U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 07:05 PM

2,253 posts, read 2,753,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
He's got some major outback riding to do if he expects to mend western fences to an extent that would assuage feelings of eastern repudiation felt by them for decades now.
Trudeau's Liberals won the popular vote in BC and Manitoba, so I assume by "the west" you mean Alberta and Saskatchewan?

Old 10-27-2015, 07:14 PM

225 posts, read 147,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Even someone like Elizabeth May?
West I meant Prairies.

I'll vote for Nenshi. That's about it. None of those former Reform wing nuts though. The Conservative Party won't make the mistake of ever letting one of them steer the ship anyway.

But the time Trudeau finishes his term, half of the Conservative base will be dead anyway. Lol

Unless they change to attract young people, fail.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:17 PM

18,283 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Mend Western fences? It's the east that's resentful to the West after 10 years of Harper. We never had a problem with you before that. You more than got your revenge for Trudeau the senior's NEP. Now drop it.

I will never, as long as I live, cast a ballot for anyone from West of Ontario unless they're a person of colour, personally.
Ooopsy! I'm an easterner and while perhaps somewhat of the same opinion that western ailenation may not have had it's foundation in actual facts; many westerners have that feeling and have held it for a long, long time. Long before Pierre and the NEP.

I myself was pissed at the still-born failure of Petro-Can to deliver on promised advantages.

We can dwell for hours on discussions about the Crow freight rates etc., but all of that is moot unless someone addresses everyone's concerns from all areas of Canada.

I've long held the opinion that if one Province had the right to feel aggrieved at it's treatment in confederation it would be the last to join; Newfoundland/Labrador.

Trudeau is going to need long arms indeed to reach out to the full breadth of Canada.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:58 PM

418 posts, read 633,242 times
I believe Canada is more than whatever party is currently in power. If Trudeau is not up to the job he will be fired in four years. Canada will not be destroyed in the mean time.

I remember having a protracted discussion with someone after Harper attained his majority. They were of the opinion that Canada had become a conservative society. I did not agree. I maintained that this country is mostly centrist and pragmatic. I believe I was right. Harper tried to drag this country down a very socially conservative path. The country replied, "no thank you".

Trudeau has earned the chance to show that he is the right man to lead. We have a chance to render our judgement in the next election.

I will withhold my opinion until he has a chance to show what he will do.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:06 PM

5,692 posts, read 6,541,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post
I believe Canada is more than whatever party is currently in power. If Trudeau is not up to the job he will be fired in four years. Canada will not be destroyed in the mean time.

I remember having a protracted discussion with someone after Harper attained his majority. They were of the opinion that Canada had become a conservative society. I did not agree. I maintained that this country is mostly centrist and pragmatic. I believe I was right. Harper tried to drag this country down a very socially conservative path. The country replied, "no thank you".

Trudeau has earned the chance to show that he is the right man to lead. We have a chance to render our judgement in the next election.

I agree with that.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Ooopsy! I'm an easterner and while perhaps somewhat of the same opinion that western ailenation may not have had it's foundation in actual facts; many westerners have that feeling and have held it for a long, long time. Long before Pierre and the NEP.

I myself was pissed at the still-born failure of Petro-Can to deliver on promised advantages.

We can dwell for hours on discussions about the Crow freight rates etc., but all of that is moot unless someone addresses everyone's concerns from all areas of Canada.

I've long held the opinion that if one Province had the right to feel aggrieved at it's treatment in confederation it would be the last to join; Newfoundland/Labrador.

Trudeau is going to need long arms indeed to reach out to the full breadth of Canada.
Therein is the problem. Somebody needs to listen to all provinces. Harper's policies benefitted the West at the expense of the rest of the country (and themselves, once oil dropped).

All federal governments have ignore the Atlantic Provinces. I voted Conservative in 2006 hoping Peter Mackay would give us a voice. He delivered somewhat, but the CPC's policies were so out of step with how people think here. Even Conservatives. Bill C-51 was the killer for the Conservatives here. And in the campaign, the Islamophobia, that was the nail in the coffin... well that and hanging around with Rob Ford... cos conservatives here are REALLY conservative so disrespecting religion and hanging with someone who smokes crack and solicits hookers doesn't fly.

Cuts to Veterans Affairs and benefits to veterans didn't sit too well either. Atlantic Canada is over represented in the military. So yes the anger was "Harper and his thugs send our sons to war but won't help them when they get back." Then, there were the cuts to science, closing down some pretty important labs over here.

I could go on. But the anger at Stephen Harper and the Conservatives is downright seething. Probably why when he did a campaign announcement related to Halifax, he did it in a city in Ontario that had a bridge that looked like the bridge in Halifax (that was like rubbing salt in the wound).

