U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 01:55 PM

18,265 posts, read 10,362,943 times

Advertisements

Brampton Bramalea maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2015, 01:59 PM

5,689 posts, read 6,532,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
What I see possibly happening is a large chunk of irreligious Canadians alongside another chunk of religious Canadians but who are increasingly devout.
That's true. I am in the Bible Belt and that is what I see. I see a lot of American evangelical influences in the churches here since GWB. I don't like it one bit but I shut up (usually).

Old 10-20-2015, 02:11 PM

2,417 posts, read 4,105,390 times
How long before your food changes? Already burgers made from ritually-slaughtered meat are on the menu at one outlet at Pearson Airport, Toronto. No alternative but at least they have the courtesy to let people know what they're selling. After seeing this sign I asked at the Subway at Pearson Airport if the meat they used in their sandwiches was ritually slaughtered. Their answer was "We don't know."

Old 10-20-2015, 02:15 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Is there any neighbor(u)rhood in any Canadian city where you are likely to find Muslim women who are "covered up"?
I'd say there is a grand total of maybe 100 or 200 Muslim women in Canada who wear face veils. I don't believe they are really concentrated in one specific area of any city, but probably where you are likely to see them the most are areas with lots of recent immigrants in the Toronto or Montreal areas.

I've only seen them a few times in my life. Including here in Ottawa-Gatineau but it's still quite rate.

Hijabs (head scarves) I see every day here in Gatineau. I don't even have to go to Ottawa. They are all over the place here.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:22 PM

7,214 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Is there any neighbor(u)rhood in any Canadian city where you are likely to find Muslim women who are "covered up"?
Yes, it could be anywhere in any neighbourhood in any Canadian city but usually covered up means head to ankles loose fitting western style clothes with a head scarf but does not include the face being covered. In my locality I have never yet seen a Muslim woman wearing any kind of face covering.

I have see them in typical western but modestly styled clothes that would be long ankle-length skirts or trousers together with long sleeved, high necked tops or blouses and a matching silk head/neck scarf.

I have also seen lots of very modern Muslim women who wear typical western clothes that are fashionable and colourful, slimmer fitting trousers or jeans or shorter (mid-calf) skirts, shorter sleeved tops or dresses and both with or without a head covering. If it wasn't for the head scarves you generally wouldn't discern they were Muslim from the way they dress themselves.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:27 PM

21,937 posts, read 27,326,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Yes, it could be anywhere in any neighbourhood in any Canadian city but usually covered up means head to ankles loose fitting western style clothes with a head scarf but does not include the face being covered. In my locality I have never yet seen a Muslim woman wearing any kind of face covering.

I have see them in typical western but modestly styled clothes that would be long ankle-length skirts or trousers together with long sleeved, high necked tops or blouses and a matching silk head/neck scarf.

I have also seen lots of very modern Muslim women who wear typical western clothes that are fashionable and colourful, slimmer fitting trousers or jeans or shorter (mid-calf) skirts, shorter sleeved tops or dresses and both with or without a head covering. If it wasn't for the head scarves you generally wouldn't discern they were Muslim from the way they dress themselves.

You can't really judge a person's religion from how they look anyway.

Some Muslims here are from Bosnia and are very light skinned.

And we have many Lebanese Christians, some of whom are as brown as people from India.

Old 10-20-2015, 02:33 PM

34,360 posts, read 41,436,735 times
Quote:

Most larger cities will have women wearing head scarves (Hijab) i see very few women in full bandit mode (Niqab) as for the full covering of the Burqa? thats just plain ridiculous and very rare to see.=
http://sikander.ca/blog/wp-content/u...0/01/niqab.gif

Old 10-20-2015, 02:46 PM

7,214 posts, read 6,570,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post

How long before your food changes? Already burgers made from ritually-slaughtered meat are on the menu at one outlet at Pearson Airport, Toronto. No alternative but at least they have the courtesy to let people know what they're selling. After seeing this sign I asked at the Subway at Pearson Airport if the meat they used in their sandwiches was ritually slaughtered. Their answer was "We don't know."
I'm not sure what you mean when you say how long before your food changes? This is multi-cultural Canada and Canada already caters to the various dietary needs and preferences of all the cultures that live here. My own food preferences will not be changing nor will they be changed for me against my will by anyone else. I'm neither Jew nor Muslim but I certainly wouldn't object to eating meat that has been slaughtered in the kosher or halal way. If it's halal or kosher it's much cleaner and more hygienically butchered and prepared meat.

Pretty much every city in Canada has establishments where both kosher and halal foods are available, sometimes together in the same establishments, and that is naturally for the convenience of Jews and Muslims but anyone can purchase those foods if they wish. If it says kosher and/or halal on the signs then you can assume the meat animal was slaughtered and prepared in the kosher or halal manner.

What Do "Kosher" and "Halal" Mean? - Chowhound

Old 10-20-2015, 03:03 PM

8,565 posts, read 11,065,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
Echoing others, so what?

Almost every commercially packaged product in North America has a kosher mark on it, or a notation if it's pareve or dairy. It's those darn Hebrews trying to quietly take us over...

Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM

4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Most larger cities will have women wearing head scarves (Hijab) i see very few women in full bandit mode (Niqab) as for the full covering of the Burqa? thats just plain ridiculous and very rare to see.=
http://sikander.ca/blog/wp-content/u...0/01/niqab.gif
You're from Montreal Jambo? None of those things are rare to see in Mtl, specially in Cote des neige or Parc ex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or