U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 10:06 PM

5,492 posts, read 3,912,875 times

Advertisements

Look, Justin Trudeau had virtually zero political experience (very little experience in ANYTHING, for that matter). The next thing you know, he is leading the party, and shortly after that, he is PM. I think that any fair-minded person would say that it has happened largely, although not entirely, due to his last name.
The celebrity culture, indeed.

One can make an argument that it actually started with Martin. I agree that we have it even worse here in the States. Hope you don't follow our lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 10:50 PM

5,935 posts, read 2,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Look, Justin Trudeau had virtually zero political experience (very little experience in ANYTHING, for that matter). The next thing you know, he is leading the party, and shortly after that, he is PM. I think that any fair-minded person would say that it has happened largely, although not entirely, due to his last name.
The celebrity culture, indeed.

One can make an argument that it actually started with Martin. I agree that we have it even worse here in the States. Hope you don't follow our lead.
He has more political experience than Mulroney became leader of his party or prime minister. The last liberal leader also had less experience and he has at least as much as his father did. We are not the states, other inexperienced people have won leadership of a party and brought it back to life. You don't like Trudeau, the Clinton s or maybe bush. Trudeau worked for what he accomplished, his name was Botha benefit and a hindersnce. Where I live it is more a hindersnce than a benefit. Life is not as black and white as you suggest. Go work for Saunders or Trump then. Your points reflect your views of the state's and your opinion of Trudeau and not the reality of why he got where he did.

And Trudeau has lots of experience, teaching, being a mature student, running an organization, more non political experience than Harper has and more than Mulroney or Trump. Martin had almost a decade of being finance minister and a good one at that. Unlike the States our premiers are unlikely to become Prime Ministers.

I get the feeling that you think Canadians looked at his last name and voted for him, a lot voted for him in spite of his last name. The Liberals came first or second in most ridings in Alberta yet Pierre is still one of the most hated political figures here. The father was also not well liked in Quebec.

Worry about what you are doing instead of a once only ocurance here.

Old 10-25-2015, 07:45 AM

12,581 posts, read 11,139,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
He has more political experience than Mulroney became leader of his party or prime minister. The last liberal leader also had less experience and he has at least as much as his father did. We are not the states, other inexperienced people have won leadership of a party and brought it back to life. You don't like Trudeau, the Clinton s or maybe bush. Trudeau worked for what he accomplished, his name was Botha benefit and a hindersnce. Where I live it is more a hindersnce than a benefit. Life is not as black and white as you suggest. Go work for Saunders or Trump then. Your points reflect your views of the state's and your opinion of Trudeau and not the reality of why he got where he did.

And Trudeau has lots of experience, teaching, being a mature student, running an organization, more non political experience than Harper has and more than Mulroney or Trump. Martin had almost a decade of being finance minister and a good one at that. Unlike the States our premiers are unlikely to become Prime Ministers.

I get the feeling that you think Canadians looked at his last name and voted for him, a lot voted for him in spite of his last name. The Liberals came first or second in most ridings in Alberta yet Pierre is still one of the most hated political figures here. The father was also not well liked in Quebec.

Worry about what you are doing instead of a once only ocurance here.
I agree, the whole you have to have experience as a Lawyer, Economist or a corporate big wig to be qualified to be a leader is overblown.. There are many qualities to being a good leader.

All this talk is moot anyway - he's the PM and he has a majority mandate... Now let's see what he does with it.. The only thing that matters now is what he does as PM moving forward, not his past and this is the case with any new leader.. People don't care if you were the CEO of Goldman Sachs or a Drama Teacher, they simply want you to follow through on your policies and to be there for us as our National leader.. Clearly after 10 years of Harper, Canadians were willing to take a new direction because they weighed Mr Harpers leadership and concluded that he wasn't the leader we want in 2015 as we did in 2006, 2008 and 2011.

Old 10-27-2015, 04:50 AM

931 posts, read 613,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I agree, the whole you have to have experience as a Lawyer, Economist or a corporate big wig to be qualified to be a leader is overblown.. There are many qualities to being a good leader.

All this talk is moot anyway - he's the PM and he has a majority mandate... Now let's see what he does with it.. The only thing that matters now is what he does as PM moving forward, not his past and this is the case with any new leader.. People don't care if you were the CEO of Goldman Sachs or a Drama Teacher, they simply want you to follow through on your policies and to be there for us as our National leader.. Clearly after 10 years of Harper, Canadians were willing to take a new direction because they weighed Mr Harpers leadership and concluded that he wasn't the leader we want in 2015 as we did in 2006, 2008 and 2011.

The Germans went along with a failed artist/corporal with no experience in any government position and look how that turned out.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:04 AM

3,402 posts, read 4,446,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post

If anything, leading a large bank like Goldman Sachs would make me trust you less.

JT gets my approval if he does even....oh I dunno, ONE SINGLE thing for young people in this country. University and college is cripplingly expensive, you know.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 AM

21,946 posts, read 27,348,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post
The Germans went along with a failed artist/corporal with no experience in any government position and look how that turned out.
Jesuschristalmighty

Old 10-27-2015, 07:58 AM

8,593 posts, read 11,077,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Jesuschristalmighty
No...I'm pretty sure his name was a lot shorter than that...

Godwin's Law has been invoked.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 10-27-2015 at 09:20 AM..

Old 10-27-2015, 08:10 AM

5,935 posts, read 2,289,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemissrock View Post

Oh yes a random inference to Hitler that has no relationship to the topic. Sick

Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 AM

1,656 posts, read 1,638,792 times
Comparing Justin Trudeau to Adolf Hitler?

Old 10-27-2015, 08:40 AM

225 posts, read 147,602 times
Wow. Canada has become America, complete with people comparing a leader who signifies a generational transfer of power (the most powerfull people in the new government are mostly under 45 now, the Boomers no longer control Canada) to Hitler.

I was joking last night "Thanks Trudeau" will become Canada's equivalent to "Thanks Obama" so when I woke up with a cold I said "Thanks Trudeau". Lol.

Boomers and people of younger generations who didn't have the brainpower to gain independence in thinking from their parents which normal humans do during their teens are so butthurt it's hilarious! They must have been clutching their pearls and purses when younger people showed up to vote this election. They passed the Fair Elections Act to prevent such a thing and that backfired, didn't it?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or