I read his biography by John Ibbitson, which is criticized by many by being not hard enough on Harper. It talks about how he himself had a resentment towards Eastern Canada. He grew up in Toronto but he was introverted and kind of a social outcast so he got bitter. Then he got mixed up with the far-right out there. He seemed to have taken it out on the country. I see a stronger rift between East and West now. I didn't really get into how me and my boyfriend broke up (over the election). He works in Alberta 3 months on 3 months off and comes home, well, he doesn't consider it home he won't admit he's from NS (something I got mad at). He started spouting off hateful stuff about French Canadians after the election on his Facebook wall which showed up on my feed, to which I got offended (I'm Acadian from Nova Scotia) and called him up and confronted him.

Pretty hateful exchanges were made about each of our respective ethnicities. He said that French never contributed anything to Canada and we're "divisive leeches". I responded to that that we gave Canada culture because English people don't have one, and took it a little bit further and said before the Normans invaded Britain in 1066, English people were nothing but a bunch of cannibals who drank beer out of skulls and lived in peat moss yurts.

He's a tar sands rat, I'm a scientist... so you know how we voted based on what we do for work lol.

I guess that relationship was gonna break eventually.

He hasn't unfriended me yet. Still posting pretty far-out right wing ****, like he turned so far to the right after the election he screeched the tires.

Today he was going on about guns. I knew he liked guns, we used to shoot guns together and I myself have a PAL, but now he's all Tea Party on there.

I've been trolling some of those kinds of people online too using the nickname "Laurentian Elite". Just because.

Another reason I back/like Trudeau. He's a better person than I am. He still extends the olive branch to Conservatives. Not something I'd do in his position. That's an admirable trait in itself, a trait I don't have (I'm more like Stephen Harper personality wise: vindictive... and that would be counterproductive to the betterment of Canada).

Last edited by Souriquois; 10-27-2015 at 08:44 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 08:18 PM

18,283 posts, read 10,383,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickh1954 View Post

A reasonable and fair assessment.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:31 PM

21,947 posts, read 27,365,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

Harper dealt with the 2008 crisis ok and was given a mandate for seven years after that - but you can't go by what he did alone. I think Canada was already structurally set up to deal with the crises much better than other countries and a lot of credit due to decisions made well before Harpers mandate.

Thank the prudent old Scots who set up our banking system for that!

Old 10-27-2015, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Thank the prudent old Scots who set up our banking system for that!
And regulations put in by the Liberals. That Mr. Harper was against.

Old 10-28-2015, 05:08 AM

2,986 posts, read 3,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Canada has underachieved after the turnaround. Compare the stock markets for example, the US stock market went from way lower than ours to way higher in a matter of a few years. On top of that I doubt it was the Conservative government's handling of the economy that lead to their defeat.
So you are blaming Harper for the world wide drop in crude oil prices?

Quote:
It was all the other things, the way they treated First Nations, Atlantic Canada, artists, journalists, the opposition, humanity groups, women the list goes on.
As a white male, I really have zero interest in special interest politics for groups who are a lot less interested in being equal, than they are having special rules made just for their benefit. To be quite honest, I have no idea why Atlantic Canada is lumped in that list.

Quote:
I did not see a Clown car of alternatives unless you are talking about the Rhino and the Pirate parties.
Really? A incompetent fool who constantly makes illogical and contradicting statements and who lacks the experience to run a lemonade stand never mind the country, or a pseudo-Communist who quickly realized his power base was largely built on the Cult of Jack than it ever was on his party's policies. This is not to say I liked Harper (on the contrary, I had many issues with him), but given the alternatives, I preferred "the devil you know" to an unknown alternative lacking any credibility whatsoever.

Quote:
The last time the Liberals were in power they ran surplus budgets, that is an actual fact. And to dismiss people who choose a political party of any sort as simply people on welfare is disgusting.
Get off your high horse. If you actually read what I wrote, I stated that people who live the "wake and bake" lifestyle do not care about the economy, not that all Trudeau supporters are on welfare. After all, how can one hold down a decent job when they are stoned or drunk 24/7. Comprende?

Quote:
Money is not the goal of life, just a way of paying for what we need and want.
Again, as an employed white male I am never going to benefit from special interest politics or government programs. I will, however, continue to be expected to pay for such. The only thing I can hope a government will do for me is keep my taxes low and maintain fiscal policies that are favourable to my employer (a bank) so I can keep my job. On that level, Harper managed to exceed all expectations.

Now we'll see what the next four years brings. Just remember what happened when America elected "Bush Jr." Sharing the family name does not at all mean that one shares mental capacity nor leadership abilities across genetic lines. From what I have seen from Justin so far, he's has am uphill battle awaiting him.

Last edited by Annuvin; 10-28-2015 at 05:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada