

Really?
Exactly and let us not forget equal marriage. Obama support both healthcare reform and equal marriage ( not a first but did change his tune on marriage ).

Harper would NEVER support starting up Universal Healthcare or equal marriage. His whole mantra was less government and a dislike for government institutions that got in his way. Hence the 2 contempt of Parliament charges.

The argument may have had more weight back in the days of the Progressive Conservatives, but not today with the Reformers/Conservatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 12:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,518 posts, read 7,459,650 times
Reputation: 10922
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think calling a Canadian conservative an American liberal is pushing it a bit. Canada's Conservatives are center-right, the US GOP is right-wing, and then there is the far right which wouldn't gain power in either of our countries.

I agree with this. Here in the US a Canadian conservative would likely be a solid moderate or as you say a center right. A Liberal here would be a liberal up there. That new PM yall have may be 43 but he looks younger than that. He will have that Kennedy effect for Canada, people always like youthful looks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,879 posts, read 2,380,562 times
Reputation: 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
No they didn't. A Canadian conservative is an American liberal. Healthcare has been always free in Canada and abortion has had no restrictions ever. Full term abortions are done in every Canadian hospital daily without any "government" interference. Homosexuals are free to marry and be who they are. Stephen Harper did not disrupt that.
BBM~ to address

Maybe you meant First term instead of FULL term here...because After a decade working in L & D..Only full term deliveries are done ..and full term always is called deliveries/births not ABORTIONS...

Anyway...ALL abortions ( term for pregnancy interruption prior to viability of fetus) are only done after much review and almost always with more than just one physician's consults..and psychological assessments for pregnant mother.
Birth Control is easily accessible for our female citizen's..NOT something anyone has to travel hundreds of miles in order to obtain let alone find a physician to prescribe it.

Abortion | definition of abortion by Medical dictionary
Quote:
abortion [ah-bor´shun]
termination of pregnancy before the fetus is viable. In the medical sense, this term and the term miscarriage both refer to the termination of pregnancy before the fetus is capable of survival outside the uterus. The term abortion is more commonly used as a synonym for induced abortion, the deliberate interruption of pregnancy, as opposed to miscarriage, which connotes a spontaneous or natural loss of the fetus. Because of this distinction made by the average layperson, care should be exercised in the use of the word abortion when speaking of a spontaneous loss of the fetus.
Harper's Conservative Government did NOT even attempt to do what was asked in OP's first post. However..He sure was an example of a leader who exhibited cronyism! His persona actually gave me the Willies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 01:12 PM
 
27 posts, read 17,336 times
Reputation: 43
I've had several abortions (my first at 15) and I don't remember any "restrictions" imposed on me styling on. Full term abortions are rare but they are indeed legal. We have the most lenient abortion laws of any country in the world. Don't believe me? Look into it for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 01:24 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,699 posts, read 8,488,284 times
Reputation: 4883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
BBM~ to address

Maybe you meant First term instead of FULL term here...because After a decade working in L & D..Only full term deliveries are done ..and full term always is called deliveries/births not ABORTIONS...

Anyway...ALL abortions ( term for pregnancy interruption prior to viability of fetus) are only done after much review and almost always with more than just one physician's consults..and psychological assessments for pregnant mother.
Birth Control is easily accessible for our female citizen's..NOT something anyone has to travel hundreds of miles in order to obtain let alone find a physician to prescribe it.

Abortion | definition of abortion by Medical dictionary


Harper's Conservative Government did NOT even attempt to do what was asked in OP's first post. However..He sure was an example of a leader who exhibited cronyism! His persona actually gave me the Willies
You do need a physician to prescribe hormonal birth control methods. Unless you're referring to condoms and cervical caps and the like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 01:42 PM
 
Location: Canada
5,879 posts, read 2,380,562 times
Reputation: 5335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontario1989 View Post
I've had several abortions (my first at 15) and I don't remember any "restrictions" imposed on me styling on. Full term abortions are rare but they are indeed legal. We have the most lenient abortion laws of any country in the world. Don't believe me? Look into it for yourself.
Please define Full Term Abortion for me. After 45 years working in the HC field, 10 years of it in Obstetrics and never once witnessed any such thing. IF a full term baby in utero has died..then delivered is not called abortion. It's called the delivery of dead baby. which is usually induced and only surgically removed when baby's position cannot not be delivered vaginally.

I did not say restrictions..only it isn't done as easily as you assume. Back in the day..there always had to have at least 2 physicians agree. Birth control by abortion was not acceptable..thus Birth Control counselling encouraged.

Unless you actually worked in the field..just maybe the layperson's understanding may be somewhat limited to whatever you heard, told and believed.

Late-term abortions are not happening in Canada without a


Quote:
On Twitter, Jonathan Kay (the Post’s Managing Editor Comment) stated: “If you can find an incorrect sentence in this editorial, identify it.” The misleading sentence is: “It is perfectly legal in Canada to have or perform an abortion — for any reason, or no reason at all — at 20, 25, 30 or 35 weeks gestation.”
I am totally fed up with “lawyered” assertions that totally misrepresent the facts. While in Canada we do not have a law, we do have very strict professional guidelines. No physician in Canada can terminate a pregnancy over 24 weeks without serious indications that the life of the mother is at risk or that the fetus has very serious malformations. I have sat with these women as they received the terrible news and sat with them throughout the terrible long, tear-drenched process. The assertion that late-term abortions can be performed “for any reason, or no reason at all” is just not true.
I challenge Mr. Kay to find one late-term abortion performed in Canada to a healthy mother with a healthy fetus. I am one of many politicians “willing to tackle” this subject. He needs to be one of many journalists who are prepared to admit when their fine prose may have misled Canadians … in this case that late-trimester abortions are not happening in Canada without “reason.”

Dr. Carolyn Bennett, MP for St. Paul’s, Toronto.
The underlined above kind of supports my experience!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Toronto
12,581 posts, read 11,135,736 times
Reputation: 3738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It may not be indicative but Kenney has traditionally been on the "anti" side of gay rights initiatives.

For example, he personally axed a reference to gay rights in a "welcome to Canada" guide for new immigrants.
In other words 'CLOSET CASE'

My gaydar is really active with this one! He had a Fabulous time at "Fabulous Blue Tent Party"

http://www.poletical.com/gay-conserv...e-gay-word.php



Definitely a washroom stall type of guy

Last edited by fusion2; 10-21-2015 at 05:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2015, 05:15 PM
 
Location: Windsor, Ontario, Canada
11,265 posts, read 13,155,180 times
Reputation: 13462
Geez. Even I'm getting all kinds of ping backs on my gaydar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top