U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 03:16 PM

8,595 posts, read 11,085,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Commenting from South of our long border I have to wonder why Canada bothers with either an Air Force or a Navy. Our Pentagon would gladly supply you with some of ours so long as it kept the gravy train flowing to our favorite contractors. In realistic terns, unless Canada wants to build a bunch of submarines, a surface Navy is little more than, in a world of terminally guided ballistic missiles, floating targets. This applies to our Navy as well.

I suggest you, like we should but won't, concentrate on improving your infrastructure and, if you need to keep shipbuilders in business, your magnificent Coast Guard.
Generally speaking we like our Americans where they are, and not based on Canadian soil. As far as the RCN goes, what we need are more littoral ships for costal defense and Arctic water. I think the F35 should be killed in it's sleep and move the money to either Super Hornets, Rafales or the new Uber Grippen. Plus since the USAF doesn't seem to want them, a couple of squadrons of A-10's thrown in for free would be about perfect for surface patrol in the north.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:59 PM

12,691 posts, read 8,759,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Commenting from South of our long border I have to wonder why Canada bothers with either an Air Force or a Navy. Our Pentagon would gladly supply you with some of ours so long as it kept the gravy train flowing to our favorite contractors. In realistic terns, unless Canada wants to build a bunch of submarines, a surface Navy is little more than, in a world of terminally guided ballistic missiles, floating targets. This applies to our Navy as well.

I suggest you, like we should but won't, concentrate on improving your infrastructure and, if you need to keep shipbuilders in business, your magnificent Coast Guard.
There's this thing called sovereignty. Plus, our foreign policies are not the same.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:29 PM

225 posts, read 147,624 times
Was talking about this with friends today. I think Trudeau the junior is gonna get the Barack Obama curse: inheriting a country in pretty bad shape and and angry electorate who saw hope in him but have such high expectations of him that no human being could accomplish, and people will end up being disappointed no matter what he does, if he doesn't make all his campaign promises (which is for sure, it's not easy to pass a law) or not make good on them fast enough. He's kinda screwed. Just like Obama. This was the editorial cartoon from my hometown paper this morning.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:48 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,541,240 times
^^i know what you mean but my expectations are that he's not Harper. The niqab/islamaphobic thing Harper got going, the second class Canadian citizens, any one of those things would make me support anyone but Harper or the Conservatives. Appealing to the lowest common denominator is never going to get my vote.

Then there was his secretiveness. It was odd. I understood it in the beginning after Reformers blew it that he would want newbie MPs to stop make my fools out of themselves in public, but I thought it was going to end as they got more experienced and it never did.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:07 PM

225 posts, read 147,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
^^i know what you mean but my expectations are that he's not Harper. The niqab/islamaphobic thing Harper got going, the second class Canadian citizens, any one of those things would make me support anyone but Harper or the Conservatives. Appealing to the lowest common denominator is never going to get my vote.

Then there was his secretiveness. It was odd. I understood it in the beginning after Reformers blew it that he would want newbie MPs to stop make my fools out of themselves in public, but I thought it was going to end as they got more experienced and it never did.
I dunno maybe the euphoria will die down. I think just a lot of people are REALLY happy that Harper is gone. There was a lot of anger at him. The Islamophobia stuff really turned people off too, people who were voting Conservative for 50 years switched on that.

Some people are calling Trudeau "Stephen Harper lite" though, and are not happy.

Oh well. At least if he disappoints we have this video of him falling down a flight of stairs for catharsis

https://youtu.be/3xyiiR2ZSNs

Old 10-26-2015, 07:10 PM

498 posts, read 426,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
Congratulations Canada for electing Justin Tradeau.. What he will do to Canada looks wonderful! He is very handsome as well, and has pretty wife!

May God bless our neighbor country to the north... I wish America was like Canada as well in many things!
You must be a foreign clown. Trudeau makes George Dubya look like a brain surgeon.

Trudeau dropped out of every class he entered and became a PT drama teacher. If it wasn't for his last name he would be washing cars for a living. Bozo X10.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:38 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,292,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
You must be a foreign clown. Trudeau makes George Dubya look like a brain surgeon.

Trudeau dropped out of every class he entered and became a PT drama teacher. If it wasn't for his last name he would be washing cars for a living. Bozo X10.
Partisan is one thing, honestly is another. Trudeau completed two university degrees and taught french and English lit to junior high students. He would still be a teacher if not into politics, you may look down on teachers if you want but there is no reason to lie about him. Both Harper and Trudeau have dropped out of programs but programs are not the same as classes and you may not be aware of this but you cannot get a degree without compleing all the necessary courses.

I strongly disliked both harper and his policies but I would not need to outright lie about him in an attempt to make my point. He has an education, has worked seasonal and part time Jobs and had a career. Stephen Harper has as far as I know only one job outside of politics.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:44 PM

12,581 posts, read 11,144,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post

Good post and I think this is reflective of how most of us who voted Trudeau feel.. Chantel Hébert wrote a good article on how enigmatic Harper was even after 10 years in power.

After a decade in power, Stephen Harper remains an enigma: Hébert | Toronto Star

Old 10-26-2015, 07:45 PM

498 posts, read 426,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Partisan is one thing, honestly is another. Trudeau completed two university degrees and taught french and English lit to junior high students. He would still be a teacher if not into politics, you may look down on teachers if you want but there is no reason to lie about him. Both Harper and Trudeau have dropped out of programs but programs are not the same as classes and you may not be aware of this but you cannot get a degree without compleing all the necessary courses.

I strongly disliked both harper and his policies but I would not need to outright lie about him in an attempt to make my point. He has an education, has worked seasonal and part time Jobs and had a career. Stephen Harper has as far as I know only one job outside of politics.
Horsebllep, he dropped out of the first two he started then ended up getting a B of Education.

What jobs has Trudeau had besides PT drama teacher..Ultimate Frisbee coach?

There is also another story where Trudeau enrolled in the RMC only to have daddy bail him out 3 weeks later because he couldn't stand the military. That one will be in the headlines very soon. I know two people that will swear on a bible that Trudeau was enrolled with them but then disappeared.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:10 PM

10,024 posts, read 10,573,355 times
We will just have to wait and see how the new PM does. Personally I think he will do just fine. However, I'm totally delighted to be totally rid of Stephen Harper. He was just the worst of the worst of the worst PM this country has ever had. I detested Mike Harris and what he did in ruining Ontario will take decades to undo. When he was chased from office here, his entire team went federal and were Harpers closest advisers and aids. It's no wonder at all the dire straights they took the entire country to. They are Canada's version of the worst RWNJ GOPers who are always dragging the USA down. Anti science, anti immigrant, anti labour, anti progress of any kind and PRO the 1% to the max.

If Justin proves to be a poor leader he will still be light years ahead of the brain dead conservatives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada