Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 04:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,776 times

Advertisements

Justin Trudeau is hot hot hot ... Just saw he got sworn in as Prime Minister. Congrats!

Ps! Ladies co-worker here in the states will apply for Canadadian citizenship
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 04:38 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,366,498 times
I just don't know how this is going to work out... He's been in Parliament since 2008, but he still seems "new" somehow. Plus lots of new MPs in his new government.

Glad to know that he's the hot new politician on the block, though. Hope he can live up to expectations.

Old 11-04-2015, 05:39 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Haar! The Bombardier bailout request is going to be his first test. Poor guy doesn't even get a period to settle in and he's faced with yet another Canadian taxpayers bailout for a badly managed Quebec company. This will be interesting to watch.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:04 PM

225 posts, read 203,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Haar! The Bombardier bailout request is going to be his first test. Poor guy doesn't even get a period to settle in and he's faced with yet another Canadian taxpayers bailout for a badly managed Quebec company. This will be interesting to watch.
Yeah my Conservative mother who is mad I voted Liberal says "you think your taxes are high now people on welfare will get all your money!" And she justifies big business bailouts as needed for the economy. Because she always has US TV stations on.

I'd rather a little bit of my taxes go to people who need help than a failed corporation.

Being the son of PET he has this (i think unfair) baggage and he could more easily alienate Quebec or the Western provinces. Ugh. That nice hair is gonna turn grey real fast.

But I like the gender equal cabinet. Pretty solid cabinet too (except for Stephane Dion must have been smoking the funny stuff when that idea entered his mind ).

Old 11-04-2015, 06:19 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,371,715 times
I read today that the TFSA will be clawed back to $5,000.00 from $10,000.00 which is fine..but his purposal appears to be coming to fruition..No lower or middle class could ever soak away $10,000.00 a year!! But what Im not sure of is the amount not invested or added to TFSA annually carried forward?? Because par chance..windfall could allow accumulated amt. could then be invested/deposited??

I took advantage of TFSA when working..but since retiring...funds aren't so free'd up to do so..Gotta live and pay bills.. IYKWIM

But I'm like every other Canadian..waiting for next shoe to drop..HAVE NO IDEA what will be coming down the tubes??? At least, or as it appears he plans to make things easier on middle and lower income folks....I already saw he was going to claw back OAP IF income were greater than $79,000.00+ (ballpark that)..and again..Does NOT affect me..

I guess, I'm a regular middle class folk who worked over 45 years professionally plus worked as a teenager since age 13..My highest wage per year was $55,000 a year..Guess that tells the tale, eh?

Old 11-04-2015, 06:31 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,484,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Souriquois View Post
Yeah my Conservative mother who is mad I voted Liberal says "you think your taxes are high now people on welfare will get all your money!" And she justifies big business bailouts as needed for the economy. Because she always has US TV stations on.

I'd rather a little bit of my taxes go to people who need help than a failed corporation.

Being the son of PET he has this (i think unfair) baggage and he could more easily alienate Quebec or the Western provinces. Ugh. That nice hair is gonna turn grey real fast.

But I like the gender equal cabinet. Pretty solid cabinet too (except for Stephane Dion must have been smoking the funny stuff when that idea entered his mind ).
Hey; that Foreign Affairs portfolio might turn out to be the most brilliant of all his appointments. I'm also liking the mix.

I cannot believe the Bombardier fiasco has come back like a bad case of gout. The gift that keeps on giving. I remember when they got a grant to develop a green lawn mower engine and thought to myself 'if they want to build and market a new product why do I have to pay their development costs.'

I thought Marc Garneau was worthy of a higher order of office but transport should at least demonstrate his acumen.

I was one deathly against a sea change in government but must say I've become entranced by the upbeat fervour over this and hope for good things to come of it.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:41 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,324,850 times
It does feel like a dark cloud has lifted. I'm not sure how I feel about his 50/50 male/female split. I would hate to think anyone got a job they were not the best suited for based on sex. But on the other hand, women have often been passed over due to sex. I think it is the arbitrariness of saying you will have a cabinet half male and half female before you even know who will be elected that troubles me a bit. How do you know in advance who will be best qualified out of those elected? It could be that ALL the females are better suited than the men, for example.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
It does feel like a dark cloud has lifted. I'm not sure how I feel about his 50/50 male/female split. I would hate to think anyone got a job they were not the best suited for based on sex. But on the other hand, women have often been passed over due to sex. I think it is the arbitrariness of saying you will have a cabinet half male and half female before you even know who will be elected that troubles me a bit. How do you know in advance who will be best qualified out of those elected? It could be that ALL the females are better suited than the men, for example.
Since when were people think about people being best suited for cabinet before the gender parity thing came up?

Really good article from a satire magazine.

50% female cabinet appointments lead to 5000% increase in guys who suddenly care about merit in cabinet - The Beaverton - North America's Trusted Source of News

When asked why his cabinet is 50% women and diverse... not all white men... he's like "it's 2015"

Lol Mic drop!

Mmmmhmmm. Ball so hard mufukas wanna fine me!

Old 11-04-2015, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Hey; that Foreign Affairs portfolio might turn out to be the most brilliant of all his appointments. I'm also liking the mix.

I cannot believe the Bombardier fiasco has come back like a bad case of gout. The gift that keeps on giving. I remember when they got a grant to develop a green lawn mower engine and thought to myself 'if they want to build and market a new product why do I have to pay their development costs.'

I thought Marc Garneau was worthy of a higher order of office but transport should at least demonstrate his acumen.

I was one deathly against a sea change in government but must say I've become entranced by the upbeat fervour over this and hope for good things to come of it.
There are some controversies coming out now, in a very timely manner. The whole Keystone thing and now there is more investment money leaving Canada than any country in the world due to the collapse of oil... but that was Harper's fault for banking on it. But they'll blame it on Justin.

I dunno maybe Harper saw it all coming and lost the election on purpose. Sure looked like it during the campaign.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I read today that the TFSA will be clawed back to $5,000.00 from $10,000.00 which is fine..but his purposal appears to be coming to fruition..No lower or middle class could ever soak away $10,000.00 a year!! But what Im not sure of is the amount not invested or added to TFSA annually carried forward?? Because par chance..windfall could allow accumulated amt. could then be invested/deposited??

I took advantage of TFSA when working..but since retiring...funds aren't so free'd up to do so..Gotta live and pay bills.. IYKWIM

But I'm like every other Canadian..waiting for next shoe to drop..HAVE NO IDEA what will be coming down the tubes??? At least, or as it appears he plans to make things easier on middle and lower income folks....I already saw he was going to claw back OAP IF income were greater than $79,000.00+ (ballpark that)..and again..Does NOT affect me..

I guess, I'm a regular middle class folk who worked over 45 years professionally plus worked as a teenager since age 13..My highest wage per year was $55,000 a year..Guess that tells the tale, eh?
TFSA didn't go up to $10,000 yet. I thought that was a Harper campaign promise? I have a TFSA and I can only put $5500 in mine.

And yeah Harper's plan only benefited the rich. Kinda funny my mother trying to get me to vote Con because I have money but I didn't always have money, so I'd rather pay more tax so people less well off than me can be a little better off. That's just me though.

I bought cannabis stock the day before the election. I'm gonna regret that when I file my income tax I think.

Last edited by Souriquois; 11-04-2015 at 07:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada