U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:46 PM

225 posts, read 148,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
In the 1990s I also worked in two places in Ontario where francophones were forbidden from speaking in French between themselves. One was a retail-type job but the other was a white collar work environment.
I worked for a telecommunications company in 2006-2008 which had the same rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 10:08 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,523,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
I worked for a telecommunications company in 2006-2008 which had the same rule.
Not cool. I mean, I get that it's a thing where they don't want you alienating customers and your coworkers, with people not understanding what you might be saying to each other, but in my estimation I would maintain that that is wrong and prejudiced.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:11 PM

12,585 posts, read 11,194,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIMBAM View Post
Not cool. I mean, I get that it's a thing where they don't want you alienating customers and your coworkers, with people not understanding what you might be saying to each other, but in my estimation I would maintain that that is wrong and prejudiced.
No such rule in my workplace and i'm in a white collar work environment.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:16 PM

Quote:
It's pretty common over here, it shocks me to hear it happens in Ontario, though.

I am pretty used to this kind of crap. The main reason I don't drink alcohol is because a little bit of a French accent comes out when I am drinking. I don't feel safe letting it known because of some hostile people.

I've been heartbroken to see stuff from people I thought were my friends coming on my Facebook feed in the past few days, too. Feeling very depressed today, actually. Really down.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:39 PM

4,699 posts, read 8,523,278 times
Quote:
It's pretty common over here, it shocks me to hear it happens in Ontario, though.

I am pretty used to this kind of crap. The main reason I don't drink alcohol is because a little bit of a French accent comes out when I am drinking. I don't feel safe letting it known because of some hostile people.

I've been heartbroken to see stuff from people I thought were my friends coming on my Facebook feed in the past few days, too. Feeling very depressed today, actually. Really down.
I'm sorry to hear that.

On this topic, I guess it can be said that some ghosts and vestiges of the bad old days are still around, but that overall Canada has become orders of magnitude more compassionate, more harmonious, and enlightened about "others" in the last few generations. I like that trajectory! It's improved even in the last ten years. I have faith that we can build an even better future, where we won't be perfect to each other, but where people like you will have less occasion to feel down. This is grassroots, organic, cultural change that we all play a part in, so do your best to create the best Canada that can be, and I'll do mine! Together, we can be a part of making tomorrow better then today, just as today is better in the respects we're talking about then yesterday was.

Old 10-21-2015, 10:53 PM

12,585 posts, read 11,194,441 times
Quote:

Dude/ette just move to Toronto lol... Its not perfect but for crying out loud leaps and bounds better than this nonsense i'm hearing.. I can't imagine virtually anyone giving you a hard time for being you here. There's a bigger world out there.

I'm seeing vague references to 'Ontario' - Ontario is a big place and has 14 million people of which more than half live in one metro - so who knows where it is in 'Ontario' this happens but there are a lot of different parts to 'Ontario' and where i'm from a lot of the stuff i'm reading in here just makes me shake my head in amazement.

I mean afraid of getting drunk because a French accent will come out - like really this actually happens.. Holy smokes I guess I've been living in my GTA bubble too long and when not here travelling outside of Canada.

Last edited by fusion2; 10-21-2015 at 11:03 PM..

Old 10-21-2015, 11:02 PM

Quote:
I'm sorry to hear that.

On this topic, I guess it can be said that some ghosts and vestiges of the bad old days are still around, but that overall Canada has become orders of magnitude more compassionate, more harmonious, and enlightened about "others" in the last few generations. I like that trajectory! It's improved even in the last ten years. I have faith that we can build an even better future, where we won't be perfect to each other, but where people like you will have less occasion to feel down. This is grassroots, organic, cultural change that we all play a part in, so do your best to create the best Canada that can be, and I'll do mine! Together, we can be a part of making tomorrow better then today, just as today is better in the respects we're talking about then yesterday was.
Not much has changed here. If I say, bring up grievances with English-speaking progressives, they dismiss it as whining and that my experiences are invalid, such a sense of feeling of dread of the dominant culture is only something like, black people feel, I'm just being a "whiner" (but, when black people protest police brutality and say "Black Lives Matter", these very same people say "All Lives Matter", dismissing black folks as well).

English-speaking people who are right of centre, well, they're more honest and I know contempt is to be expected. Can get along w/ them a little better. Though with the Trudeau victory their hostility shows up on my Facebook feed and the ****'s pretty offensive (is it lost on them, that English is his first language and many francophones loathe his old man?)

Funny I was waiting for years for Harper to be out of office then it happens and I see this crap and, after the initial happiness of the election results, I get bombarded with what people really think of people like me and it's pretty damn depressing.

Generally, the only non-francophones I hang around with here are people of colour, Blacks, Latinos, Aboriginals, Arabs, South Asians, mostly.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Dude/ette just move to Toronto lol... Its not perfect but for crying out loud leaps and bounds better than this nonsense i'm hearing.. I can't imagine virtually anyone giving you a hard time for being you here. There's a bigger world out there.

I'm seeing vague references to 'Ontario' - Ontario is a big place and has 14 million people of which more than half live in one metro - so who knows where it is in 'Ontario' this happens but there are a lot of different parts to 'Ontario' and where i'm from a lot of the stuff i'm reading in here just makes me shake my head in amazement.

I mean afraid of getting drunk because a French accent will come out - like really this actually happens.. Holy smokes I guess I've been living in my GTA bubble too long and when not here travelling outside of Canada.
I was living in Vancouver and loved it. Most of my friends over there were PoC too, though.

I only came back home because my mother is terminally ill. And I was offered a job with Vancouver pay on Halifax cost of living so, yeah, I took it.

But, I may go consider going back to Vancouver.

I have to be on a coast. I've been to Toronto, travel there regularly, actually. Great lakes aren't really the same, though.

(Sea salt air actually has the same effect on your brain as nicotine, this may be a possible explanation for my preference of coastal areas)

Old 10-22-2015, 02:19 AM

2,205 posts, read 1,769,179 times
I worked for a few Ontario high-tech companies back in the 1980s. French was not a problem. Chinese was.

Many Hong Kong Chinese were trying to escape the 1997 takeover, and came to Canada. They were very well educated, most in computers. I worked in high-tech at the time, and remember the wave of Hong Kong programmers, analyists, etc. that came to Canada. Most had a poor understanding of English, but their computer skills were what counted.

Great, but many companies found that these Chinese employees would not learn English beyond the basics (hello, good-bye, please, thank you), even after a few years of being in Canada. So, the companies eventually implemented policies that said, "Every meeting will be conducted in English, and Chinese will not be tolerated." Sensible, since half or so of the attendees at these meetings did not speak Chinese, and English was the lingua franca in Toronto.

Though most of our Chinese-speaking colleagues were tolerant, I well remember one meeting where my English-only colleague (John) and I were outnumbered by about ten Chinese-speaking colleagues. They were talking in Chinese, perhaps figuring they could defeat company policy by sheer numbers.

Then John, my other English-speaking colleague, turned to me and said, "Whan that Aprille with his shoures sote..."

I continued. "The droughte of Marche hath perced to the rote...."

Both of us continued, speaking perfect Middle English, as per Geoffrey Chaucer. We continued, eventually making it up as we went along. "Jonne, tell me whar we shoulde ought to be...." This was too much for the Chinese speakers. "Speak English!"

"We are," both John and I responded. "Just not modern English." Then John added, "Don't like it? Then speak modern English, not Chinese." And they did, and the meeting continued, and was concluded satisfactorily.

Just tossing this anecdote out there.

Old 10-22-2015, 06:36 AM

21,991 posts, read 27,488,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
I worked for a few Ontario high-tech companies back in the 1980s. French was not a problem. Chinese was.

Many Hong Kong Chinese were trying to escape the 1997 takeover, and came to Canada. They were very well educated, most in computers. I worked in high-tech at the time, and remember the wave of Hong Kong programmers, analyists, etc. that came to Canada. Most had a poor understanding of English, but their computer skills were what counted.

Great, but many companies found that these Chinese employees would not learn English beyond the basics (hello, good-bye, please, thank you), even after a few years of being in Canada. So, the companies eventually implemented policies that said, "Every meeting will be conducted in English, and Chinese will not be tolerated." Sensible, since half or so of the attendees at these meetings did not speak Chinese, and English was the lingua franca in Toronto.

Though most of our Chinese-speaking colleagues were tolerant, I well remember one meeting where my English-only colleague (John) and I were outnumbered by about ten Chinese-speaking colleagues. They were talking in Chinese, perhaps figuring they could defeat company policy by sheer numbers.

Then John, my other English-speaking colleague, turned to me and said, "Whan that Aprille with his shoures sote..."

I continued. "The droughte of Marche hath perced to the rote...."

Both of us continued, speaking perfect Middle English, as per Geoffrey Chaucer. We continued, eventually making it up as we went along. "Jonne, tell me whar we shoulde ought to be...." This was too much for the Chinese speakers. "Speak English!"

"We are," both John and I responded. "Just not modern English." Then John added, "Don't like it? Then speak modern English, not Chinese." And they did, and the meeting continued, and was concluded satisfactorily.

Just tossing this anecdote out there.
Great story!

In my case (not sure about Souriquois) it wasn't really about work-related meetings involving a larger group of people. These were always in English and francophones always participated in them in English.

It was also about one on one interactions (could be work related or not) between two people who were francophones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada