Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:08 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm not sure they " flatly rejected the possibility of ending the legalization of same sex marriage " based on thinking they were fine with it. They weren't. They just realized it was almost impossible to undo.

Here's Harper in 2005 before SSM became law. He wanted to PREVENT it by making it law that marriage was only between a man and a woman. Not exactly warm and fuzzy towards gay people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pnn5eSnQmxQ

and Rick Mercer, again in 2005 expands on that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRnBlqr7n7s

As for "A senior Conservative cabinet minister even came out while in office". If you are thinking about Baird, he's never actually come out. It's just that everyone knows. If you aren't thinking of Baird, I'm curious as to who you mean.
Good post Nat... That's the real Stephen Harper right there! That is one of many many reasons I voted liberal... As for the 'other Baird' there has been talk of Jason Kenney but not confirmed.. He just likes the 'single' life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 01:06 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Good post Nat... That's the real Stephen Harper right there! That is one of many many reasons I voted liberal... As for the 'other Baird' there has been talk of Jason Kenney but not confirmed.. He just likes the 'single' life
Kenney? A confirmed bachelor, just hasn't found the right girl, his work is his passion, he has never gotten over the one love of his life, Kenney?

I'm out of the loop! LOL

Old 10-21-2015, 07:20 AM

26,874 posts, read 38,004,819 times
Quote:
Kenney? A confirmed bachelor, just hasn't found the right girl, his work is his passion, he has never gotten over the one love of his life, Kenney?

I'm out of the loop! LOL
It may not be indicative but Kenney has traditionally been on the "anti" side of gay rights initiatives.

For example, he personally axed a reference to gay rights in a "welcome to Canada" guide for new immigrants.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:22 AM

Quote:

As for "A senior Conservative cabinet minister even came out while in office". If you are thinking about Baird, he's never actually come out. It's just that everyone knows. If you aren't thinking of Baird, I'm curious as to who you mean.
There were rumours about James Moore as well but then he got married (to a woman) and had a child.

As for Baird, he was asked by a reporter if he was gay and his answer was: "Yeah. So what? Next question!"

Old 10-21-2015, 08:04 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,462,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazingbeyond View Post
No they didn't. A Canadian conservative is an American liberal. Healthcare has been always free in Canada and abortion has had no restrictions ever. Full term abortions are done in every Canadian hospital daily without any "government" interference. Homosexuals are free to marry and be who they are. Stephen Harper did not disrupt that.
You realize its not free when you are paying for it through high income taxes and sales taxes, import taxes....?

Ever compare prices of similar products in the US?

Old 10-21-2015, 08:35 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,283,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I think calling a Canadian conservative an American liberal is pushing it a bit. Canada's Conservatives are center-right, the US GOP is right-wing, and then there is the far right which wouldn't gain power in either of our countries.
Canadian conservatives are definitely US Liberals. Harper, even considering all the doom and gloom in this forum, is more liberal than Obama.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
Canadian conservatives are definitely US Liberals. Harper, even considering all the doom and gloom in this forum, is more liberal than Obama.

I've heard that meme a million times but I can't say I agree. Obviously both men's hands were partly tied by their countries' respective historical legacies, but does one really think that if Canada didn't already have socialized medicine, that Stephen Harper would have rammed through something like Obamacare?

Really?

Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've heard that meme a million times but I can't say I agree. Obviously both men's hands were partly tied by their countries' respective historical legacies, but does one really think that if Canada didn't already have socialized medicine, that Stephen Harper would have rammed through something like Obamacare?

Really?
He's had a majority in Parliament for the past four years. He could pass any legislation he wanted.

The fact that Obama continued to endorse the Patriot Act, in addition to wholesale spying on the populace and warrantless drone strikes/assassinations when all those things could have been stopped with the stroke or lack of stroke of a pen speakes more than a theoretical question about removing a policy that has been in place for two generations.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
He's had a majority in Parliament for the past four years. He could pass any legislation he wanted.

The fact that Obama continued to endorse the Patriot Act, in addition to wholesale spying on the populace and warrantless drone strikes/assassinations when all those things could have been stopped with the stroke or lack of stroke of a pen speakes more than a theoretical question about removing a policy that has been in place for two generations.
So you're saying that Harper didn't touch socialized medicine with his parliamentary majority because he's an enthusiastic supporter of it?

There are lots of things that leaders have the power to do but that they won't do because certain things are borderline dogmatic in certain countries. It's not just about "power".

Old 10-21-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
So you're saying that Harper didn't touch socialized medicine with his parliamentary majority because he's an enthusiastic supporter of it?

There are lots of things that leaders have the power to do but that they won't do because certain things are borderline dogmatic in certain countries. It's not just about "power".
No, but to classify the US democrats as staunch supporters of socialized medicine is just as ludicrous a statement.

Heck what the US has with the ACA is just a subsidized user pay system. It's not socialized medicine, it's incentives to insurance companies.

What I'm saying is that the batsh!t craziness of the Republicans for the last 16 years has pulled the Democrats so far to the right, that they aren't Democrats anymore. They're Republican light. The US does not have a left leaning party. Democrats, at their absolute best are centrist.

Are the Conservatives conservative? Of course, but the thing of it is because of those dogmatic reasons, they'll never be "true" conservatives, as that's just not who Canada is. Is Harper a frothing lunatic like Nat thinks he is? Maybe, but the Conservatives aren't as a whole. The population and the system keep that in check.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada